Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Looking for licensed plumber near Massapequa, NY who uses Ridgid press technology

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for licensed plumber near Massapequa, NY who uses Ridgid press technology

I have a water main supply line leak on a 5/8" copper line which I'd like to have patched using the Ridgid press tool (rather than solder). The job is more construction than it is plumbing in that the leak is under a 5" thick concrete driveway buried 4' down in sandy soil. Please email at bmann729@hotmail.com if interested.

Re: Looking for licensed plumber near Massapequa, NY who uses Ridgid press technology

i could probably sell you 1 of my 9 machines i own. or tell you that you can spend $6.00 and buy a sharkbite fitting and fix it yourself.

of course for the price of roundtrip air, i'll fix it for you no charge as long as it's all exposed and ready to go.

your 5/8'' copper i assume is 5/8'' outside diameter and it's for an irrigation line?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Looking for licensed plumber near Massapequa, NY who uses Ridgid press technology

I.m in stony brook long island for a wedding,is $ an object ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Call Gilmour Supply, (Division of Ferguson) there the nearest plumbing supply to you. Wholesale plumbing supply only. Ask them what plumbers are in your area that buy ProPress/Viega fittings from them. (631) 694-2800

Comment

A sharkbite or a propress fitting is the last thing I would install 4' deep under 5" of concrete. If the copper pipe was good enough to repair I would braze it. If not I would replace it.

Comment

both fittings are approved for burial under concrete outdoors. not under an interior slab.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              both fittings are approved for burial under concrete outdoors. not under an interior slab.

rick.
              So what.

Comment

All copper installed under concrete other than crossing a sidewalk gets silver soldered.

Comment

code only requires silvers soldering/ brazing when doing under interior slab joints.

exterior concrete is not required.

i've brazed thousands and thousands of joints due to using t-drills. from 6'' on down. but i've also seen a 3'' manifold with 1'' t-drilled joints soft soldered and it's held for 19 years already on a water softener main. remember the socket dept on the t-drill is approx. 1/4'' depth. so if this 3'' header has held for 19 years above ground with high volume use serving the entire complex, i know that a soldered joint in a full depth socket doesn't fail.

what difference does it make whether it's a water service under dirt or under exterior concrete. how many failed properly solder joints have we seen?

for me i don't even think i need 1 hand to count failed properly soldered joints and i'm sure i've been exposed to the better part of 1 million joints in all the new construction and service work over the years.

yes brazed joints are required under interior slabs. but honestly joints are frowned upon under interior slabs. typically 2.5'' and larger we have no choice. 2'' and smaller is soft copper. and can be rolled up. i'm still sitting on some 1.5'' and 2'' soft that's pretty much scrap as it will never roll out being exposed to air this long

so yes, brazed joint are required under interior slabs, but exterior soft solder joints have no reason to fail and the pipe doesn't become annealed from soldering.

back to the question, propress is allowed exterior under concrete and so are sharkbites. i'm sure the op will either find he can do a repair himself with the sharkbite, or try to find a local plumber with propress equipment. unless he can't get the line to drain, i'm not sure why he just doesn't have someone solder or braze it and be done

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Brazing is a superior joint.That is why it is manditory underslab.I tell my customers it is the correct way to protect their investment in concrete hardscape.
                    Now if someone is looking for a tool to hand a monkey then go have a ball.Fits our culture's interests to a tee.
                    I have a propress as well.Awesome tool.Overhead on a job where the plans spec'd is where I'll use it.

Bear Pit tomorrow Ricky..You better be hungry!!!

Comment

I would braze the damn thing and be done with it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X