• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compressed air lines for shop

Thanks for all your feedback and professional advice on this fellas
    Looks like I will be flipping a coin on this

Comment

Also, keep in mind, if your doing this yourself, if you do go copper, you don't need much for special tools. If you go Iron and dont have a threading machine, you are going to need to rent one or you will be stuck with stock length pipe and you wont have drops where you need them but where stock pipe lengths put them. You can have HD cut you lengths and they will thread them, but you will need to know all your custom lengths or you will be making alot of back and forth runs to HD (or your local pipe supplier). Not sure on the cost of having them thread pipe either. Adding drops and making changes to copper is MUCH easier IMHO later down the road.

For what its worth, there are 3 dealerships near me that have remodeled over the past few years and ALL off them went with copper for their airline systems. A friend of mine works in an autobody place and they have copper lines and another friend of mine just built a new autobody shop and they too went with copper. There must be a good reason why they have decided to spend the extra coin for the copper. Another part of it may have to do with labor costs to install it. You can install copper pretty damn fast, especially if using 20' sticks. Iron has to take longer and that means more $$ for labor. And if they are using a pro-press, yes fittings are more, but that would be very very fast to install.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        Also, keep in mind, if your doing this yourself, if you do go copper, you don't need much for special tools. If you go Iron and dont have a threading machine, you are going to need to rent one or you will be stuck with stock length pipe and you wont have drops where you need them but where stock pipe lengths put them. You can have HD cut you lengths and they will thread them, but you will need to know all your custom lengths or you will be making alot of back and forth runs to HD (or your local pipe supplier). Not sure on the cost of having them thread pipe either. Adding drops and making changes to copper is MUCH easier IMHO later down the road.

For what its worth, there are 3 dealerships near me that have remodeled over the past few years and ALL off them went with copper for their airline systems. A friend of mine works in an autobody place and they have copper lines and another friend of mine just built a new autobody shop and they too went with copper. There must be a good reason why they have decided to spend the extra coin for the copper. Another part of it may have to do with labor costs to install it. You can install copper pretty damn fast, especially if using 20' sticks. Iron has to take longer and that means more $$ for labor. And if they are using a pro-press, yes fittings are more, but that would be very very fast to install.
        You can buy hand threader reasonable. I use hand threaders on 95% of the threading I do which is not much. I would use coppa for a customer or if it was for my own house I would use pex for air. Rehau everloc is approved for air but regular pex crimp fittings are not. Let me stress that its not approved for air but what will function and whats approved are two different animals.

Comment

Not 1 person mentioned in-line air dryers.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Not 1 person mentioned in-line air dryers.
            I have been trying to convince my dad to buy one, but with the way business has fallen over the past years it will be awhile before that happens. A good quality one, not one of those harbor freight units, are some good money. My autobody buddy has a HF unit in his garage, said that it sucks.

Comment

[QUOTE=Flux;347646]Not 1 person mentioned in-line air dryers.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              black pipe is coated with a clear lacquer finish that last just long enough to get across the ocean and keep if from rusting in the salt air. it by no means gives any protection to the interior of the pipe.

galvanized pipe is protected by the galvanized / zinc coating to help prevent rusting when exposed to both liquids and the soil it might be buried in.

please show me any gal pipe that has flaked off in the presence of compressed air. even with natural gas our gal pipe doesn't flake out here. are you telliing us that your compressed air is different than our compressed air

personally i would use copper for the air lines as it will never corrode and is easily cut and soldered together. also not a bad idea to put drip legs and slope the lines to capture moisture. of course you could always install desiccant separators in the lines.

rick.
              much much less money for a home shop. while 1 is installed, the second set can be drying in the sun or oven.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

When I did service for a major used car company they had 6 stores with 30+ tech service bays and 1 main compressor. 3 were black steel, 3 were copper. The copper systems had more repairs to the pipe, the steel systems had more problems with the tools. Air dryers in the new compressors solved the water/rust problems.

I have never seen galvanized air line system. Galvanized piping was not allowed for gas lines here for a long time, but try getting an inspector to give you a straight answer. The common suggestion is the zinc coating will flake over time, I have seen this on some 1/2" galvanized nipples that I have removed when replacing water heaters.

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;347667]
                  Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  Not 1 person mentioned in-line air dryers.[/QUOTE]

much much less money for a home shop. while 1 is installed, the second set can be drying in the sun or oven.

rick.
                  Never heard the word Desiccant before...had to look it up. But it should be common practice to install dryers for moisture regardless.
                  Last edited by Flux; 06-08-2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X