Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ProPress

Originally posted by Mayberry Plumber View Post
    I've been looking to buy a Pro-press. Should I?
    Here try this:

Ask the Magic Eight Ball

Comment

Ah He!!

Crank it back up......

J.C.

Comment

I want to get a press tool for "certain situations", as I believe it will benefit me in the long run. I most likely wouldn't use a press tool for whole house pipe installs, as it wouldn't be cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          I want to get a press tool for "certain situations", as I believe it will benefit me in the long run. I most likely wouldn't use a press tool for whole house pipe installs, as it wouldn't be cost effective.

I've only done it twice and both homes were the same. One bathroom and kitchen on the same wall with basement a water heater, laundry sink and two outside hose bibs.. They asked for the copper with ProPress because they've seen it and liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            If I spend 2,000.00 on a tool, it will be used in as many situations as possible.

I priced a job today based on sweating copper, then found out my wholesaler would lend me a pro-press. I stopped at the counter to ask what the cost of fittings. If I am only going to pay approximately a buck, buck and a half more per fitting, but be able to do the work in 1/4 of the time.

Its a no brainer!!!

I could give a $hit less about a sweat joint being better, the pro-press will last long enough. Plumbing systems are not supposed to last forever.

Now here's the rub....
            My quote price is not going to change all that significantly because I am a smart enough to find a better way. Instead I will make the same profit, but be done and on to enjoying my weekend that much sooner, as this job is being done on a Saturday.

The only problems I really have is coming up with the 2,000.00 to purchase one. I was looking for a little more than speculation, more a desire to find hard data supporting such a large purchase.
            If I can't fix it, I will help you find a good plumber.

Comment

If I spend 2,000.00 on a tool, it will be used in as many situations as possible.

I priced a job today based on sweating copper, then found out my wholesaler would lend me a pro-press. I stopped at the counter to ask what the cost of fittings. If I am only going to pay approximately a buck, buck and a half more per fitting, but be able to do the work in 1/4 of the time.

Its a no brainer!!!

I could give a $hit less about a sweat joint being better, the pro-press will last long enough. Plumbing systems are not supposed to last forever.

Now here's the rub....
              My quote price is not going to change all that significantly because I am a smart enough to find a better way. Instead I will make the same profit, but be done and on to enjoying my weekend that much sooner, as this job is being done on a Saturday.

The only problems I really have is coming up with the 2,000.00 to purchase one. I was looking for a little more than speculation, more a desire to find hard data supporting such a large purchase.

I believe you answered your own question. You sound like you know what you're doing. Buy it and have fun, you will love it! It will pay for itself over and over again.

Comment

Its a no brainer!!!

Now here's the rub....

There is 25 pages on this subject right here, and if you can't make your mind up through all of this, then we don't know what to tell you.

Personally, I think you answered your own question by what you typed above. Nobody says "no brainer" and then questions his own motives. Go get one and have fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  Call the cops? Are you mentally insane or what? What are you going to tell them, I sent you a private message telling you who you are and I called you names??????? LOL You crack me up!!!!! I see you still want to continue this argument, ok but not here. I'll stop by and we can do it in person one of these day. Maybe I'll buy you lunch!

Your always calling for a guy to be banned......well this time you really screwed the pooch. You should have never sent me that kind of a message. I find it to be a threat along with this post saying how you will drop by one day to finish the argument.

Your passive aggressive......and now your tlaking about dropping by my house. That would be a fatal mistake on your part. I advise you to stay away from me and my family.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Thing is, it doesn't appear to be a woop's. Seated and pressed....but leaking. Wonder why?

P.S. Bet that's not a Viega approved correction. No warranty on that connections three sides. Bet anything they would demand 3 slip couplings and a Tee.

J.C.
                    Since when can they tell you how to repair leaks?
                    Is there a contract you enter with them that says once you buy this tool, you will fix this situation this way? I have personally never seen a 4 inch tee, but that one had metal teeth that left grooves in the pipe. If they weren't so deep you could possibly buff them out with sand cloth, but...

I was told by ferguson that you are NOT SUPPOSED TO SAND COPPER when you install a shark bite, it has to be smooth. Since it uses a o ring to seal, woulnd't this same rule apply to press fittings?

I have personally seen a 2 inch press tee leak before, not sure why, but it was prepped and clamped right. Maybe the o ring had a nik in it from shipping or something though.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                      Since when can they tell you how to repair leaks?
                      Is there a contract you enter with them that says once you buy this tool, you will fix this situation this way? I have personally never seen a 4 inch tee, but that one had metal teeth that left grooves in the pipe. If they weren't so deep you could possibly buff them out with sand cloth, but...

I was told by ferguson that you are NOT SUPPOSED TO SAND COPPER when you install a shark bite, it has to be smooth. Since it uses a o ring to seal, woulnd't this same rule apply to press fittings?
                      In a propress fitting the "O" ring is squeezed and a sharkbite is not. When it gets pressed the sealing element aka "O" gets squeezed increasing its contact with the joint.

Comment

Sorry guys we are beyond done.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                        X