Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ProPress

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    I don't care what anyone says. ProPress is way faster, way better, looks better, and will last forever. I believe in the Viega Company, In fact I love the company! They are the best thing to happen to our trade in decades. I use their pex and I use their ProPress and it might not please a lot of folks right now but this company has cornered the market. It's just a matter of time before soldering is a thing of the past and that's a fact. Get over it and get with the times or get left behind!
    But its not way better,infact its not as good as a brazed or soldered joint. It will not last forever. Love is blinding. LOL

Sure its faster and its easy and its cool.....but thats not better.

ADD>Whats going to be a thing of the past is copper itself. Plastic will eventually replace everything.

I dont have a problem with propress and I would even use it if I needed to.......but I would never go around telling people the propress is a superior way to join copper.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 08-12-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

went to a 5 story building today that is having a water softener installed on a 3'' main header.

2 guys for the last 4 days and they still have a leak due to water not shutting off. it was only bid for 2 days by the salesman.

salesman calls me for help and advice. go there and talk to the installer that is a licensed water treatment contractor.

told him i could propress it on the final joint and forget about water dripping. he never ever head of propress, but was familiar with sharkbite fittings.

manager is giving them 1 more working day to finish, then they're bring me in to fix it. of course i don't see him passing inspection as the inspector is the most stringent in the city when it comes to cross connections. took them weeks just to get a permit and 3 calls to me for help.

so a job i could have done in 2 days by myself is already going on 5 with 2 guys that all they do is filters and softeners, water treatment.

moral of the story, with the right tools and knowledge, the job would have been done on time and under budget.

should have listened to me when i suggested propress to the salesman 3 months ago

and yes, i have a 15+ year track record for that building.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        went to a 5 story building today that is having a water softener installed on a 3'' main header.

2 guys for the last 4 days and they still have a leak due to water not shutting off. it was only bid for 2 days by the salesman.

salesman calls me for help and advice. go there and talk to the installer that is a licensed water treatment contractor.

told him i could propress it on the final joint and forget about water dripping. he never ever head of propress, but was familiar with sharkbite fittings.

manager is giving them 1 more working day to finish, then they're bring me in to fix it. of course i don't see him passing inspection as the inspector is the most stringent in the city when it comes to cross connections. took them weeks just to get a permit and 3 calls to me for help.

so a job i could have done in 2 days by myself is already going on 5 with 2 guys that all they do is filters and softeners, water treatment.

moral of the story, with the right tools and knowledge, the job would have been done on time and under budget.

should have listened to me when i suggested propress to the salesman 3 months ago

and yes, i have a 15+ year track record for that building.

rick.
        Honestly Rick, I get the impression from your story that they should have hired someone that knew more about plumbing. Whether they have a ProPress or not.

J.C.

Comment

jc, the softener salesman has his own in house plumber that is all he does.

i was brought in a few months ago as a consultant to the building and offered to him pressing the last joints onto the main.

the building is a 5 story in the front and the rear building is a 4 story. the softener is in the upper garage, that's lower than the water meter.

this is the same building that i was able to install a 3'' double check vale assembly on the water main and not shut off the building to do the work.

the city inspector was so impressed with the finished job that the next day he brought over other inspectors to admire it.

all propress and all in 1 day by myself.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I could see a Press system in this scenario. If I were bidding it, I would probably bid it that way myself. Just a much lower chance of seeing it here, so more dust on $3,000.00+ for months at a time.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i don't see him passing inspection as the inspector is the most stringent in the city when it comes to cross connections. .
              How does this company have a Plumbing License if they are endanger of having cross connections? I'd have to think long and hard if I ever seen a cross connection in my career.

Comment

in my experience, water treatment systems are the most common Permanent style of cross connections. Think about the RO systems with the saddle valve for tapping into the kitchen sink tailpeice, or the guys that thread a male adapter into the sewer pipe for the water softener drain instead of cutting in a trap.

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                How does this company have a Plumbing License if they are endanger of having cross connections? I'd have to think long and hard if I ever seen a cross connection in my career.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

plan check made them use an above ground sump box and pump to drain the back wash into. this way the connection to the back wash line could go through an air gap and then pump into the below manhole level garage cleanout.

he wanted to strap the 2 fiberglass softener tanks to the wall that's 2' away with ratcheting truckers slings.

my suggestion is an approved water heater straps with unistrut as the 2' hold off. this way it's secure and won't move during a quake.

it's one thing knowing the code and it's another thing understanding the reasoning behind the code. seismic straps have to either be a rated approved strap, or an engineered stamped approved design. a $20.00 home depot ratchet strap might be rated for 3000# strength, but it's not rated or approved for strapping a tank that's 2' from a wall.

not sure how the inspector will see it, but i'm confident he and i will see it alike.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

im doing a heating re piping job with a new boiler . i asked the boss before i started the job pro press or solder he said solder ,most of the fitting were 2" and when i put an air test on it i had 8 leaks thats the most i ever had on a job
                    the fittings had big gaps in it and the solder was hard to fill the gap .i have been doing soldering for a very long time and i never seen fittings this bad
                    i did look at the time it took me to do the soldering and the price of the fittings and then took the cost of the Viega fittings and the time to put them on if i did not use the solder fittings . at the end i would have saved money and a lot of time pressing every thing
                    the rest of the job im using press fittings and i dont think i will solder big fittings again
                    i do solder unions , fips ,mips and large valves most of the time on press jobs because those fittings cost a lot
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

To me it doesn't matter what the fitting cost. They cost what they cost. I don't pay for them, the customer does. If they want the job done by me they will pay for my ProPress fittings. If they don't want it done by me then no loss. So far I have no problem keeping busy. The truth is customers LOVE the look of the ProPress fittings and frankly they brag about them to their friends and all their friends want the same. You guys not using PorPress are truly missing out. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        You guys not using PorPress are truly missing out. Just my opinion.
                        My dad is fighting me on using Propress. The only words I hear out of his mouth is cost cost cost.

But I did get him a few weeks ago, when Propress would of bailed us out of a situation.

Comment

Though it brings tears to my eyes I fear that within the next 10 years, perhaps less, neither soldering or Pro-Press will be around much if the price of copper continues to rise. Frankly though, if you trust O rings and don't care about the price of fittings then why not just load up on shark bites?
                          sigpic

Comment

How will copper not be around? There is literally millions of homes, businesses, restaurants, etc that still have copper pipe in them. Hell I still do repairs on galvanized pipe. Copper wont be installed like it use to, but there is still going to be millions of repairs to be done over the years. I'm wanting the pro press for the light commercial jobs and mechanical rooms repairs/re pipes.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

right now copper is still king here. but according to my supply house, pex is being sold a lot more this year than last year.

single family homes, repipes are a no brainer with pex.

since pex can't be exposed to uv light. i don't see it taking over for commercial work. but i do see it working on a split hybrid system. copper in the exposed parking, with copper stubs up and then pex throughout the interior.

still have my original wirsboro crimper, but it's been sitting in the shop since it's first use 10 years ago.

if i still did repipes, then pex would be the pipe of choice.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                                How will copper not be around? There is literally millions of homes, businesses, restaurants, etc that still have copper pipe in them. Hell I still do repairs on galvanized pipe. Copper wont be installed like it use to, but there is still going to be millions of repairs to be done over the years. I'm wanting the pro press for the light commercial jobs and mechanical rooms repairs/re pipes.
                                Then you should get yourself a press tool. I'd recommend looking at this one as well. Pay attention to weight and size. Think of places you will use it.

Good luck.

http://www.rothenberger.com/uploads/...ete_GB_low.pdf

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X