X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip joints

Just put the new sink in and I was having some issues getting the waste line to plumb squarely.

Should I just leave it as long as it is not leaking, or can I bend the offset to make it sit inline with the tailpiece?

---

it is not noticeable from standing distance. (excuse the mess)
    Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 06-29-2011, 01:11 AM.

Re: Slip joints

Looks like you could just loosen the locknuts on the trap and turn the trap a little left and retighten. That should give you what you need..While you're at it you might want to replace that old sloan valve on the toilet too..
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Wow tight fit, on it all! From center of toilet, You are suppose to have a Min. of 15" clearance ,each side of toilet on the U.P. code. Don't know Know what code You come under. By the way I'm a lefty Myself.
      I can Imagine some Mon. morn.splitting open My left elbow on that beautiful black Marble edge! OH MY F$3U&%G ELBOW! HE HE
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

As a homeowner your the one that has to live with it...so if you don't care and it don't leak then there you go...if you hired a professional then I would say then it would be a recall.....IMO
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I tried turing the trap a bit, but I don't want to break it, and it would not give.

I actually got everything lined up a little bit better than the picture. If the offset was maybe 1/4" longer it would be perfect. I wanted to give it a shot, and if it didn't work out I was gonna call a plumber. Everything works and it is really close to fitting perfectly, I am not sure if it is worth it at this point to call someone.

Would it be ill advised to bend the offset at the ells to make it reach a tad more laterally?

Comment

looks like a tube trap that also has slip joint nuts. the trap should be able to get loosened and then you can swing it as old1 has suggested. it's up to you and if it's not leaking, and you can't loosen the trap, then leave it. honestly it doesn't pay to call in a pro for something so slight. if it was leaking, then that's a different story.

out of curiosity, how small is that bathroom counter top? what kind of sink was there before that squeezed in between the toilet and tub?

as tool mentioned, the toilet compartment needs a 30'' space minimum. 15'' both sides of centerline. looks awful tight.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks. It was a wall mounted American standard cast-iron. Same clearance. It stuck out 17" inches and was 18" wide. This sticks out 18" and is 17" wide. It is not too bad clearance wise, I assume you guys never plumbed NYC, I have seen much much worse in other apartments.

Anyway, i think it meets the 15" but I'll have to check when I get home. Is the code just for a wall or cabinet, or any obstruction?
              Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
                Thanks. It was a wall mounted American standard cast-iron. Same clearance. It stuck out 17" inches and was 18" wide. This sticks out 18" and is 17" wide. It is not too bad clearance wise, I assume you guys never plumbed NYC, I have seen much much worse in other apartments.

Anyway, i think it meets the 15" but I'll have to check when I get home. Is the code just for a wall or cabinet, or any obstruction?
                Complete clearance. But we're not gonna Rat Y out.ells code check for all the trades. comes in handy. All looks fine, just havin fun.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

ha, no worries, but seriously, if the 15" rule was enforced here, 50% of all nyc bathrooms would have to be torn apart. Hell, I am not even sure if the wall is 15" from the center.

this is the before, it is actually closer but a bit higher up on the wall, also, the corner is rounded off. The new sink is actually an inch or two farther from the toilet.

_

Comment

Looks like a 1 1/4 chrome tail piece soldered into a brass solder ring. If the chrome tail piece is in good shape I take a 1" x 1 1/2 black fernco and use a trap adapter and chage over to pvc. The 1" fits nice on those chrome 1 1/4 stub outs if it is solid. You could also take out the brass solder ring and screw in a male adapter and change to pvc. You might have to add a PVC fitting or 2 also if the trap swing does not make it. I believe its 3 1/2 inches or so. This is if you want to change it over or maybe you want the chrome look. Its all about what you like and and does not leak.

Just put the new sink in and I was having some issues getting the waste line to plumb squarely.

Should I just leave it as long as it is not leaking, or can I bend the offset to make it sit inline with the tailpiece?

---

it is not noticeable from standing distance. (excuse the mess)
                    The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                      It must have had an offset on the old lavatory also??? It looks like they just roughed the lav in wrong to me from the jump. It looks as if the lavatory even the old one would be hanging into the tub if it was installed without the offset tubular. Is that a lead arm in the wall?
                      Yeah you can see the old offset on the ground in my first pic. Not sure why the waste line is not in a proper place. The building is 100 years old then redone in the 50s or 60s then again in the 80s. Not sure if it is a lead arm. Pretty sure most of the waste lines in the building are galvanized.

Comment

looks galvanized..You could probably spin the chrome trap off the nipple and turn the new trap to the left to straighten it out..Only issue is if the nipple spins outta the wall..Again no biggie just replace the nipple with the same length..Yeah looks tight in there but that's all you got so that's all you get..
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Cool, I think I actually got everything lined up to a point that I am happy with.

Now, I may make this a new thread but does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this sink drain faster. I think since it has no overflow the airflow is restricting the flow rate. I actually had to back off the shutoff valves to make sure the flow can't overtake the sink.

I think I need to figure out a way to introduce a vent. Maybe a small copper tube from the tailpiece that runs back and then up into the hollow cavity of the faucet above the water line?

Comment

Cool, I think I actually got everything lined up to a point that I am happy with.

Now, I may make this a new thread but does anyone have any ideas on how I can make this sink drain faster. I think since it has no overflow the airflow is restricting the flow rate. I actually had to back off the shutoff valves to make sure the flow can't overtake the sink.

I think I need to figure out a way to introduce a vent. Maybe a small copper tube from the tailpiece that runs back and then up into the hollow cavity of the faucet above the water line?
                            That is a good question...I don't know of a way....so I will be interested in the answers.....
                            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

it is a Kraus sink. I emailed them telling them If i interrupt the flow from the faucet with my hand to make it hit the bowl at a different angle, the water drains quickly. However, if I let the water flow naturally the water begins to backup 2/3rds of the way up the bowl, at which point the drain rate and flow rate seem to equalize and the water no longer rises (but stays filled).

his reply:

Your setup for the pop-up drain is correct. Im not quite sure as to why you are having problems with water pooling up. From what you are telling me I think It might be a defective pop up drain or something going on with your plumbing, hopefully it’s the former. I am going to speak to my supervisor tomorrow in regards to this issue. More than likely you will be receiving a new pop up drain from us. I do apologize for this inconvenience Mr. [JJJAAAMMM], and I can assure you that you will hear from me tomorrow. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact me. Thank you for choosing Kraus, have a great day.
                              If you google "vessel sink slow drain" you get a massive amount of similar complaints, so I am not sure if it is a defective part or not, but hey, i am not going to turn down a free drain. I will see what they tell me tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X