X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ProPress

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    come on...seriously?
    No it retires with benefits. Its in the tool union.

Comment

Ok, you guys are getting silly.

Comment

come on...seriously?
        You have to know that I'm kidding. The new type records the cycles. My old type does not. So, I'll probably send it in soon as it "feels" like it is time too. Any press tool has a maintenance recommendation/requirement at certain intervals. I've spoken to someone about it recently. He told me they open it up and look for wear items and probably put in a seal kit as preventative maintenance. I would have to send mine out of state.

Rothenberger has had a contract for Greenlee to rep them for a little while just for information or if you have a Greenlee dealer near.

http://www.greenlee.com/cat_docs/Rothenberger.pdf

J.C.

Comment

Well, I like the price I saw for the 16002, as that is something I could justify.

Also there is a good price on e-bay for a Propress and jaws right now that almost made me jump on it.

I definitely want a pressing tool though because I believe it has it's place despite my fears.

Comment

Well, I like the price I saw for the 16002, as that is something I could justify.

Also there is a good price on e-bay for a Propress and jaws right now that almost made me jump on it.

I definitely want a pressing tool though because I believe it has it's place despite my fears.
            I don't think you should have any fears. You'll probably like it and find uses for it. I got a deal on some PEX jaws and now my Pops has exclaimed "I don't give a damm how much it costs we're always gonna' have one of them...."

I use offset-short crimpers that can be hard as he!! to squeeze when you have to change a wear setting. Now Pop gets to use this.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i can't see a real plumbing company not owning at least a set of hand dies. even if it's just 1/2''-1''.

what do they do? borrow, rent, go to home depot or don't work on threaded piping?

while it's true threaded piping is not what it used to be, but a plumber/ plumbing company without the capability of working on threaded piping, i don't really consider a true plumber/ plumbing company.

no one is forcing you to buy a propress, but all the negative coming from some that have never used one is ridiculous. same as those that oppose a sectional machine that have never used one or even better, don't do drain cleaning.

i don't own a pipe thawing machine, but in 37 years, i've been on 1 frozen pipe call that had already ruptured.

a jetter of any real size or quality cost as much or more than a propress machine. some jetters costing as much as a home for some. yet the ones that don't own one are not knocking a jetter, but trying to figure out how to justify buying one.

so, propress is not going anywhere but up. everyone of the supply houses i shop at stocks the fittings. the more guys i discuss this with, the more people that take my number for help.

honestly the less people that own the tool, the better off for the ones that do. i know for a fact, it's allowed me to do jobs that others without the tool, can't. anyone thinking they can compete with me when it comes to replacing or installing shut off valves in a building just can't. jet swets might help in some situations, but not all and being able to work on lines without having to worry about water or soldering is a no brainer. 5 seconds a joint. no sanding, fluxing or soldering. water still running is not an issue.

i have a job coming up at a very high end furniture/ upolstery shop. it involves installing approx 80' of 3/4'' copper that has to run around the ceiling and cross under 3 different beams. when i told them i could do it without a torch/ soldering they were already sold. no projects need to be moved, no smoke from soldering or drips of flux/ solder. of course no need to ever worry about a fire especially with all the dust and lint floating around the shop.

the job can be done during normal hours without any disruption to their production floor. sure a ladder is needed, but nothing needs to be moved or covered to protect the works in progress.

so having a propress allows me to not have to compete. there is no competition.

ps. my propress machines see more action than my collection of power threaders

rick.

I see plenty of "real plumbing companies" with threading equipment.
              I also see that equipment sit on the shelves 99% of the year. Those companies are also old. They had them, they didn't just start business last year. In todays age, in service, you could EASILY be successful and profitable without owning one. I can count the number of times last year I used one. On one hand.

And show me one post in this thread where someone actually said, "I have not used a propress" then followed by some negative cmment about it.
              If there was one I missed it. But the majority of the people speaking against it, HAVE used it. We are also all pretty much in agreement that it's a COST thing. No one is saying it's not good, we are saying it is VERY expensive and if you don't NEED it, then you can get by just fine without it.

You guys are branding it as a must have. How you couldn't be a plumber without one is the feeling I am getting.

It's a luxury. Unless you can get plenty of work to justify it, and for me that is hard to say. I don't feel like I would ever need to buy one. If I could afford it, maybe. But my supply houses don't always have a good choice of fittings. And even if I did buy it, I'm not really sure I wouldn't have buyers remorse.

If they were 2-300 bucks each, sure I'd have one, but they aren't, and it's just wild to me to buy something that my 80 dollar torch can do. Sure I can't solder with the water on, sure it's a bit more messy, and smoky. So what.

Comment

I still use a threader all the time, but that's because I trim out Boilers.

Plus I still have customers who ask for Black Pipe versus Gastite.

Comment

I have 13 plumbers working for me. The two pro-press machines I own have been sitting in the tool crib collecting dust for over a year now. I don't stop anyone form using them. No local supply houses carry anything for fittings except a handful of 3/4 and 1/2 elbows and tee's and for what fittings cost there is no way in hell I'm stocking 13 vans with pro-press stuff much less purchasing another 11 machines that need to be regularly serviced. You pro-press guys keep bringing up how fast it is. So what? Do you really have that much work lined up that you need to be done in 10 minutes? I stand by my comment that with the price of pipe and fittings, pro-press or swett, copper is on it's way out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Most one man show's have hand threading equipment. You can pick up a vice, threader and dies and a cutter for under 5 bills. I have 3 Ridgid 300's but we do a lot of commecial gas and steam piping as well as oil and gas tank piping, so after carefully running the numbers, the machines are profitable for me but for a single guy that threads a few jobs a year it would be a total waste of capital. If the tool is sitting on your shelf it is costing you money. Lot's of money.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Re: ProPress

I thread all the time. I run black steel 99% of the time. I don't trust Gastite because of it's weakness to lightning and because it's so thin. Too risky some one might shoot a nail in it, cut it with a saw, step on it and crush it etc. I cut and thread black pipe and bill out for it. I have a Power pony 700 and hand threaders I use on almost weekly basis, and I bust out the 300 every now and then. My threaders bring in big revenue. Gastite is so expensive you could save by buying black pipe and get you some threaders in no time.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

My Propress is not a luxury. I use it most every day for every aspect of service and repair, re-piping and re-model. At this point I would be lost without it. They are not that expensive either. I see them all the time on ebay for about a grand for used. IF you want brand new then sure you're going to pay a couple grand. Even at that price how someone could say it's not worth it is beyond me. Mine paid for itself the first time I used it for a re-pipe. Also, fittings are not "hard" to get. That's a myth. I have two major wholesalers here, Ferguson and Goodin, both are very well stocked with ProPress fittings.
                        I pray these tools are never two or three hundred bucks so that every handy hack has one. I have to say that my ProPress IS a must have and give me the advantage over the competition.

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                        I see plenty of "real plumbing companies" with threading equipment.
                        I also see that equipment sit on the shelves 99% of the year. Those companies are also old. They had them, they didn't just start business last year. In todays age, in service, you could EASILY be successful and profitable without owning one. I can count the number of times last year I used one. On one hand.

And show me one post in this thread where someone actually said, "I have not used a propress" then followed by some negative cmment about it.
                        If there was one I missed it. But the majority of the people speaking against it, HAVE used it. We are also all pretty much in agreement that it's a COST thing. No one is saying it's not good, we are saying it is VERY expensive and if you don't NEED it, then you can get by just fine without it.

You guys are branding it as a must have. How you couldn't be a plumber without one is the feeling I am getting.

It's a luxury. Unless you can get plenty of work to justify it, and for me that is hard to say. I don't feel like I would ever need to buy one. If I could afford it, maybe. But my supply houses don't always have a good choice of fittings. And even if I did buy it, I'm not really sure I wouldn't have buyers remorse.

If they were 2-300 bucks each, sure I'd have one, but they aren't, and it's just wild to me to buy something that my 80 dollar torch can do. Sure I can't solder with the water on, sure it's a bit more messy, and smoky. So what.

Comment

Give me a good price on the tools if you're not using them. Which models do you have?

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          I have 13 plumbers working for me. The two pro-press machines I own have been sitting in the tool crib collecting dust for over a year now. I don't stop anyone form using them. No local supply houses carry anything for fittings except a handful of 3/4 and 1/2 elbows and tee's and for what fittings cost there is no way in hell I'm stocking 13 vans with pro-press stuff much less purchasing another 11 machines that need to be regularly serviced. You pro-press guys keep bringing up how fast it is. So what? Do you really have that much work lined up that you need to be done in 10 minutes? I stand by my comment that with the price of pipe and fittings, pro-press or swett, copper is on it's way out.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            My Propress is not a luxury. I use it most every day for every aspect of service and repair, re-piping and re-model. At this point I would be lost without it. They are not that expensive either. I see them all the time on ebay for about a grand for used. IF you want brand new then sure you're going to pay a couple grand. Even at that price how someone could say it's not worth it is beyond me. Mine paid for itself the first time I used it for a re-pipe. Also, fittings are not "hard" to get. That's a myth. I have two major wholesalers here, Ferguson and Goodin, both are very well stocked with ProPress fittings.
                            I pray these tools are never two or three hundred bucks so that every handy hack has one. I have to say that my ProPress IS a must have and give me the advantage over the competition.
                            How does it give you an advantage over the competition? They dont know how to solder?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              How does it give you an advantage over the competition? They dont know how to solder?
                              Had one last week. Copper in a slab for a laundromat and couldn't shut of the old 2" gate valve all the way. They called my competition and they told the customer to call me. I saved them a bundle and made a new customer for life. Have had dozens of customers call me over the competition because they've seen what ProPress looks like, they want it and they know I have it.

Comment

nhmaster, why not put together a couple fitting trays of propress that will get used.

i find that couplings, both slip and stop, along with mip adapters, 90's and 45's both cxc and ftg x c.

spend $500 on the fittings that will get used the most, especially when trying to connect to wet lines, and have them in stock with the tools all charged up.

i guarantee you if they have the fittings to use in a difficult situation, they will find it will get the job done.

but having the tools and no fittings is going to be useless.

fittings can easily be purchased online and delivered in a day or so.

the distributor i buy viega from most is 14 miles away. a simple phone call and they ups them to me for the next day.

having 2 shelving units stocked with the popular fittings allows me to have what i need 90% of the time. i only keep 1/2''- 1'' in the truck and up to 4'' in the shop with the larger propress tools.

having no inventory of fittings is like having drain cleaning equipment with no cables or hoses.

sure looks pretty on display, but can't use it on the job.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X