X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewage ejector pump

What better way to celebrate the birth of our great nation than by helping me out?

So my parents' basement bathroom is connected to a sump pump. The toilet backed up and the sump pump flooded from the lid a bit.

I can hear a buzz from the pump when it is plugged in. We removed the vertical waste line from the compression ring. Put the wet dry vac to the sump end and was able to pull enough water through to drain the toilet.

Should we open the top of the pump to see what is going on? How likely is it that the motor is burned out?

Re: Sewage ejector pump

Time to get your hands dirty.

Unplug the pump! Remove the compression coupling nut on the bottom. Lift the vent pipe out of the top and remove lid. Take a deep breath and pull the pump out. Clean whatever has jammed the impeller and retest by operating the float.

Comment

While you have the check valve apart, look at the flapper inside. Ensure it is still attached, I have recently ran into one where the flapper was unhinged and acting like a stopper.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

This is a little giant 4/10HP sewage pump, would a grinder pump be overkill? How often do you guys see the sewage pumps clogging up?

My guess is the pump is most likely clogged at the inlet to the impeller, does that sound about right?

Comment

Okay, now that I will never put my hands in my mouth again -

took the pump out, there was nothing clogging the impeller. Took the volute housing off, nothing clogged in there. Filled a garbage can with water, placed the the pump in there with an outlet pipe attached, turned it on, it slowly ejected two small gargles of water then stopped, but kept making a humming, noise. Spun the impeller by hand, tried again, same thing.

This pump gets little use and is about 5 years old. I am guessing I need to tell my Dad he needs a new pump?

This pump is 4/10 HP, should the replacement be as high as we can get using the same voltage, or even a grinder pump?

I appreciate the help.

Comment

If the voltage is good to the plug then change the pump. With little use this pump gets I wouldn't bother with a grinder. 4/10 HP ejector is fine for it's purpose. Buy a Zoeller pump if it's available in your area.

Comment

Is the impeller turning? Or is the shaft just spinning? Lay the pump on its side and bump the power switch on and off and that might tell you waz up.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                If the voltage is good to the plug then change the pump. With little use this pump gets I wouldn't bother with a grinder. 4/10 HP ejector is fine for it's purpose. Buy a Zoeller pump if it's available in your area.
                Yep what he said...Zoeller M267 is a good one!!!
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Thanks guys- I hope when you go out on one of these calls you have some lackey to clean out the sump, that was not fun.

Gonna order a new pump. Basement bathroom is out of service for the time being.

Comment

Most Ace HArdware stores around here carry Zoeller pumps. So if you guys have an Ace Hardware, give them a call.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

As far as the pumps clogging a lot that depends on what people think is safe to flush.

For the record.

Poo
                      Paper
                      Liquid

END OF STORY.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                        As far as the pumps clogging a lot that depends on what people think is safe to flush.

For the record.

Poo
                        Paper
                        Liquid

END OF STORY.
                        Eyup, I always say "If it doesn't come out of your body, it doesn't go down the drain"
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                        X