Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Need extension handle to turn on/off water valve - where to find one? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need extension handle to turn on/off water valve - where to find one?

My husband (74 years old) has to lay on his belly (I did it today, but I travel a lot and he usually has to deal with this issue alone) to turn on and off the water valve for the drip irrigation system. It's a real pain for him. Granted, it should only be a couple times a year, but as right now, the first time this season, naturally there is a leak and we have to turn the valve off until we get the leak fixed. The handle on the valve is round, like on an older hose bib (the newer hose bib handles here are now oval, for some reason). I am looking for some sort of entension handle, similar to the "tee" handle we had in CA for the water main, BUT that woukld not work in this instance, as the "tee" is not configured for the round handle with the many holes in it. So, any ideas on where to find something like this? We tried HD/Lowes/Ace/etc - no luck. I am sure I will have to go to a pro supply house or order over the internet. I saw this <http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SUPERIOR-TOOL-Water-Shut-Off-Wrench-1LNX8>, but can't tell if this is what I am looking for. Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Nini

Re: Need extension handle to turn on/off water valve - where to find one?

UPDATE - the embedded link to the tool is NOT going to work, as more research indicates the "cup" at the bottom is only for the oval supply valves, like under sinks and at toilets. Hoping for some info that will help me. At this point I am envisioning a Rube Goldberg contraption of my own making - a couple old serving folks duct-taped together so they fit in the holes in the valve handle, and a horizontal piece, probably made out of a piece of EMT or, better yet, plumbing pipe. Help me BUY something instead!

Comment

That tool appears to be for angle stops. If you are able to post a picture of the handle you are working with we may be able to help.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i've had luck with an ordinary sprinkler key. the "u" tends to hook in the holes of the handle and allows you to spin the handle.

the keys come in 3' and 9'' long. cost just a few bucks.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I made a extension for a vale I have in a pit, and welded on a small two prong fork type end to a shaft, and (even in that I messed up) as the spacing was not exact, but I can place one fork prong in a hole of the valve and the other on the side and rotate the handle with crawing down in the pit,

it could be as simple as a pipe with some of the end hack sawed off to form two prongs and some thing for leverage on the top, hole drilled in to it for a screw driver to slide into or a slot,

the picture is a manufacture one called a sprinkler key, mine is longer than the picture but basically the same
          home depot appears to sell them and I would guess any other well equipped lawn and garden center, that deals with irrigation items,
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BHD; 06-07-2011, 09:27 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm assuming you want something long so he does not have to bend over. You could bolt an angle to the handle. Then take a piece of pipe cut a slot in end and on the other put a tee on it, or use a water main key. You could also take the handle off & see if you can find a socket that will fit the square shaft & use a long extention or combination of extentions. Snap-On makes some small square sockets. You can also try 8 or 12 point sockets.

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will post what we end up with. I am considering using several pieces of all-thread mounted on a block of wood in a pattern (essentially a circle) that will allow the all-thread to fit into some/all of the holes in the handle; then a homemade "tee" for the handle. But right now, the sprinkler key seems to sound like it fits my rule - "easiest, quickest, cheapest first"

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X