Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oregon has OPEN AIR treated water reservoir? Water piped directly to homes????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon has OPEN AIR treated water reservoir? Water piped directly to homes????

Is this correct?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Oregon has OPEN AIR treated water reservoir? Water piped directly to homes????

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Is this correct?
    No that would be a violation of the SWTR.

Sorry I missed "treated". That is considered a clear well.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: Oregon has OPEN AIR treated water reservoir? Water piped directly to homes????

Was this the one they caught somebody peeing in and they drained it? The same one they find dead carcasses and full cans of chemicals in the bottom of it?
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Keep in mind they do a chlorine residual test amongst other things before the water enters the distribution system.

Mark

Comment

Video at web site,
          June 17, 2011 11:11 AM PrintText Man caught on tape peeing in reservoir

(CBS News) A man who admits urinating in a Portland, Ore. Reservoir says he's sorry he did it, but wonders what all the fuss is about.

Josh Seater was caught on Portland Water Bureau surveillance video relieving himself in the reservoir early Wednesday morning.

The video shows Seater and his friends throwing things in the water -- and then, Seater says, it just happened.

He barely had time to zip up his pants before security guards got there.

Seater hasn't been charged with a crime, but he could be, and he insists he just doesn't

get why.

Seater says he's sure he isn't the first one to pee in there.

He added he didn't realize t was the water supply, claiming he thought it was a sewage plant.

The incident is going to be an expensive flush for the city of Portland. It'll cost about $36,000 -- $7,500 to drain the reservoir, plus $28,000 worth of drinking water down the drain - some 8 million gallons of it.

The Portland Water Bureau says does have a plan to cover reservoirs to comply with federal regulations, although it is trying to get a waiver so it doesn't have to spend the millions it will take to do that.

Read more: Man caught on tape peeing in reservoir - CBS News
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Who in their right mind drains 8,000,000 gallons over an almost unmeasurable ppb of urine.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Who in their right mind drains 8,000,000 gallons over an almost unmeasurable ppb of urine.
              Mark
              Makes no sense for that.
              But what about all the birds and they find carcasses and other stuff.
              I would buy stock in bottled water companies there.

Comment

Robert where do you think Denver water comes from? ever heard of Dillon reservoir, or Chessman Lake, it appears Denver water has 10 lakes, Reservoir Levels | Denver Water and I bet none of the boaters ever pissed in the water, or any animals have took a dump in the streams,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  Robert where do you think Denver water comes from? ever heard of Dillon reservoir, or Chessman Lake, it appears Denver water has 10 lakes, Reservoir Levels | Denver Water and I bet none of the boaters ever pissed in the water, or any animals have took a dump in the streams,
                  Buthat water goes through sediment, filtration and treatment and storage in clean, closed tanks before being piped to homes.
                  The treated water stored in the OPEN AIReservoir is THEN piped directly to homes. Yuck.
                  (Thanks for the link.)

Comment

There is all sorts of stuff that gets dropped into the reservoirs.

A number of years ago Winnipeg had a light airplane crash into one of the open storage pretreatment cells outside of the city. They had to spill million liters of water because they were worried about fuel and oil contamination.

Comment

Mark
                      In the article I read, it stated the person in charge made the decision to drain it to shut up the few people who will cry and complain about it. Right now the river that feeds that body of water is flowing 8,000,000 gallons an hour(or some rediculously large number) it is no big deal to refill it right now.
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                        In the article I read, it stated the person in charge made the decision to drain it to shut up the few people who will cry and complain about it. Right now the river that feeds that body of water is flowing 8,000,000 gallons an hour(or some rediculously large number) it is no big deal to refill it right now.
                        Buth.is already TREATED water which apparently is then piped from that open aireservoir directly to homes. (At leasthere must be a filter athe intake.)

The contamination from birds and insects and any animals that can get in is far greater than 400cc of human urine.

Comment

I wish I could say that draining the reservoir is the dumbest thing that the city has done, but it is only one of many. I'm pretty pissed off that they are closing schools but decide to waste money because of the "yuck factor" (that is the term used by the decision maker). That reservoir supplies a very small amount of the city's water, the vast majority comes from a reservoir near Mt. Hood.

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                          Portland doesn't get water from the rivers, it is mostly rain water. We also have wells that can be utilized.

As to open air reservoir; that will change soon. Today, the state rejected a variance to keep them uncovered. That rejections had nothing to do with the recent incident. I have no doubt the city will spend a hundred million dollars to make sure an endangered salamander won't be affected by the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                            I wish I could say that draining the reservoir is the dumbest thing that the city has done, but it is only one of many. I'm pretty pissed off that they are closing schools but decide to waste money because of the "yuck factor" (that is the term used by the decision maker). That reservoir supplies a very small amount of the city's water, the vast majority comes from a reservoir near Mt. Hood.

Portland doesn't get water from the rivers, it is mostly rain water. We also have wells that can be utilized.

As to open air reservoir; that will change soon. Today, the state rejected a variance to keep them uncovered. That rejections had nothing to do with the recent incident. I have no doubt the city will spend a hundred million dollars to make sure an endangered salamander won't be affected by the cover.
                            Just as a side note, I read today they are require to drain and clean the open air reservoirs every 6-months anyways. It may have been reaching time to clean it anyways so they moved it up.

Mark

Comment

Just as a side note, I read today they are require to drain and clean the open air reservoirs every 6-months anyways. It may have been reaching time to clean it anyways so they moved it up.

Mark
                              I did not know that. Thank you. If you read that on the web and have a link (and it isn't too much trouble), would you post it?

I would be surprised if it was scheduled, we are (hopefully) getting to our dry season.

Comment

Working...
                              X