This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ProPress

an electric pipe threader is expensive too.

some still hand thread, some have a portable electric hand threader and some have bench threaders 1/2''-2'' some up to 4'' and some monsters up to 6''.

gas pipe is pretty much all i use it for now. some air lines too. but for the most part, the threader is not used like in the old days out here.

but show me 1 plumbing outfit that doesn't own some sort of threader.

it's a necessary tool that sits more than it gets used in our industry. even fire sprinkler contractors are starting to go plastic where allowed.

as far as the warranty goes. i doubt they would have an issue honoring a fitting that's been installed for 10 years and then blame it on improper installation or tools.

i'll see the rep tuseday and pick his brain on what he's seen.

rick.

i guarantee if you provided the tool and the fittings you guys would use it. unless of course they are milking you or the job for time.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

some still hand thread, some have a portable electric hand threader and some have bench threaders 1/2''-2'' some up to 4'' and some monsters up to 6''.

gas pipe is pretty much all i use it for now. some air lines too. but for the most part, the threader is not used like in the old days out here.

it's a necessary tool that sits more than it gets used in our industry. even fire sprinkler contractors are starting to go plastic where allowed.

as far as the warranty goes. i doubt they would have an issue honoring a fitting that's been installed for 10 years and then blame it on improper installation or tools.

rick.

i guarantee if you provided the tool and the fittings you guys would use it. unless of course they are milking you or the job for time.
      I would use a helicopter if you provided it also......but I wouldn't buy one. If hand threading tools cost over 1,000.00(but they dont..more like 200.00) and I didn't already own one...theres no way I would buy it. Most of my(residential) gas work is done with copper anyway. Its soft copper so joints are at a minimum and I braze them because its better than pressing.

If my customers are willing to pay for copper then they are willing to have me install it the best way possible.

Comment

My ProPress tool paid for itself on the first re-pipe I used it on. The fittings are a non issue, the customer pays for materials. The "too expensive" thing just doesn't hold water. The ProPress has cut my time in half or less for these jobs allowing me to do more jobs or allowing me to have more free time to myself, either way I win.

Comment

rick.

I know some that don't have a threader. Profitable, and don't need to own one. Never will.

Same as a ProPress. Some don't have it, are profitable, and don't need to own one. Never will.

Then there's the other side. Some need one, the other....or both! A blanket statement that everyone should have one or not have one is completely incorrect.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            My ProPress tool paid for itself on the first re-pipe I used it on. The fittings are a non issue, the customer pays for materials. The "too expensive" thing just doesn't hold water. The ProPress has cut my time in half or less for these jobs allowing me to do more jobs or allowing me to have more free time to myself, either way I win.
            Flat Rate, right? Nothing wrong with that either. I can just see more of a reason for it if flat rating or bidding jobs. Not so much for time and materials.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

So you repiped a house with copper and pressed it all?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                So you repiped a house with copper and pressed it all?

More than a few times. Some customers don't care and will have it done in pex, others want all copper. I don't solder anymore so yes, all ProPress. You have to remember we have basements here, all the plumbing is mostly exposed from the underside.

Comment

More than a few times. Some customers don't care and will have it done in pex, others want all copper. I don't solder anymore so yes, all ProPress. You have to remember we have basements here, all the plumbing is mostly exposed from the underside.
                  In the past year how many picked copper over pex? Do you press all your pex? or just use manual crimping tool or expander?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    In the past year how many picked copper over pex? Do you press all your pex? or just use manual crimping tool or expander?
                    Since the beginning of this year only two. I have the hand crimpers from Viega for pex up to one inch, I find it way faster than using the press tool.

Comment

I did this job a couple of months ago. The job was done in 15 minutes. I got my 330C about a year ago and rarely used it. After this job I now use on all jobs like this and backflows. No worrying about the pvc pipe heating up and leaking no worrying about water in the line or the city main that does not close all the way. Anyone that says solder is better for jobs like this is crazy. If the o-ring leaks 20 years from now it would be outside. I still wont install underground or in walls, but I am tempted to cause its so easy...There is the world headquarters for Office Depot in S. Florida and the building is a 5 story building that is a quarter mile long and the whole thing was done in Propress. Now I love my propress but I think that is pretty risky. Imagine 30 years from now if we learn that the o-rings fail. Thats an expensive repipe. Propress for sure has its place for the next 50 years. And those that talk bad about it have never used it.
                      Attached Files
                      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        I know some that don't have a threader. Profitable, and don't need to own one. Never will.

Same as a ProPress. Some don't have it, are profitable, and don't need to own one. Never will.

Then there's the other side. Some need one, the other....or both! A blanket statement that everyone should have one or not have one is completely incorrect.

J.C.
                        i can't see a real plumbing company not owning at least a set of hand dies. even if it's just 1/2''-1''.

what do they do? borrow, rent, go to home depot or don't work on threaded piping?

while it's true threaded piping is not what it used to be, but a plumber/ plumbing company without the capability of working on threaded piping, i don't really consider a true plumber/ plumbing company.

no one is forcing you to buy a propress, but all the negative coming from some that have never used one is ridiculous. same as those that oppose a sectional machine that have never used one or even better, don't do drain cleaning.

i don't own a pipe thawing machine, but in 37 years, i've been on 1 frozen pipe call that had already ruptured.

a jetter of any real size or quality cost as much or more than a propress machine. some jetters costing as much as a home for some. yet the ones that don't own one are not knocking a jetter, but trying to figure out how to justify buying one.

so, propress is not going anywhere but up. everyone of the supply houses i shop at stocks the fittings. the more guys i discuss this with, the more people that take my number for help.

honestly the less people that own the tool, the better off for the ones that do. i know for a fact, it's allowed me to do jobs that others without the tool, can't. anyone thinking they can compete with me when it comes to replacing or installing shut off valves in a building just can't. jet swets might help in some situations, but not all and being able to work on lines without having to worry about water or soldering is a no brainer. 5 seconds a joint. no sanding, fluxing or soldering. water still running is not an issue.

i have a job coming up at a very high end furniture/ upolstery shop. it involves installing approx 80' of 3/4'' copper that has to run around the ceiling and cross under 3 different beams. when i told them i could do it without a torch/ soldering they were already sold. no projects need to be moved, no smoke from soldering or drips of flux/ solder. of course no need to ever worry about a fire especially with all the dust and lint floating around the shop.

the job can be done during normal hours without any disruption to their production floor. sure a ladder is needed, but nothing needs to be moved or covered to protect the works in progress.

so having a propress allows me to not have to compete. there is no competition.

ps. my propress machines see more action than my collection of power threaders

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

i can't see a real plumbing company not owning at least a set of hand dies. even if it's just 1/2''-1''.

what do they do? borrow, rent, go to home depot or don't work on threaded piping?

while it's true threaded piping is not what it used to be, but a plumber/ plumbing company without the capability of working on threaded piping, i don't really consider a true plumber/ plumbing company. Many repair companies don't worry with gas at all. They don't want it. Direct them to someone else. And they stay very busy and profitable just as you do. No-one says you're not a plumber because you won't do a rough-in.

no one is forcing you to buy a propress, but all the negative coming from some that have never used one is ridiculous. same as those that oppose a sectional machine that have never used one or even better, don't do drain cleaning. I own the Rothenberger RoMax Compact. I cannot recommend it to people doing residential repair and rough -in similar to myself. Only reason I have it at all is because I found it at a good deal. Otherwise, it would be a poor decision for me, dusty, and for sale.

i don't own a pipe thawing machine, but in 37 years, i've been on 1 frozen pipe call that had already ruptured. I've seen many more than that. Not enough, however, for it to be something to consider buying.

a jetter of any real size or quality cost as much or more than a propress machine. some jetters costing as much as a home for some. yet the ones that don't own one are not knocking a jetter, but trying to figure out how to justify buying one. All towns around me have one. All of them. And they will jet the private side. One of the smallest towns near me has a monster trailer jetter, smaller cameras like Ridgid, AND a crawler cam! Jetters are great. If anyone can keep them busy, get two or three.

so, propress is not going anywhere but up. everyone of the supply houses i shop at stocks the fittings. the more guys i discuss this with, the more people that take my number for help.

No supply house near me stocks any fittings. Not one fitting. I have shown my Rothenberger tool to other plumber friends like you have near you. They call for other things. None call for it. Ever.

honestly the less people that own the tool, the better off for the ones that do. i know for a fact, it's allowed me to do jobs that others without the tool, can't. anyone thinking they can compete with me when it comes to replacing or installing shut off valves in a building just can't. jet swets might help in some situations, but not all and being able to work on lines without having to worry about water or soldering is a no brainer. 5 seconds a joint. no sanding, fluxing or soldering. water still running is not an issue. I agree. Hard to compete in a COMMERCIAL environment.

i have a job coming up at a very high end furniture/ upolstery shop. it involves installing approx 80' of 3/4'' copper that has to run around the ceiling and cross under 3 different beams. when i told them i could do it without a torch/ soldering they were already sold. no projects need to be moved, no smoke from soldering or drips of flux/ solder. of course no need to ever worry about a fire especially with all the dust and lint floating around the shop. Remove the dust danger, and any plumber can do this in a reasonable and timely manner. But with the dust, I might only press it as well.

the job can be done during normal hours without any disruption to their production floor. sure a ladder is needed, but nothing needs to be moved or covered to protect the works in progress. Great to do it during normal hours. I wouldn't whether it is ProPress or Solder myself.

so having a propress allows me to not have to compete. there is no competition. There is always competition. You maybe just haven't had to experience it yet.

ps. my propress machines see more action than my collection of power threaders

No Doubt!

rick.

We go back and forth on this once in awhile for some reason and basically say the same things. You give the impression to people that it's a no brainer and always a wise thing to pursue.

I give the impression to people that if they already have the commercial market or a vision for such, they should pursue it. Otherwise, they could possibly do better investing elsewhere. There can't be a blanket statement when it comes to pricey equipment for everyone. A backhoe can be a very profitable item, but it would be irresponsible for me to tell everyone that it's a no-brainer decision to get one based on a positive experience I may have had.

J.C.

Comment

I believe you are correct. Each person has to assess what they will need. 1" and under, using it a few times a year, on repairs and small remodels, I'd get the Rothenberger hands down.

A warranty in today's times means nothing to me. Just a sales tool. The duty cycle is something to consider. With what he seems to be describing though, the 10,000 duty cycle will serve him very well.

You should get one Rick. For your smaller connections, I bet you'll go to it every time.

J.C.
                            You talking about the Rothenberger 16001?

I like it's slim design, and I think you're right that for guys just getting into pressing, this might be a better choice. I was looking for warranty on their website, but found nothing. What happens after 10,000 cycles?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              You talking about the Rothenberger 16001?

I like it's slim design, and I think you're right that for guys just getting into pressing, this might be a better choice. I was looking for warranty on their website, but found nothing. What happens after 10,000 cycles?
                              It starts a countdown and then explodes like a Grenade.

J.C.

Comment

It starts a countdown and then explodes like a Grenade.

J.C.
                                come on...seriously?

Comment

Working...
                                X