Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lime deposits on Rheem Tankless Water heater.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime deposits on Rheem Tankless Water heater.

My Rheem -53DV is approaching 2 years old. I recently noticed an error code IL, which means "Water heater has build up of lime deposits".

I have a service kit installed which permits me to isolate the heater from incoming cold water and the hot portion and then introduce some kind of cleaner into the heater. I'm wondering if CLR would be a good choice to dissolve the lime?

I recently cleaned the water filter and it wasn't too bad, considering the manufacturer recommends cleaning it monthly and this was the first time it was done.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Re: Lime deposits on Rheem Tankless Water heater.

i've heard of some people using clr. but i wouldn't as it's not a liquid i would want to drink. yes it works faster than vinegar which has 5% acidity. but unless you have written approval from rheem, i would stick to the common products.

white vinegar 5% acidity

or there is a commercial flush chemical made by the same people that make everflux.. wiseman eco5 is the product.

rick.
    Last edited by RIDGIDadmin; 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM. Reason: Link removal request from site owner.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just a note you have voided your warranty by not deliming the heater on a yearly basis.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I use vinegar, though i've been eyeing this stuff

as sewerratz pointed out you've already voided the warranty, so the CLR would be ok, if still a hazard to ingest.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Just a note you have voided your warranty by not deliming the heater on a yearly basis.
          A moot point, as I installed it myself and Rheem seemed to require a licensed installers name on the warranty document.

Comment

When I sat through a Noritz class a few years ago, it's funny how the sales rep doesn't mention anything about lime deposits, until I asked the question. We had a nice friendly back and forth in front of the class, and by the time I was done with him, I could see that supply house manager and counter men wanted me out of the class! lol

It was funny cause, a lot of Plumbers were standing around circle jerking each other about how much money they were going to make on installing these pieces of junk, which told me these clowns never acid washed a boiler before, and know nothing about coils.

Comment

I found this, looks like white vinegar is the way to go.

Name:  72361f7ab4be9c6d71d38431fc57394a.pdf
Views: 1
Size:  385.2 KB

Comment

IMO white vinegar is a good choice for yearly maintenance only.

If a coil has been accumulating lime for many years unmaintained, and is blocked solid, white vinegar will do nothing.

I've used Acid on domestic coils before, and was unable to unblock a limed up coil.

Customers should ask the sales rep and their Plumber what happens when you can't unblock these coils.

Comment

Working...
                X