• Show
Clear All

• Re: ProPress

¾ pro press 90 @ 2.88 ¾ swett 90 @ .88
    ¾ pro press t @ 4.80 ¾ swett t @ 1.58
    ¾ x ½ pro press t @ 4.05 ¾ x ½ t @ 1.50
    ¾ x male adapt @ 5.10 ¾ c x male @ 1.34
    ¾ pro press coupling @ 2.33 ¾ coupling @ .79

The above are prices from Pex Supply and though we all pay less for both, I think you will find the margin is pretty close.

Now assume that we are doing a residential 2 bath home. Kitchen, laundry and a couple sillcocks. Let's also assume that we use a total of 50 fittings to complete the job. Let's now say that the pro press saves 4 minutes per joint so..... 4 x 50 = 200 minutes or 3 hours and 20 minutes.

You spend two grand on the machine and your material cost is 3 times what swetting the job would have been. sorry, but it just does not add up to maximizing your profit potential. It may be a cool tool, fast and fun to use, but you are kidding yourself if you think it is making you money.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      ¾ pro press 90 @ 2.88 ¾ swett 90 @ .88
      ¾ pro press t @ 4.80 ¾ swett t @ 1.58
      ¾ x ½ pro press t @ 4.05 ¾ x ½ t @ 1.50
      ¾ x male adapt @ 5.10 ¾ c x male @ 1.34
      ¾ pro press coupling @ 2.33 ¾ coupling @ .79

The above are prices from Pex Supply and though we all pay less for both, I think you will find the margin is pretty close.

Now assume that we are doing a residential 2 bath home. Kitchen, laundry and a couple sillcocks. Let's also assume that we use a total of 50 fittings to complete the job. Let's now say that the pro press saves 4 minutes per joint so..... 4 x 50 = 200 minutes or 3 hours and 20 minutes.

You spend two grand on the machine and your material cost is 3 times what swetting the job would have been. sorry, but it just does not add up to maximizing your profit potential. It may be a cool tool, fast and fun to use, but you are kidding yourself if you think it is making you money.

So which tools do you have and how much for them? I'll use them if you're not.

Comment

330-C IIRC, I dunno, make an offer. Neither one has more than a couple hours on it.
        sigpic

Comment

330-C IIRC, I dunno, make an offer. Neither one has more than a couple hours on it.

The 330C is the corded tool, is that what you have? That's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what "IIRC" is, what is that? I am interested in one if it is what I Think it is. Can you shoot me a picture? Thanks

We should take this private if you're serious about selling.

Comment

That would be if I recall correctly. I'm not at the shop so I'm going on memory but yes, they have cords.
            sigpic

Comment

That would be if I recall correctly. I'm not at the shop so I'm going on memory but yes, they have cords.

I'm thinking you may have the RP330CCPT, which is the older style, only has a capacity of up to 1" according to Ridgid. If that's what they are I'll have to pass. I'm looking for a RB330C corded tool with a capacity of up to 4". I've seen the complete kit with all the jaws for about 2300 dollars new. I'm starting to do more boiler work and working with larger pipe. Lately I rent the larger tool from Ferguson if I need it. Time to buy my own.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                You have no idea what you're talking about. You don't have one, you've never used one, your words! I use mine every day, it's hardly a tractor. The cost of the material is not a factor unless you're giving them away. Your opinion carries no weight. It's like you giving your opinion on how the new lamborghini handles, you have no idea and it makes you look silly even trying. After 24 years in this business the ProPress HAS CHANGED MY WORLD.
                I dont need to own one or use one to know I dont want one because I cant justify the price of buying a machine that assembles copper pipe and uses fittings that are WAY more expensive. I dont do new construction so no need there for me. When I repipe houses its usually through the attic so no use for copper there. I could see a need for it for a small business doing commercial repair on a regular basis......I dont do that. So that leaves residential repair. I've never had a hard time soldering so I could possibly justify a 2000.00 tool. Most people cant.

I never said propress was a tractor.......I simply stated that like a tractor unless you use it on a regular basis its a waste of money. You can rent them. I and most people dont have a need for it on a regular basis to make them more profitable. Now they may use it on a regular basis because its easy.......not because its more profitable.

Comment

Yes we know how you feel. You can get down now.

Comment

It's funny I still have the same half a roll of solder in my box from almost two years ago. Obviously I use the ProPress almost daily and I'm very well stocked with most all their fittings and transition fittings from ProPress to Viega Pex. No need to solder anything really. SEE, we have different opinions. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I'm certainly not hurting, having the best year ever so far.

I have a couple hundred pounds of copper fittings for sale if you're interested. Or maybe with the price of copper going up I'll just scrap them if it works out better.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      It's funny I still have the same half a roll of solder in my box from almost two years ago. Obviously I use the ProPress almost daily and I'm very well stocked with most all their fittings and transition fittings from ProPress to Viega Pex. No need to solder anything really. SEE, we have different opinions. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I'm certainly not hurting, having the best year ever so far.

I have a couple hundred pounds of copper fittings for sale if you're interested. Or maybe with the price of copper going up I'll just scrap them if it works out better.
                      Whats funny about that? You better keep it because everything cant be pressed.....like those joints under slabs. Then why buy a used machine? Cost is no object because the customers paying for it.
                      Last edited by TheMaster; 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

They do only go to 1" or at least that's the largest set of jaws I have for them. I'll look tomorrow and get back to you.

Here's the thing though to sum this mess up. some of you guys have them, use them and like them and as long as you are happy with the tool and what you get out of it that's all that matters. Obviously nobody's business is going to succeed or fail because of this one tool. I have cited a whole bunch of reasons why for me and my company the Pro-Press just does not make economic sense and never will but perhaps you guys have found a way to be profitable and that's good if you have. I will however stick with my assertion that press, solder, sharkbite, compress, flare, braze or glue, copper is on the way out and I doubt that anyone will be using it within 20 years. I have one word for you sonny....Plastics
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          Whats funny about that? You better keep it because everything cant be pressed.....like those joints under slabs. Then why buy a used machine? Cost is no object because the customers paying for it.

So far everything gets pressed. Sorry if you don't like it. I find it fascinating that you are so worried about everything I do and how it gets your panties in such a bind! Entertainment, loving it. And if I did use the ProPress under a slab what are YOU going to do about it? Does it bother you?

Comment

I will however stick with my assertion that press, solder, sharkbite, compress, flare, braze or glue, copper is on the way out and I doubt that anyone will be using it within 20 years. I have one word for you sonny....Plastics
                            Belly up!

Comment

BACK ON TOPIC: I'm sort of torn between buying the corded Ridgid 330C and the corded Rothenberger Ropress 16202. If I'm reading it right the Ropress has 24000 pounds of press, the Ridgid has 7200 pounds. The Ridgid is 9 lbs, the Ropress is 15 pounds. So which is the better corded tool? The Ropress sounds Beefy!

http://www.rothenberger-usa.com/file...ress_tools.pdf

RP 330-C Press Tool - RIDGID Professional Tools

Comment

Depends on your bicep's I guess. I have a battery powered Wirsbo expander that works well but man I'll tell you after a day of holding that thing above my head, I've had enough. They seriously need to find a way to lighten these things up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X