X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find an old post

Sorry to intrude into the plumber's corner, but I could use some help. My sister in law had rotor rooter do some work in her house, they scoped and determined she needed an insert to her clay line. I have a couple of questions:

1) There was a post around three years ago started by a plumber going to customer in a similar circumstance. The company (some chain, maybe rotor rooter) was putting on a lot of pressure to get the job. I remember Plumber Rick replying that most of his residential customers has cracked/broken terra cotta sewer lines and they rarely needed replacement (apologies if I'm recalling incorrectly). I've been searching for this post and can't find it. Does anyone remember it or who started it?

2) Would I be wrong in assuming that some of these chains often suggest sewer repairs that might not be needed? Okay, I know that isn't a very fair questions, just looking for experiences.

3) Would a respectable plumber be willing to view a scope made by another company and make suggestions? (of course for a fee)

Just trying to get a starting place to help her. Wished she didn't live across the country.

Re: Trying to find an old post

Seems to be common to suggest and pressure for a sewer line replacement or costly repair that may not be necessary. Should be able to look at the video of the line to make a "common sense" assessment herself and have another professional look at it for suggestions.

Just make sure that it is HER line in the video.

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

Forgot to mention that similar things as the scenario you describe have been mentioned many times by many members and homeowners here.

Heck, if she can put the video on YouTube, drain professionals and plumbers can look at it here to give suggestions.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Seems to be common to suggest and pressure for a sewer line replacement or costly repair that may not be necessary. Should be able to look at the video of the line to make a "common sense" assessment herself and have another professional look at it for suggestions.

Just make sure that it is HER line in the video.

Good Luck.

J.C.
        Never thought about outright fraud like that. I'm happy to say that she watched as the scope was happening. I'm worried that "common sense" doesn't apply when you're watching it with someone telling you how bad it looks. She certainly has an abundance of common sense though. She's primarily worried about joint offsets and cracks. Just doesn't (nor do I) have a background to evaluate them.

Is it common to not give the video to the customer? I just found out that they didn't. When I had my sewer scoped they made a copy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
          Never thought about outright fraud like that. I'm happy to say that she watched as the scope was happening. I'm worried that "common sense" doesn't apply when you're watching it with someone telling you how bad it looks. She certainly has an abundance of common sense though. She's primarily worried about joint offsets and cracks. Just doesn't (nor do I) have a background to evaluate them.

Is it common to not give the video to the customer? I just found out that they didn't. When I had my sewer scoped they made a copy for me.
          I think it is common for a reputable company to be willing to give a video to a customer. Especially if an expensive repair or replacement is suggested.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-23-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Forgot to mention that similar things as the scenario you describe have been mentioned many times by many members and homeowners here.

Heck, if she can put the video on YouTube, drain professionals and plumbers can look at it here to give suggestions.

J.C.

Thinking about it, I'm sure it comes up all the time. I just remembered that one thread for some reason.

I guess you answered my questions about giving out video. Sure they don't want it on the internet for open debate. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Unfortunately yes it is common for this to be happening..If I camerad a sewer for a customer I would provide them with a copy ..Of course for a fee..After all who knows what co. is going to come in behind you and not even have to camera and just look at your video and say ..no problem I can do it cheaper..Please tell your sis to get atleast 3 other estimates ...Let's keep em' honest and if their not ..Hold their feet to the fire
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X