Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ProPress

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    How much commercial and Multi-Occupancy buildings do you do?
    Look at what each of the other plumbers do.

Ironranger...I'd get a 100
    Plumberscrack...I'd get a 330
    Drtyhands...I'd borrow one from Rick.
    I do strictly remodels and repairs. Residential and light commercial(restaurants, hotels, strip malls, etc)

Anyone used the soil pipe cutter for the Pro Press?
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
      I do strictly remodels and repairs. Residential and light commercial(restaurants, hotels, strip malls, etc)

Anyone used the soil pipe cutter for the Pro Press?
      If you're talking about the chain cutter for cast iron, I have and thought it was trash. Just crushed the pipe in on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

fittings are of much higher quality, better sweep and thicker copper. they cost more, but are far superior to cxc fittings.

rick.
        The fittings are not superior to sweat fittings. Sweat fittings are superior because they are installed with solder or brazing. I guess you got caught up in the moment.

Comment

To be fair they are heavier and thicker but they have to be to withstand the pressure and hold the rubber O ring that is the only thing that keeps them from leaking for awhile
          sigpic

Comment

True the O-ring is the only thing that keeps them from leaking. But if the fittings never move, the O-ring "should" last forever. Or at least a long, long time.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              To be fair they are heavier and thicker but they have to be to withstand the pressure and hold the rubber O ring that is the only thing that keeps them from leaking for awhile
              I felt like I was being fair. You could make them twice as thick as they are now......but thats not the issue. Its the sealing element AKA "o ring". A system is no stronger than its weakest link. An O ring is not as good as soldering or brazing.

YOU NHmaster if anyone will appreciate how F'n crazy these people are......look and read closely. 2" 2lb. natural gas ran through A.C. plenums....WTF LOL
              http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en...stems_2006.pdf

Comment

Emphasis on the word "should"

I don't trust rubber. I have two extra kids thanks to rubber.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  The fittings are not superior to sweat fittings. Sweat fittings are superior because they are installed with solder or brazing. I guess you got caught up in the moment.
                  the fittings are type k or heavier. the fitting have an extra long sweep. now compare that to the ultra thin non sweep fitting that you solder. show me the 50 year manufactures warranty on those fittings.
                  show me a 5 second joint with water still running.
                  show me that you and the rest of the country use legal water soluble flux. because the last time i checked, the majority of the forum didn't use it or didn't know it was required.

then tell me that a solder fitting is better.

in the close to 10 years i've used propress, i've not had to go back to 1 propress to repair or replace it. and i'm talking 1/2''-4'' joints.

i think you're nuts for using soldered on angle stops. not because they're bad, but impractical and a compression angle stop has not let me down.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=TheMaster;354617]I felt like I was being fair. You could make them twice as thick as they are now......but thats not the issue. Its the sealing element AKA "o ring". A system is no stronger than its weakest link. An O ring is not as good as soldering or brazing.
                    QUOTE]

i guess you don't trust or use victaulic either. haven't seen 1 fire protection system that didn't use a victaulic joint. don't see those leaking and they rely on a number of factors to make them work.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;354624]
                      Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      I felt like I was being fair. You could make them twice as thick as they are now......but thats not the issue. Its the sealing element AKA "o ring". A system is no stronger than its weakest link. An O ring is not as good as soldering or brazing.
                      QUOTE]

i guess you don't trust or use victaulic either. haven't seen 1 fire protection system that didn't use a victaulic joint. don't see those leaking and they rely on a number of factors to make them work.

rick.
                      Rick what does victaulic have to do with claiming propress makes a superior connection than a solder fitting?

Comment

the fittings are type k or heavier. the fitting have an extra long sweep. now compare that to the ultra thin non sweep fitting that you solder. show me the 50 year manufactures warranty on those fittings.
                        show me a 5 second joint with water still running.
                        show me that you and the rest of the country use legal water soluble flux. because the last time i checked, the majority of the forum didn't use it or didn't know it was required.

then tell me that a solder fitting is better.

in the close to 10 years i've used propress, i've not had to go back to 1 propress to repair or replace it. and i'm talking 1/2''-4'' joints.

i think you're nuts for using soldered on angle stops. not because they're bad, but impractical and a compression angle stop has not let me down.

rick.
                        Now hold on here big guy. You're starting to get off topic. Regardless what kind of flux used, the idea that soldering is better or worse than pressing doesn't change.

You can do all this fancy stuff with propress. Sure, I get that. I understand the convenience.

But you also can afford to spend that kind of money on it. It is very expensive when not only can you rent one around here, but I can do everything a propress can with a torch. Barring of course, things that aren't possible aka soldering with a water drip.

But if you really look at it, that is the only REAL advantage to pressing. Sure it saves time, but so does pex. And it's a HELL of alot cheaper than pressing, and faster. Much faster and you could actually pex totally submerged in water, tool and joint.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                          Now hold on here big guy. You're starting to get off topic. Regardless what kind of flux used, the idea that soldering is better or worse than pressing doesn't change.

You can do all this fancy stuff with propress. Sure, I get that. I understand the convenience.

But you also can afford to spend that kind of money on it. It is very expensive when not only can you rent one around here, but I can do everything a propress can with a torch. Barring of course, things that aren't possible aka soldering with a water drip.

But if you really look at it, that is the only REAL advantage to pressing. Sure it saves time, but so does pex. And it's a HELL of alot cheaper than pressing, and faster. Much faster and you could actually pex totally submerged in water, tool and joint.
                          true in most of your statement. but remember that pex is for work not exposed to uv/ sunlight. also pex stops at 2'' and i doubt too many have used 2'' pex. propress can be used for applications way beyond just potable and hydronic water. and it can be used indoor, outdoor.

so yes, pex is a good product for it's application, but it comes nowhere close to what propress/ copper and stainless fittings can be used for. plus the propress machine also has jaws for pex too. along with cast iron snap cutter, bolt cutters/ cable cutters and even telecommunications/ cable installations.

also i don't see any pex on my jobs at this time. so copper is what i'm using it for.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            and then I would borrow it from you.
                            Mi casa es su......

Nice Avatar

Comment

I would use it for stuff 2 inch and over. But for residential service? I would actually have to TRY to find a use for it. And correct me if I am wrong Will, but that is the main staple of your business isn't it? Residential service?

And I really don't care to much for it's other nifty little attachments,as the only one I tried was the cast iron cutter and it was a joke. So the fact that it is like the swiss army knife of the pipe joiners doesn't appeal to me. The pex attachment? That seems ridiculous. Does it have a torch attachment for it to so I can solder with it?
                              Last edited by stolen; 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=TheMaster;354629]

Rick what does victaulic have to do with claiming propress makes a superior connection than a solder fitting?
                                aren't you the one that doesn't trust a rubber seal for a joint or is that nhmaster?

a properly soldered joint is good. but unless you can eliminate the water and can get a good joint every time, it can fail.

do you know how many joints that i've replaced done by others that were not properly soldered from 1/2''-6''. hundreds.

soldering clean dry fittings up to 1'' i can do with my eyes closed. now factor in water, lousy flux and large bore fittings. i still do 5 and 6'' copper that way as there is no propress. but 4'' and smaller i can do with my eyes closed and water running in 5 seconds without a possibility of a leak now or in the future.

the water soluble flux of the last 20 or so years that is required by law is lousy in the presence of water or moisture. service work typically has wet pipes. moisture and soldering is 1 more obstacle to fight.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X