X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stumped with this powder room smell

There is a smell in customers powder room, mostly emanating out of the boxed in screen area at the top 1/2 of a boxed in (and tiled) vertical heat pipe with decorative screen. It's June, and problem just started several weeks ago - so not heating related. Smell is sewer/methane type smell. I changed seal on toilet - didn't solve problem. I even did smoke test - nothing found. So then, I put cuff all around outide vent pipe and have it blowing away from house, just in case gas was leaking from there into the floor above - It still didn't solve the problem. Really dk what else to do. MAybe I was a bit messy with new wax seal and although new, maybe this one is not on right? Also, customer says that the room was redone several years ago and they had their plumber move the toilet two inches closer to wall. I'm not sure how that was done - but if some other flang or other pipe assembly is taking to stink hole, maybe that's the problem. Any good ideas are appreciated? Thanks

Re: stumped with this powder room smell

first welcome to the board,

is there a humidifier on the furnace?

relative had one that stopped working and when I pulled it out it was like a septic tank in the humidifier tank in the furnace plenum. it was under the bath room and the first thought was it was leaking sewer gases,

what else is it over, a crawl space, or basement, if over a crawl space look under and see if any thing is leaking,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Have your plumber do a peppermint test on the line. My bet is you have a vent in the wall cut off and the line duct line is carrying the odor. I would be happy to recommend someone in your area if you would like.

Comment

New tile? I had a bathroom I tiled that the grout gave off a sulfur smell for weeks. First time for that and the manufacture had no idea why, swore it was sewer gas but after a month or so, smell went away. The only thing we could tie it to had to be the grout.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          first welcome to the board,

is there a humidifier on the furnace?

relative had one that stopped working and when I pulled it out it was like a septic tank in the humidifier tank in the furnace plenum. it was under the bath room and the first thought was it was leaking sewer gases,

what else is it over, a crawl space, or basement, if over a crawl space look under and see if any thing is leaking,
          No humidifier. UNderneath is the garage with a ceiling that is full of insulation materials - I opened it up and found what looks like an animal nest with droppings - but Idk if that's causing smell because it didn't smell the same to me. I did smoke test - but didn't see any leaks . Do you think the peppermint test could show it instead ?- if the leak is behind a wall. Or, would I smell it even without a leak behind the wall, if its just traveling through the pipes?

Comment

I was going to say dead animal, mouse or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              I was going to say dead animal, mouse or something.
              That would be my first guess ESPECIALLY after hearing that you discovered a nest of some sort.
              Atlantic Mechanical
              Plumbing Services We make sure a royal flush will always beat a full house.

Comment

Talked to the contractor today about the bathroom we had this problem with. Turned out to be the rubber gasket on the recessed can light in the shower. When it got warm it gave off the nasty smell. FYI.

Comment

ac. blame it on the electrician. lol. breid.......................

Comment

Dang sparkies! Always tryin to get the turd hurders into trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                      ac. blame it on the electrician. lol. breid.......................
                      I don't blame the electrician, I blame the stupid cheap contractor that demands cheaper and cheaper rates and forces the electrician to cut costs by buying cheap crap from China.

Comment

i was being facetious, i'm also a licensed electrician. breid..................

Comment

I figured so, no hurt feelings. But its fun to blame the electrician! :lol

Comment

master plumber
                            master electrician
                            master baiter
                            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

i'll be on jobs where i'm both. a lot of times others don't know . i bad mouth what i'm not doing today and wait for them to go off. lol. breid.....................

Comment

Working...
                              X