X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer drain problems

hi everyone, I am new and have been reading the forums for the last 2 days looking for information on this problem I have with my client but haven't found the answer as yet. Here goes hope you can help!

The homeowner wanted their kitchen moved about 15 feet away from their previous stack so i broke the concrete and ran the PVC 4" in the ground with the proper slope to the new location, turned into ABS and a 3" cleanout and a dryfitted a 3" threaded cap to prevent sewer gas from coming in to the house. Then I tied in another PVC connection not far from the first along the same sanitary line and went the other way for an exterior drain for a walkout, left the floor partially open with an unglued 90' pointing up with a threaded cap on top.

Both tie-ins were done with tee wye connections and a 45' to aim the flow downstream in the sanitary pipe.

Neither connection is being used yet, nor are they vented yet.

Ever since this was done the homeowner has been complaining of a sewer gas smell in a powder room which is tied into a totally different stack 15 feet away from the one I tied into. It looks like theres plenty of water in the sink p-trap and the wax seal on the toilet is good.

My mistake so far as I can tell is both connections occur within 4 feet of the stack.

Is this a mistake, and if I vent one or both pipes will it solve the problem?
    Should i break the concrete again and move them?
    Could I put a cheater vent in the powder room and would it help even though the room is right beside the stack?

My time is short for this because they have a wedding there on saturday and they dont want this smell present. Even if there is a temporary fix it would buy me time.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Re: sewer drain problems

Sounds like your seal (wax ring--cost under $5) needs replaced. That would explain the leak coming from under the toilet. The snaking problem could be roots growing in one of the outside lines holding the paper in clumps before they get washed away to the main sewer line. Could be helpful to call in a drain videographer to catch the reason on video tape once and for all. All the money it cost to unclog the drain 4-6 times a year could be solved in ONE video snake. Think about it and good luck! I'm having sewer problems myself and will be making an apt soon for the video snake. Tired of snaking the dang thing out so often! Good luck!stainless steel sink...
    Last edited by dellaq1; 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM.
    stainless steel sink

Comment

Try to replace the seal, it might possible to be one of the reason behind leakage. Call the expert plumber and get the toilet checked.

Comment

Well Now Water leakage is somewhat a common problem ,this causes wastage of gallons of water and we have to make efforts to save the water by applying techniques just like Acoustic techniques that can determine the sound of leakage due to transmitters present in it and we can also use thermostat technique that can be able to use to catch hidden image through thermostat camera.It is very good technique that you told that "your house has leaks is to check by your water meter" Note the reading and hours later, after no water was used, recheck the water meter reading.and we can able to use bucket water for bath as it saves gallons of water that wastes from shower.If we found any leakage, then we must consult with the water leak detection service providers.
        Water Leak Detection Equipment hire

Comment

These are the most pointless and off topic replies I have ever seen to anything. I'd attempt to give the OP a useful answer, but the thread is over a year old to boot.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

alex, it's just a spam post.

look at his link. it's to the uk. not even a good lier about being in new york.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

You should have to replace the seal or if you repair it then do properly. Avoid damages and breakage or you have another option to call for a expert plumber near you,,..
              Water Line Repair Services

Comment

Okie, you and the other pro's can complain about the DIYers ruining this forum, but the spammers are the real problem, and they are "pro's"...

Comment

I'm not sure which is worse - spammers who pull up old threads and pretend to help (in some cases getting the answer from another website) while actually the real purpose is to display their business logo or a bunch of plumbers who gang up on some poor person looking for advice and tell them to hire a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                    I'm not sure which is worse - spammers who pull up old threads and pretend to help (in some cases getting the answer from another website) while actually the real purpose is to display their business logo or a bunch of plumbers who gang up on some poor person looking for advice and tell them to hire a pro.
                    Spammers. We care about those poor DIY people. With the exception of a few people many see a dangerous or expensive reprocussion from DIY.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                      Spammers. We care about those poor DIY people. With the exception of a few people many see a dangerous or expensive reprocussion from DIY.
                      Now we don't want to go around the old argument again do we Offering advice and assessing the problem is not the same as telling someone to hire a pro - they have to decide that for themselves armed with the correct information. However I'm happy to see more positive threads with actual constructive help lately.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                        Now we don't want to go around the old argument again do we Offering advice and assessing the problem is not the same as telling someone to hire a pro - they have to decide that for themselves armed with the correct information. However I'm happy to see more positive threads with actual constructive help lately.

Anytime you want to go a round or fifty....
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • conductor fault locating
                        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I'm tired tonight - another time I'm sure Mark will be happy.

Comment

Working...
                          X