Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are property taxes higher for more toilets?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are property taxes higher for more toilets?

If I have 10 toilets in my home I will not flush any more than if ONE toilet.

So why do they care?

Should sewer charges not be related to water use - according to the water meter?
    We should have a meter on the sprinkler system to deduct the amount of water placed on the lawn and NOT sent down the sanitary sewer.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Why are property taxes higher for more toilets?

Here the taxes are based on value. A house with more bathrooms is generally more valuable.

No idea about sewer charges as I've never lived in a house that had one.

Comment

The mentality is..if you have money to spend on upgrading the value of your home, you have money to give local governments, and they want it!

This is why we need a flat tax for everything, but a certain party would never go for it.

Comment

The property tax is flat in the sense that it is a percentage of your home's value. That is pretty similar to a flat income tax which would often just take 15% across the board instead of graduated rates.

Comment

I believe the only reason we have not seen a flat income tax passed in the past is because when all the numbers come in the "rich" would actually end up paying less than they are paying now. That and only that is why the liberals have not jumped on the flat tax bandwagon. Just because those in the lower income ranges might find it more difficult to contribute their flat tax does not mean they should be allowed to not be a contributing member of society. Of course while many will vehemently disagree with this viewpoint, they are free to build their own soapbox.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

are we starting the flat rate vrs time and material tax discussion again

you know it won't last long

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Why not, things have been slow around here lately anyways.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                If I have 10 toilets in my home I will not flush any more than if ONE toilet.

So why do they care?

Should sewer charges not be related to water use - according to the water meter?
                We should have a meter on the sprinkler system to deduct the amount of water placed on the lawn and NOT sent down the sanitary sewer.
                They dont care here how many toilets you have but they can access value on improvements.

here we can protest the accessed tax and many people have...because even tho property value has decreased over the past few years......the tax stayed the same based on the old value. Well they are adjusting it for most who complain. if they dont adjust it you can order an appraisal and use that as proof the tax is not accessed properly or not.

Usually going to that extreme is not worth it because property tax here is cheap if you live on the property(homestead). It would take a very large property here or have a rental house to order the appraisal. If you have commercial property that your not living on it would be worth the appraisal if they didn't adjust it.

Our sewer/potable water is broken down seperate and the rate your paying for each. If you want a meter for irrigation that can be installed for 350.00 and a monthly minimum every month of about 18.00 and that includes a few thousand gallons wether you use it or not. No sewer charges on that meter.

I have the best of both worlds. I have a septic system so i dont pay sewer.....my water bill is about 12-15.00 a month. I use the same meter to water the lawn....if it needs it. No sewer charged so its the same rate as some people pay to water the lawns.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  I believe the only reason we have not seen a flat income tax passed in the past is because when all the numbers come in the "rich" would actually end up paying less than they are paying now. That and only that is why the liberals have not jumped on the flat tax bandwagon. Just because those in the lower income ranges might find it more difficult to contribute their flat tax does not mean they should be allowed to not be a contributing member of society. Of course while many will vehemently disagree with this viewpoint, they are free to build their own soapbox.
                  Under the constitution article 4 section 2 says "guarantees that citizens of one state be treated equally and fairly like all citizens of another." Already the rich are being treated unfairly because they already pay the lion share of the taxes in this country. Just because someone makes a ton of money, doesn't mean the government has the right to take and spend it. It all boils down to jealousy and greed. These politicians won't be happy until we hand over our entire paychecks to pay for their agenda's.

But I have a better idea, how about we stop spending so we can lower taxes across the board for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    Our sewer/potable water is broken down seperate and the rate your paying for each. If you want a meter for irrigation that can be installed for 350.00 and a monthly minimum every month of about 18.00 and that includes a few thousand gallons wether you use it or not. No sewer charges on that meter.

I have the best of both worlds. I have a septic system so i dont pay sewer.....my water bill is about 12-15.00 a month. ...
                    The wayou follow septic with water at first sounds as though you are recycling!!

Well, the irrigation meter charge completely ruins my idea of deducting irrigation from the sewer bill.

Can septic leach field water be collected and used for lawn irrigation? Or is it still too high in bacteria?
                    Could it be used to irrigate through under-sod tubing - if that is even possible?
                    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post

Can septic leach field water be collected and used for lawn irrigation?
                      How many times a day do you flush your 10 toilets??!?!? That just sounds gross, but an interesting topic.

I was watching Inspector America, there is a plant in Los Angeles that does convert sewage into drinking water. They did a test with drinking water, 200PPM in dissolved solids, their water, 50PPM. Drinking poo, the wave of the future?
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                        How many times a day do you flush your 10 toilets??!?!? That just sounds gross, but an interesting topic.
                        I was watching Inspector America, there is a plant in Los Angeles that does convert sewage into drinking water. They did a test with drinking water, 200PPM in dissolved solids, their water, 50PPM. Drinking poo, the wave of the future?
                        Years ago I did a calculation of how many of us have been drinking Michael Jackson's urine.
                        Answer: EVERYONE!

Wish my house were big enough to have 10 toilets. It started out as one toilet and after adding a second story, has three and a bidet!

Comment

Around here, you water base fee is base on meter size, because that limits how much water you can use. But if they charge per toilet for sewer fee, then you pay for 10 toilets...because YOU might only use one at a time, but a future owner of the house COULD use all ten at once.

Comment

Right now I'm renting a condo until we are ready next year to buy our first single home. Our building houses 26 condo's and the other buildings on the property houses more.

The sewer rent for a single home in this town is $72.00 a quarter.

I and every other condo here each pays $72.00 to share 1 building trap per building.

Comment

But your use (your condo) is just as much as if you didn't share a common sewer hookup.
                              Same for the other 25 condos. IF all 26 of you lived in single family homes, and nothing
                              else changed such as family size, your use would be the same.

You share a common feed on your electric and your gas main, you want a break there too?
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X