X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed air lines for shop

Having a new shop built and wanted some advice on weather to go with black pipe or copper for the compressed air and your reasons why please.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Re: Compressed air lines for shop

I would use black pipe. Reason cost. I've had blackpipe in my shop for over 30 years no problems.

Comment

I would use black pipe as well for the same reasons as above, and plus it looks much nicer.

Comment

I went with Galvanized pipe in my shop, 3/4 inch, and put drip legs on ever drop, (the drip legs are increased in size and I put a drain in the bottom of each one) and followed the suggestions in the attached drawings, for the most part.
        Attached Files
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My dad went with copper in his shop this time around. His last two places had iron pipe and even with filters and water seperators he still had rust issues. When your using expensive air tools and spraying finish the last thing you want is rust flakes (no matter how small) in your lines. So, my dad took all the iron pipe from his last shop and cut it up and now has a large selection of pipe clamps. If you do go with iron pipe, stay away from the galvanized, it rusts the worst, black pipe is coated inside so it tends to rust much slower, plus the galvanized coating eventually flakes off and is Hell on tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            My dad went with copper in his shop this time around. His last two places had iron pipe and even with filters and water seperators he still had rust issues. When your using expensive air tools and spraying finish the last thing you want is rust flakes (no matter how small) in your lines. So, my dad took all the iron pipe from his last shop and cut it up and now has a large selection of pipe clamps. If you do go with iron pipe, stay away from the galvanized, it rusts the worst, black pipe is coated inside so it tends to rust much slower, plus the galvanized coating eventually flakes off and is Hell on tools.
            black pipe is coated with a clear lacquer finish that last just long enough to get across the ocean and keep if from rusting in the salt air. it by no means gives any protection to the interior of the pipe.

galvanized pipe is protected by the galvanized / zinc coating to help prevent rusting when exposed to both liquids and the soil it might be buried in.

please show me any gal pipe that has flaked off in the presence of compressed air. even with natural gas our gal pipe doesn't flake out here. are you telliing us that your compressed air is different than our compressed air

personally i would use copper for the air lines as it will never corrode and is easily cut and soldered together. also not a bad idea to put drip legs and slope the lines to capture moisture. of course you could always install desiccant separators in the lines.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

with my small compressor and using hoses I had water and crap all the time coming out the hose,

with the new compressor, (stationary) and using the pipe, and the drip legs, I have yet to get a mist of moisture, out of the line, and have not had flakes or rust or galvanized, and we use the air a lot, run a tire machine, use air tools and the blow gun a lot,

(the tank on the compressor is a vertical tank with a mid air exit, which helps separate a lot of water, (also but a ball valve on the compressor to drain it and do drain it ever few days, and the extra large drip legs I think help a lot, I only have drained a little water out of them (where the line run up and over the shop door the drip on that line catches more than the others and is in front of the other out lets,
              I also think having the 3/4" pipe helps some as the velocity of the air is reduced some in the pipe).

the big NO NO is using a plastic pipe as it can shatter and cause shrapnel injures,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Copper with Pro Press fittings
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I used copper pipe, to avoid any future problems with rust in the lines. Rust is abrasive and kills air tools; particles that break off will clog your spray equipment and ruin the finish.

Gotta be careful with your design that you're not draining back towards the tank. I come out of my (stationary) compressor with a horizontal line, then a drip leg inline with the vertical going up to the ceiling. All horizontals are sloped toward other drip legs. In addition to air tools, I spray a lot of different materials, including auto paints, so any moisture in the line is death.

Gobby, if you plan to spray anything, my advice is stay away from automatic tool oilers. Oil gets everywhere in the lines, and contaminates your hoses, too.

Comment

Copper, there is no other choice.

If you search the forum you will find this topic in the past maybe 4 years ago.

In there we kicked this around for a month I think.
                    I worked in a place where there are many high value air-operated components.

Believe me if they had it to do over again they would have put copper in even though we
                    are talking about 3 miles of copper, and that estimate is probably on the low end. At the
                    sister facility they used copper. Cost more up front yes, but the amount of maintenance we
                    do on the pneumatic components there is about 15% of the work on the side with the black pipe.

Once you go copper you'll never go back.

the big NO NO is using a plastic pipe as it can shatter and cause shrapnel injures,
                    BHD is right. NEVER use PVC for pressurized air lines or to air test PVC pipe.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Rick, thanks for that info. In MN, maybe its due to extreme cold and hot, along with humidity, but iron pipe rusts pretty bad. My dad has a 80gallon upright compressor with a midway outlet and drip legs and even a water seperator and still gets water in the lines. My grandfather ran a huge shop a while ago and his galvanized pipes rusted damn near closed and had issues with the iron chips and galvanized coatings eating o-rings on pnumatic tools and valves.

Comment

I'm a volunteer firefighter and I installed black-iron airlines over 15 years ago for our firehouse to supply all of our fire trucks so they have constant air at all times. Why have I not had any rust issues in 15 years? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm the one who maintains the system and I have yet to have any problems due to moisture or rust.

Comment

Used copper in my home garage(300' of it),drip legs at every drop and a section of switch back piping on the ceiling with a drip leg at each end that helps give any moisture time to condense and get trapped before it get's to the point of use.
                          Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

copper is a good choice and there are several systems manufactured just for air.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              I went with Galvanized pipe in my shop, 3/4 inch, and put drip legs on ever drop, (the drip legs are increased in size and I put a drain in the bottom of each one) and followed the suggestions in the attached drawings, for the most part.
                              great idea!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X