Water heater goes out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater goes out

I got a call to repair w/h customer says the water heater pilot lights and stays lit until you turn knob to " on". h/o replaced therma couple already. I am going to look at tomorow. its about 6 years old. Sounds like a control valve but I have done very few repairs on w/h,s . Any advice on diagnosing appreciated

Re: Water heater goes out

The.rmocouple is not bad if it keeps the pilot lit aftereleasing the button and before turning to ON.
    Sounds like a valve problem. Obstruction? Condensation?

Have wanted to take a valve apart to see how it works.

I would try repeatedly turning the valve knob from PILOT to ON to see if that corrects the problem.
    If no result, from OFF to PILOT to ON many times to see if that displaces an obstruction.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-17-2011, 09:13 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Might be a bad flame sensor.I had one of those not too long ago. Forgot the brand but had the enclosed burner with the sight glass.There is a reset button on the flame sensor..White button I am thinking.I reset it once and it popped out and out went the burner ..Waited a few minutes reset it again and actually backed out the screws a tad bit so it would not trigger the flame sensor as easily .That was 8 months ago.Still working
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Actualy found a problem. It had rats nest in the flue , cleaned that out. also it had a combustion door that is automatic closing dont know why it was closed could not reset it. managed to disable it but it still wasent burning properly. I wound up replacing the heater. feel kind of dumb but thats what I did ... It was a GE model from 2006

Comment

oh, if it was a ge, it's made by rheem, has a little glass vial that holds the damper up and allows the heater to fire. that's their version of a high limit switch.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyplumber View Post
            Actualy found a problem. It had rats nest in the flue , cleaned that out. also it had a combustion door that is automatic closing dont know why it was closed could not reset it. managed to disable it but it still wasent burning properly. I wound up replacing the heater. feel kind of dumb but thats what I did ... It was a GE model from 2006
            So why would flue obstruction affect the pilot? Would combustion gasses not simply spill outhe downdraft diverter and the water heater continue burning normally?

Automaticlosing combustion door? What it that?
            Flame sensor? On a residential water heater?
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

No. If the flame arrester door was closed because the glass vial was broken. It will not draw any air for combustion. If you cant get air in...you cant get air out. when the vial breaks you have to replace the heater, no way to fix it. It's a safety feature to prevent flamabile vapor from causing the heater to explode. The burner compartment is sealed and it draws air from under the heater. If you look at the ring under the heater it should have a screen on it. that is where the air enters the heaters combustion chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                The replacement kits are available now for the oil filled vial. You can repair it if you know whats up.
                they are except for the so calif ultra lo nox heaters. had a bad one from the factory and had to change the heater. factory told me in so cal. they don't have a replaceable hi limit glass vail available.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                  The ultra lo nox uses the guardian system correct? TRD's are replaceable on Guardian series heaters. When and who told you that? You realize that all disabling the TRD does is allow the water heater to sustain a continuous vapor burn in the burn chamber. proping the door open does not disbale the FVIR characteristics of the heater.
                  rheem factory, customer service told me there is no fix for ultra lo nox. non so calif lo nox is no problem. this is after they sent out to 2 different factory authorized service people and then called me with the bad news on a friday at 4pm.

couldn't do anything since the service company took all the parts with them. the supply houses don't carry any parts.

took me over 6 months to get paid from rheem for the change out.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I would say..So long Rheem
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X