No announcement yet.

Humming coming from main water pipes...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming coming from main water pipes...

Hello Ridgid Forum,

There is a humming noise that comes from the main pipes that enter into our home. It starts when there is no water on and stops when a faucet is turned on. Sometimes it stops completely, but will come back. It looks like the humming is coming from either the gauge or the cold water line.

I tried closing the valve and opening all faucets, and then turning on the water again, but it still hums.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. I have done some basic plumbing (shut off valves, drain cleaning, fixtures etc). Is this something a DIYer can do?

Thanks for your help...

Re: Humming coming from main water pipes...

Thanks for the reply, is the water meter covered by the county?

Comment

Should be..Also check and see if you have a frost proof hose bib with a hose connected and full pressure..As water was being used it was relieveing pressure and sounded like a cat meowing .Least at my house it did
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Could be a faulty ballcock in one of your toilets. I have had this happen before. The flapper leaks enough to activate ballcock and the h2o lines vibrate or hum from the diaphragm in the ballcock.

Comment

check to see if you have a pressure regulator. even with no water running, they're capable of humming.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rigid for the replies.

Water Co came out, the meter was fine but the PR valve was moved to a high pressure setting. A simple turn and the humming stopped. I'm going to replace one ballcock that I know is about to go.

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              check to see if you have a pressure regulator. even with no water running, they're capable of humming.

rick.
              That I did not know. Thanks.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                That I did not know. Thanks.
                I definitely didn't. I was going to suggest GHOSTS, LOL!
                Here I Come World! |link removed| With plumbing, a royal flush always beats a full house

Comment

Working...
                X