X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pedestal sink mounted to block wall

i have a sink for a powder room in the first level of a split level house. when the bathroom was built the rock was put over top of a bunch of furring strips. i did not know this was the case until i got the wall opened to move the pipes. the pipes are fine now but, now i need to mount the sink to the wall. i was figuring i would just use blue screws to hold it in place.(it did not come with a mounting bracket of any kind) the mounting holes are up high behind the sink bowl so there is essentially little to no access. especially with a drill. i was going to mark the holes and put the blue screws in without the sink in place then take them out and put the sink back in place and put the screws in with a socket wrench. i am not sure if the screws can be taken out and put back in once they have been screwed into the cinder block? is there a better method to mount the sink? is there an aftermarket mounting bracket i should use? not sure of the best method for this install.

Re: pedestal sink mounted to block wall

Toggle Bolt.

J.C.

Comment

I am confused, is the sink being secured into drywall/wood framing, or into cinder blocks, your post mentions both materials?

If we are in fact talking about wood framing, and you already have the wall opened up (have not put sheet rock back in yet), I like the idea of putting a block between the studs at the (center) of the height where your screws will go, for solid backing for the screws to anchor into. Otherwise toggle bolts as already mentioned. How thick is the furring material they used to shim the sheetrock? Shims typically are not taboo if they did not use an excessive amount of them.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

there is sheetrock with furring strips behind it then cinder block foundation. the drywall is 1/2 in. and the furring strips are about a 1/2 in too. behind that is the block. i need to go through the rock and into the block. i usually put a 2x4 behind it and secure that to the studs but that is not possible here since there are no studs to secure the board too. that is why i need to go into the block

Comment

Ok, that makes more sense now. Toggle bolts with large washers might work if the cinder blocks were not filled with concrete, and the bolts were long enough. Otherwise expansion anchors would be another option, or epoxy some studs into the wall where the sink would go, use nuts and washer to anchor the sink. (over kill and not standard procedure.)
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Toggle Bolt.

J.C.
            ditto. done it several times

Comment

Working...
            X