This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ProPress

For me I think a Press tool would be beneficial for those high end finished basements I must work in all the time. 98% of our area has basements, and a ton of them are impeccable with how they look, and the people are meticulous. It's bad enough a little water will hit the floor at some point, I don't need solder damage as well.

I've had covers down and still managed to get solder on something before, and I always cringe that I damaged something. A lot of these basements have those 10ft + ceilings and I think Propress would be a better choice for me to use in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      I bet it was 50/50 solder?
      It could of been, as the house was surely old enough.

Comment

Good call Flux, The propress jobs I've done have looked spectacular. and it goes together clean.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          I use to think that as well, until this job we are working on right now. Our neighbor is a realtor and also rehabs these foreclosures he buys.

This house had freeze problems and 2 of those leaks were 1/2 fittings that blew off the pipe. Normally you can see the copper isn't tinned all the way around. But these 2 fittings were clearly soldered properly, and it was the first time I've seen that. One would think that pipe would of burst first, before the fitting blowing off.
          I seen a toilet that broke once when my helper hit it with a hammer.
          Does that mean it was a bad toilet?

Or that solder joints are not ment to stand up to freezing?

I have seen plenty of solder fittings pulled apart by freezing, but if you let it freeze, wtf do you expect? Copper pipe is also know to split when froze, and how many times have you seen a silcock split directly after the plunger touches the seat?

Propress is great, like I said my old company ownes 2. Corded and cordless. How much is that? About 5?

And for you to have paid for a proprses in the first repipe, means you cleared well over 2k in profit. I can only imagine what the job cost the CUSTOMER for you to buy and self justify a fancy toy.

You guys that do multi story dwelling leaks weekly, sure buy one it's gonna make your life easier. You that run single level residential servce? Buyer beware. They just aren't worth it.

And if you are basically breastfeeding off it and can't get by without it? Maybe you need to go ahead and think about that. There are several methods for stopping water. You may well get it done faster, but it's somewhat of a satisfaction taking a little pride in my work, and doing what YOU can not, for so much cheaper. We that run T&M make just as much money without it, and have just as much work. I can only run so many service calls in a day, and a propress MIGHT moght mean one more call a day. It's not going to magically shave 4 hours off a water heater install, or make all my worries go away.

And personally I think the fittings look hideous. And if I ever did find myself in the NEED OMG I NEED A PROPRESS TOOL. I'd rent one.

That probably will really get under your skin. Knowing that not only do I know how to stop water from dripping, but when I need one I get all the pros, and none of the cons, from renting one!

but take heart, when copper phases out, you can relax, and put that over priced tool to rest once and for all.

I actually did 2 water service relays today. Had to solder some 1 inch copper. Not sure how much the fittings were, or how much the jobs were. But my trusty turbo torch soldered them fittins up in about 1 minute. Sure would be hard to justify buying a 2 THOUSAND dollar machine to do what most every plumber can with a flame, for something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            BACK ON TOPIC: I'm sort of torn between buying the corded Ridgid 330C and the corded Rothenberger Ropress 16202. If I'm reading it right the Ropress has 24000 pounds of press, the Ridgid has 7200 pounds. The Ridgid is 9 lbs, the Ropress is 15 pounds. So which is the better corded tool? The Ropress sounds Beefy!

http://www.rothenberger-usa.com/file...ress_tools.pdf

RP 330-C Press Tool - RIDGID Professional Tools
            don't get the axial pressing / ram output confused with the radial crimping force.

one is the ram output and the other is the jaw crimp force.

stick with the ridgid.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
              I seen a toilet that broke once when my helper hit it with a hammer.
              Does that mean it was a bad toilet?

Or that solder joints are not ment to stand up to freezing?

I have seen plenty of solder fittings pulled apart by freezing, but if you let it freeze, wtf do you expect? Copper pipe is also know to split when froze, and how many times have you seen a silcock split directly after the plunger touches the seat?

Propress is great, like I said my old company ownes 2. Corded and cordless. How much is that? About 5?

And for you to have paid for a proprses in the first repipe, means you cleared well over 2k in profit. I can only imagine what the job cost the CUSTOMER for you to buy and self justify a fancy toy.

You guys that do multi story dwelling leaks weekly, sure buy one it's gonna make your life easier. You that run single level residential servce? Buyer beware. They just aren't worth it.

And if you are basically breastfeeding off it and can't get by without it? Maybe you need to go ahead and think about that. There are several methods for stopping water. You may well get it done faster, but it's somewhat of a satisfaction taking a little pride in my work, and doing what YOU can not, for so much cheaper. We that run T&M make just as much money without it, and have just as much work. I can only run so many service calls in a day, and a propress MIGHT moght mean one more call a day. It's not going to magically shave 4 hours off a water heater install, or make all my worries go away.

And personally I think the fittings look hideous. And if I ever did find myself in the NEED OMG I NEED A PROPRESS TOOL. I'd rent one.

That probably will really get under your skin. Knowing that not only do I know how to stop water from dripping, but when I need one I get all the pros, and none of the cons, from renting one!

but take heart, when copper phases out, you can relax, and put that over priced tool to rest once and for all.

I actually did 2 water service relays today. Had to solder some 1 inch copper. Not sure how much the fittings were, or how much the jobs were. But my trusty turbo torch soldered them fittins up in about 1 minute. Sure would be hard to justify buying a 2 THOUSAND dollar machine to do what most every plumber can with a flame, for something like that.
              I don't have a pressing tool, so let's not confuse me with those who do.

But just because I want one, doesn't mean I can't do the same things you can do with a torch, as you wouldn't teach me anything that I don't already know.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                BACK ON TOPIC: I'm sort of torn between buying the corded Ridgid 330C and the corded Rothenberger Ropress 16202. If I'm reading it right the Ropress has 24000 pounds of press, the Ridgid has 7200 pounds. The Ridgid is 9 lbs, the Ropress is 15 pounds. So which is the better corded tool? The Ropress sounds Beefy!

http://www.rothenberger-usa.com/file...ress_tools.pdf

RP 330-C Press Tool - RIDGID Professional Tools
                I wouldn't get caught up in any of the pounds or pressure ratings regardless of who makes it. The purpose is to close the jaw whether it has a 100 pound or 1 million pound rating. Long as it closes them, it's doing the job. I do believe weight is a significant factor however and that's why I think the stick Rothenberger is the first choice for anything 1" and below. Along with its size & shape of course.

Between the two you are looking at, both do the same thing, are roughly the same size, but the Ridgid is significantly lighter. I'd get the Ridgid.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  I don't have a pressing tool, so let's not confuse me with those who do.

But just because I want one, doesn't mean I can't do the same things you can do with a torch, as you wouldn't teach me anything that I don't already know.

Actually the first part of my post addressed something you said, none of the rest was directed specifically at anyone, espescially you, sorry if it came off that way.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    don't get the axial pressing / ram output confused with the radial crimping force.

one is the ram output and the other is the jaw crimp force.

stick with the ridgid.

rick.

Do you know what the crimp force is for the Ridgid?

Comment

Stolen I'll address your concerns. I did pay for my first ProPress with the first re-pipe I did with it. My first ProPress was the Rothenberger, bought a demo from a salesman at my local wholesaler for 1200 bucks so it wasn't too hard to cover the cost on the re-pipe. Saved myself about 600 bucks. There are deals out there if you look.

Your concern that plumbers are "breast feeding" off it is silly. If you have the tool, , enjoy using the tool, and have confidence in the tool and the fittings why would you want to solder when you could use the ProPress? If you have it use it.
                      I could say the same thing about you breast feeding off any one of your tools.
                      I've been doing this for over 24 years and believe me I've done my share of soldering and using jet sweats etc., they're not all that glamorous. In fact a lot of times they are a pain in the azzz. I don't miss the dirty mess of soldering, breathing the fumes, the risk of fire and soldering in tight spots. I think I'll stick with the ProPress.

You're the first person I've ever heard say the fitting look hideous. Your opinion though.

In no way are you getting under my skin. Seen enough of you come and go over the years to let these comments bother me. I come to this board for two reasons. To gain knowledge from other plumbers and for entertainment from folks like you. Have a nice evening.

Comment

Stolen, I have no idea what "HNIC" stands for Especially working for NASA so I googled " HNIC".
                        I read the first one, I hope that's not it.
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-19-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          People say they use their press tools all the time literally everyday. But ya know.......

Let see some inventory and some work pics of all this press technology.
                          Just thought I'd through this little picture and story into the fray.

Scenario: It’s 8pm, your 4 star hotel is full, and water is pouring out of your boiler room from a water line that has blown out from a 4" bronze ball valve. Who you gonna call after some one remembers where the main water shut off valve is located?

a. The company that couldn't fix the leak after 4 hours of trying and had given up.
                          b. Ghost Busters.
                          c. ArizonaPlumber and Company

The correct answer is C.

Why?
                          Because by 9:10 pm we were on the job. By 10:15 we had removed and replaced a 4" ball valve, a 4"x3" copper tee, about 7ft of pipe and 3 couplings, and to the amazement of every one on site, had the water back on to the hotel.

Was it an expensive repair?
                          Not really, when you consider what the “100% satisfaction hotel” would have lost had they had to refund 210 room nights that average $189.95.

This hotel didn't lose a dime in revenue, as they didn't get one complaint.

Could anyone else have made the same repair within the same time frame?
                          Only if the company they called had the following materials on their truck.
                          1-4" Ball Valve CxC
                          1-4" ProPress Copper Tee
                          1-4"x3" Copper Fitting Reducer
                          2-4" ProPress Couplings
                          1-3" ProPress Coupling
                          4'-4" Copper Pipe
                          3'-3" Copper Pipe
                          1- ProPress Tool & XL jaw set
                          2- Old Geezers aged 59 & 69 that know the true value of ProPress.

Note: We're both 5 years older now, and I'll only be 109 when the warranty is up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a great example of how a propress saved the day.

Now imagine something more normal. Like joebobs plumbing. they buy this super awesome gonna save them tons of time propress tool.
                            they get 15 calls a week, they are 80% sewer stoppages and the rest estimates.

Now they have a tool that MAYBE gets used once-twice a month, year even.

I stand by the "it's too expensive" argument, and that argument alone. Great tool, just a little expensive for me right now.

I am done with this horse now. My stick is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                              Just thought I'd through this little picture and story into the fray.

Scenario: It’s 8pm, your 4 star hotel is full, and water is pouring out of your boiler room from a water line that has blown out from a 4" bronze ball valve. Who you gonna call after some one remembers where the main water shut off valve is located?

a. The company that couldn't fix the leak after 4 hours of trying and had given up.
                              b. Ghost Busters.
                              c. ArizonaPlumber and Company

The correct answer is C.

Why?
                              Because by 9:10 pm we were on the job. By 10:15 we had removed and replaced a 4" ball valve, a 4"x3" copper tee, about 7ft of pipe and 3 couplings, and to the amazement of every one on site, had the water back on to the hotel.

Was it an expensive repair?
                              Not really, when you consider what the “100% satisfaction hotel” would have lost had they had to refund 210 room nights that average $189.95.

This hotel didn't lose a dime in revenue, as they didn't get one complaint.

Could anyone else have made the same repair within the same time frame?
                              Only if the company they called had the following materials on their truck.
                              1-4" Ball Valve CxC
                              1-4" ProPress Copper Tee
                              1-4"x3" Copper Fitting Reducer
                              2-4" ProPress Couplings
                              1-3" ProPress Coupling
                              4'-4" Copper Pipe
                              3'-3" Copper Pipe
                              1- ProPress Tool & XL jaw set
                              2- Old Geezers aged 59 & 69 that know the true value of ProPress.

Note: We're both 5 years older now, and I'll only be 109 when the warranty is up.
                              That looks like a great use for propress. What kinda torch did you use to solder the valve in with? No propress valve available?

Comment

don't know how much soldering any of you guys have done, but i for 1 have done soldering / brazing for 37 years and have the burns to prove it.

anyone that thinks they can prep a solder joint in a dry condition by sanding , fluxing, soldering and wiping the joint clean in 5 seconds is not telling the truth. now throw in the fact that service and repair is not always clean and dry connections, still 5 seconds. now beef that up to a 4'' joint, still 5 seconds. how about a 4'' joint with water still draining? 5 seconds.

i rather doubt too many of you ever see anything above 2'', but with my line of work, i see up to 6'' and stock propress up to 4'' along with solder fittings to 6'' and copper victaulic fittings up to 6''. not too many companies are set up with the tools, equipment and material along with the skills to work on big copper especially on systems that are live and buildings are occupied.

but anyone that thinks they can fit and connect a live system and compete with me and my propress is seriously clueless. 5 seconds in ideal or non ideal conditions. makes no difference.

what makes a difference is having the customer base along with the contacts with other plumbers and contractors to be able to come to a job and make the near impossible, possible. 1 person can make an entire company look like armatures when you have the tools that get the job done. in the close to 10 years i've used propress, i've not had 1 fitting i've had to go back to. that's 1/2''- 4'' without a drip on systems that are far from idea working conditions.

propress might not be ideal for everyone. which actually is better for me. if i'm only 1 of a handful that can supply the tools and material to get it done, then i'm the one they call for the work and the rentals. i've even had a viega rep call me to bail out another customer of his.

more and more companies have cameras and jetters. very few have propress. a propress is way less expensive than a camera or a decent jetter. the less plumbers that can provide my specialty service, the more clients that will come to me.

several years ago i was on a condo hoa job. they needed shut off valves installed. i show up and the hoa member actually recognized me from the research he had done on propress. needless to say i got the job and gained a hoa for a client.

i've been to 2 hotels that the entire system is proress 1/2''-4. and victaulic to 6''. 1 is the newest hotel in beverly hills and i know i posted photos of it in the past. the other was a camera job in newport beach and that hotel was also proress and victaulic.

too bad propress wasn't around when i was involved in new construction. we had 1 of the first t-drills in america. we also had the only t-drill capable of pulling a 2'' t from a 6'' main. we had it converted from a 4'' tool to 6''. at the time a 6'' x 2'' tee was approx $120.00 and that was 1990. not to mention the work involved to prep and solder 2-6'' joints and a 2'' joint. with the t-drill, we had only a 2'' joint to braze and a 6'' coupling every 20'. i can honestly tell you that the t-drill paid for itself in the first few days of the job. nothing like hanging 20' sections of 6'' copper and drilling a tee where needed. you could fabb the entire garage and fall back to braze it days/ weeks later. no flux to worry about.

we were 1 of the most successful union new construction shops in los angeles. the second biggest account for familian pipe and supply. now fergusons. we didn't get this way by being old school. we invested in the best tools for the job. even had 1 of the first hydraulic production snap cutters by wheeler rex.

not too many shops have the equipment or resources that i can provide. and the 1 tool that not too many can supply is the propress.

10 and counting

who owns a hdpe fusion machine?

who rents 1?

another tool that is specialty and blows away steel pipe underground.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X