• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ProPress

But damn it I have to be right
    sigpic

Comment

STOLEN, we disagree but that's ok. What works for me may not work for you. I've had mine for two years and yes I Think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Honestly and I'm not even kidding when I say that after two years of using it almost every day for everything from tub shower valves installed to hose bibs to water heaters, to laundry sink installations, to angle stops, for valves, boilers, etc. etc., if someone said I couldn't use it anymore I would quit plumbing, no chit. Honest truth.

I just called Rothenberger this morning to ask them about servicing my tool. I'm sure I'm close to the 10,000 press mark by now. They said I could send it in and it would take about 10 days. 10 DAYS!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I can't live without it for that long, maybe I'll go on vacations while it's being serviced, no way I can go back to soldering now.

So now I know for a fact I need another tool for the bigger stuff and for a back up. No doubt about it.

They also said all they do is check the seals and make sure the fluid is full and has no leaks. I haven't seen any problems with mine at all.

Regarding the cost of the fittings again and getting jobs. NEVER EVER have I found it to be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        It's okay to disagree but let's give each other the respect to have their own opinions.

Mark
        They can have their own opinions but they cant have their own set of facts. The fact is a propress joint is of lesser quality of a properly brazed or soldered joint. Thats a fact.

They are compromising quality for speed and for it to be easy and charging MORE to do it. Thats fine but I assure you that the customer is NEVER told this. Repiping a single house and charging a 1200.00 tool to the job seems to be a rip off to me. Then they claim to use this tool everyday. The proper way would be to spread the cost out over time to many customers........but if your broke and cant come up with 1200.00 I guess thats one way to buy it. Charge it to the one job your working on.

Thats just my opinion.
        Last edited by TheMaster; 08-16-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          They can have their own opinions but they cant have their own set of facts. The fact is a propress joint is of lesser quality of a properly brazed or soldered joint. Thats a fact.

They are compromising quality for speed and for it to be easy and charging MORE to do it. Thats fine but I assure you that the customer is NEVER told this. Repiping a single house and charging a 1200.00 tool to the job seems to be a rip off to me. Then they claim to use this tool everyday. The proper way would be to spread the cost out over time to many customers........but if your broke and cant come up with 1200.00 I guess thats one way to buy it. Charge it to the one job your working on.

Thats just my opinion.

No that's not a fact, THAT IS YOUR OPINION and I respect your opinion TM. But, lay off the personal attacks and insults, we all know you're talking about me since that's what I posted. WE (those who use ProPress) are not compromising quality, WE have NEVER ripped anyone off, the proper way? Once again YOUR opinion, not fact.

Careful TM, you be walking a very thin line. Mark has already sent a warning shot over the bow, next one may be a direct hit! Play nice or don't play at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            No that's not a fact, THAT IS YOUR OPINION and I respect your opinion TM. But, lay off the personal attacks and insults, we all know you're talking about me since that's what I posted. WE (those who use ProPress) are not compromising quality, WE have NEVER ripped anyone off, the proper way? Once again YOUR opinion, not fact.

Careful TM, you be walking a very thin line. Mark has already sent a warning shot over the bow, next one may be a direct hit! Play nice or don't play at all.
            Thats my opinion and thats a fact. A brazed joint Will exceed the burst pressure of copper pipe.....a propress cant make that claim. Would you like to see the data in black and white?

Let Mark handle the forum......you have been saying I'ma be banned every thread you dont agree with me on. Get the F over it we are not in grade school.

Comment

Thats my opinion and thats a fact. A brazed joint Will exceed the burst pressure of copper pipe.....a propress cant make that claim. Would you like to see the data in black and white?

Let Mark handle the forum......you have been saying I'ma be banned every thread you dont agree with me on. Get the F over it we are not in grade school.
              What did you just say? Sure I'll let Mark handle you just like he has in the past. You DO NOT treat people this way here. You treat people with respect. If you can't act like an adult then leave. What is wrong with you?

Comment

Not sure if that's a fair comparison as most joints, at least the ones I see, are soldered, not brazed. I think the solder vs. press specs are close. I've studied them in the past but don't feel like finding them honestly.

This is specifically addressing PSI threshold. Not long term testing like I describe in my too-many-word post on page 5.

This debate is getting nuts too me. There is all kinds of equipment and ways of doing things that are profitable and maybe a "better" way in different parts of the U.S that work for some but maybe won't for others. For me to tell someone that their wrong to do it that way or vice-versa doesn't seem right.

J.C.

Comment

Anything that comes close to achieving burst pressure for any copper joint is going to be a problem.

Joey, is that how you spell achieving? I don't think it looks right.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Not sure if that's a fair comparison as most joints, at least the ones I see, are soldered, not brazed. I think the solder vs. press specs are close. I've studied them in the past but don't feel like finding them honestly.

This is specifically addressing PSI threshold. Not long term testing like I describe in my too-many-word post on page 5.

This debate is getting nuts too me. There is all kinds of equipment and ways of doing things that are profitable and maybe a "better" way in different parts of the U.S. For me to tell someone that their wrong to do it that way or vice-versa doesn't seem right.

J.C.

You are correct! I have not seen anyone else including me saying that soldering is wrong or that if you're soldering you're doing it wrong etc. All we've been saying is if you like ProPress great, if you don't that's great too, who cares. My opinion is my opinion, I love the thing. I'm certainly not going to chit all over someone for not using it, or start swearing at them or insulting them. But that's what seems to be happening with one individual on the opposite side of this issue, hmmmm.

Comment

I'd like a propress .But can't seem to justify buying it right now .The fitting price is rediculous..I know Iknow the customer is paying for them .40 for a 1/2" copper 90 or $6 for a 1/2" propress 90..I may be a bit off on the prices but probably not much..To me though lets just say you have a flat price on changing out a water heater..Now are you really going to want to eat $100 worth of press fittings or maybe $20 worth of sweat fittings..I would prefer another $80 im my pocket..just me though
                      Last edited by OLD1; 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM. Reason: sp
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        What did you just say? Sure I'll let Mark handle you just like he has in the past. You DO NOT treat people this way here. You treat people with respect. If you can't act like an adult then leave. What is wrong with you?
                        I didn't say anything......I typed it in black and white. Whats wrong with you? You seem really sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

This debate is getting nuts too me. There is all kinds of equipment and ways of doing things that are profitable and maybe a "better" way in different parts of the U.S that work for some but maybe won't for others. For me to tell someone that their wrong to do it that way or vice-versa doesn't seem right.

J.C.
                          They are using 2" copper to run gas with propress G and other sizes. Copper pipe when used for gas must be brazed.....not soldered. Hence the reference to brazing vs propress.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            I'd like a propress .But can't seem to justify buying it right now .The fitting price is rediculous..I know Iknow the customer is paying for them .40 for a 1/2' copper 90 or $6 for a 1/2" propress 90..I may be a bit off on the prices but probably not much..To me though lets just say you have a flat price on changing out a water heater..Now are you really going to want to eat $100 worth of press fittings or maybe $20 worth of sweat fittings..I would prefer another $80 im my pocket..just me though

My water heater flat rate prices changed when I started using the PP. I use two 3/4" fipxPP on the WH, a PP ball valve, and a couple of PP couplings, 90's if needed. Charging about 45 bucks more now, not really a big deal when someone has a leaker. My labor rate stayed the same even though I'm out of there a lot sooner than I used to be. Is that ripping off the customer or is that smart business?

Comment

I didn't say anything......I typed it in black and white. Whats wrong with you? You seem really sensitive.
                              Sure, I might even cry. You're the only one with her panties in a bind over this TM.
                              Last edited by ironranger; 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

They are using 2" copper to run gas with propress G and other sizes. Copper pipe when used for gas must be brazed.....not soldered. Hence the reference to brazing vs propress.
                                What does that have to do with anything????????????????????????????

Comment

Working...
                                X