X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need toilet recommecndation

Need a recommendation for a good medium price toilet.

2 piece white
    Conventional flush (that flushes well)
    Round bowl (as opposed to elongated)
    12 rough
    comfort height
    up to $300

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Need toilet recommecndation

Toto brand....drake model or the drake II

Comment

If you want comfort height, you will probably have to go with elongated bowl.

Comment

toto
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

toto is good, but so is the american standard champion comfort height and it's less money too.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Have had good luck with the gerber viper.

Comment

In my opinion there is not a better toilet made or a better flusher for the price than the Gerber Viper or the Gerber Avalanche. I've been selling and installing toilets for over 24 years and this is yet the best I've ever seen for a good priced gravity flush toilet. IMO you can't do better, it's all I sell and install and zero call backs. Also the easiest I've ever installed. The tank to bowl nuts are easy to tighten almost by hand, just a little cinch with the channel locks and you're done. Basic flapper and fill valve too.
              When you find a good product that customers love why install anything else. I have the Avalanche toilets in my home.

Comment

Here is a footnote question to the one about the best toilet.

Most (well, all) new toilets these days use far less water than in the old days. OK, provided the toilet flushes with power I suppose it can evacuate the "load" with no problems with only 1.5 gallons of water. I have seen demos of toilets that can do this just fine.

However, once outside of the toilet we have the house line that runs to the to the bigger street line. Now, if the house line is not sloped downward steeply enough, will there not be problems with only 1.5 gallons of water pushing the "load" away. I mean, the old 3.5-gallon toilets put enough water into the line to move the "load" down the line, whereas it looks to me as if, at least if the line to the street is not steep enough, that there will be potential back-up problems within the line itself, particularly if the house is populated by a bunch of big eaters.

Have you guys seen any problems like this since the switch to small-water-use toilets a few years back? I ask, because an office I once worked in installed the low-use toilets as replacement for their older models, and after that they had nothing but problems with the lines backing up - even though the toilets worked just fine.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

I sure like my Kohler Highline elongated. Can't stand even sitting on a regular height round front.
                  The Kohler has a bracket on the bottom of the tank that you put the bolts in and set it on top of the bowl. No dumb bolts through the bottom of the tank anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Ferstler View Post
                    Here is a footnote question to the one about the best toilet.

Most (well, all) new toilets these days use far less water than in the old days. OK, provided the toilet flushes with power I suppose it can evacuate the "load" with no problems with only 1.5 gallons of water. I have seen demos of toilets that can do this just fine.

However, once outside of the toilet we have the house line that runs to the to the bigger street line. Now, if the house line is not sloped downward steeply enough, will there not be problems with only 1.5 gallons of water pushing the "load" away. I mean, the old 3.5-gallon toilets put enough water into the line to move the "load" down the line, whereas it looks to me as if, at least if the line to the street is not steep enough, that there will be potential back-up problems within the line itself, particularly if the house is populated by a bunch of big eaters.

Have you guys seen any problems like this since the switch to small-water-use toilets a few years back? I ask, because an office I once worked in installed the low-use toilets as replacement for their older models, and after that they had nothing but problems with the lines backing up - even though the toilets worked just fine.

Howard Ferstler
                    ...this reply is just my opinion. i think the newer toilets aren't affected by the 'pitch' of the older, perhaps more level, sewer lines is because the homes have washing machines. these appliances are used often enough to introduce a LOT of water through the sewer lines to help send everything to the street. of course in the case of the office you spoke of this wouldn't apply and i have no answer.

Comment

It's been about 20 years since the 1.6 low flows came out. I have not seen a problem with main sewer flows. Flush it twice if you're concerned!

Comment

They should have been left at 2.0 GPF. Good balance & efficient.

The people that decided to come up with the fast flushing-big flapper-large trap toilets are stupid, stupid, stupid.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                          I sure like my Kohler Highline elongated. Can't stand even sitting on a regular height round front.
                          The Kohler has a bracket on the bottom of the tank that you put the bolts in and set it on top of the bowl. No dumb bolts through the bottom of the tank anymore!
                          Yes. Installed many. Now I have no future in service replacing bolts!

J.C.

Comment

Mansfield is the best you can get for the money. Kohler is good too, but over engineered, Toto's good, but expensive. I like Mansfield or Kohler Wellworth/Highline or American Standard Cadet 3.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

IMO, Gerber is the best middle of the road toilet on the market price wise, that won't break the bank when it comes time for repairs. I would easily put Gerber's flush right up there with Kohler's flush, and Gerber STILL uses a standard flapper.

I'm not a fan of these "tower" style flushes like Kohler and Mansfield.

Before you make your decision on the toilet, look up the repair parts of each brand, and ask yourself what it's worth to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X