X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slip joints

You could dishwasher tailpiece with a hose up near the bottom of the cabinet. I consider that last resort hack work though.

An "umbrella drain" (think that's right) that is controlled by pressing it often sits low in my experience & that can cause restriction. You might just have a restriction in the trap arm that needs snaking.

This bathroom appears to have been remodeled even before the last remodel.

J.C.

Comment

the problem is with the lack of an overflow to introduce air into the drain. try taking out the pop up plunger and see if it drains faster. it should. the pop up is hogging up the free air and allowing the water to cover the entire drain.

i do like the idea of a vent off the backside of the popup. a grid strainer will be worse too. you can try hooking up a 1/2'' hose from the pop up rod, ball and nut joint. then run it as high as possible up the back, or it will leak. of course the pop up plunger will not operate at this point.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

what am i missing,isn't the fixture vented in the wall ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          what am i missing,isn't the fixture vented in the wall ?
          It is....but as Rick pointed out the reason it drains slow is because there is not air from an overflow and the plunger is blocking the pathway....I think it the downside to having a vessel sink of this style...you get to sacrifice function for looks....IMO....
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The umbrella drain is probably trapping micro bubbles underneath preventing a free flow of water.

Comment

I worked with tons of those offsets when i was back in ny. What you need is a 1-1/4" ext tailpiece with locknut chrome plated. Remove the double offset . Cut the offset in half with a tubing cutter or hacksaw . Now you can use the ext tailpiece between the two offset pieces to make it look right . This will also eliminate the upside down slip joint on the offset

Comment

As small as that room is I wonder if it wasn't a lav (1/2 bath) that some time before the current was converted to a full bath.
                That tub looks short, how deep is that room? Can't be over 60". Looking at the 'before' photo the floor tiles look to be 6x6, and counting tiles off the back wall toward the door I don't count too many. the door looks to be a 24". I've seen tighter lavs and 3/4 baths around here in older (1800s, early 1900s) homes, most of them plumbed up long before there was a plumbing code to worry about.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I HATE pop up plunger, they always make the sink drain slower, allowing for soap scum to collect in the sink- YUCK!. For my sink, I remove the pop-up from the mechanism and turn (rotate) the pop up so it sit above the mechanism and allows water to drain faster.
                  A question: who even uses the pop up to fill their sink with water and wash their face or rinse out a razor blade??? I have never ever heard of anyone filling the sink and washing/rinsing their face with dirty water these days! (and I have asked my circle of friends).
                  Again, I HATE pop ups!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    The umbrella drain is probably trapping micro bubbles underneath preventing a free flow of water.
                    Yes, this is the cause, if I cup my finger around the front half of the popup - even though it blocks half the water flow - the sink drains fine. The finger blocks the bubbles from the stream from accumulating under the umbrella. I also think the screen on the faucet may be aerating the water too much, it is very frothy.

Once I turn the water off the sink drains like a champ.

Originally posted by 59 WAGON MAN View Post
                    I worked with tons of those offsets when i was back in ny. What you need is a 1-1/4" ext tailpiece with locknut chrome plated. Remove the double offset . Cut the offset in half with a tubing cutter or hacksaw . Now you can use the ext tailpiece between the two offset pieces to make it look right . This will also eliminate the upside down slip joint on the offset
                    This was actually my first idea, the plumbing supply guy talked me out of it for some reason.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    As small as that room is I wonder if it wasn't a lav (1/2 bath) that some time before the current was converted to a full bath.
                    That tub looks short, how deep is that room? Can't be over 60". Looking at the 'before' photo the floor tiles look to be 6x6, and counting tiles off the back wall toward the door I don't count too many. the door looks to be a 24". I've seen tighter lavs and 3/4 baths around here in older (1800s, early 1900s) homes, most of them plumbed up long before there was a plumbing code to worry about.
                    It is 60" deep on the dot. It was always a full bath. The layout of the apartment is from the 50s - before that the building, I believe, was a brownstone without individual units. The plumbing was redone sometime prior to me moving in, I assume once in the 80's and once around 2006. The original units have all galvanized, with no shower diverter valves.

Comment

as far as I am concerned, it is a design flaw, I put the faucet 9" from center from the drain as instructed to do so by the manufacturer. If I use a scrap piece of tubing to divert the flow of the faucet to any other part of the sink, it drains fine. It looks like the spot the flow hits the sink is the perfect place for it to cause too much aeration.

Maybe the drain is defective and the popup is not sitting high enough, who knows, but if I can't get it to work I think I will try to vent it from the tailpiece maybe with some 3/8 copper tubing. I can run the vent back and up into the hollow body of the faucet (above the water line) from under the counter.

You think that would work?

Comment

Do they make a 1 1/4 dishwasher tailpiece?

Comment

why not just rotate faucet so it misses drain. don't tell me it will not look right. the world is full of people that wear shoes that look right and hurt their feet. breid.........

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                            why not just rotate faucet so it misses drain. don't tell me it will not look right. the world is full of people that wear shoes that look right and hurt their feet. breid.........
                            DUH! I will try this, as long as Mrs. JJJAAAMMM doesn't have a problem with it. Which is a big "if".

Comment

Working...
                            X