X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ProPress

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    TM you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I'm also entitled to disagree with most everything you've said regarding the ProPress. You've never used one, you said so yourself so I don't think your opinion carries much weight. When you decided to use one on the job, then come back and let us know what you think. I think you will be impressed. I'm not here to sell you on the ProPress, that's not my job and I'm sorry you don't understand my post regarding the laundromat, I did not Press a 2" valve and never said that I did. Besides you completely missed the point. The post was about getting work from the competition. I don't own a 2" press at this time but I do have access to one if I need it from Ferguson. I'm in the market for a new Ridgid 330C with all the bells and whistles, anyone got one for sale? Good luck.
    I totally agree we are entitled to our own opinion. I dont need to use one to know and understand how it works. It presses aka crimps the fitting just like a pex tool does pex rings. The press tool takes longer than my pex hand crimpers but basically does the same thing just with a different material. So I understand how it works. I also understand that in North Carolina you must get permission to use propress.

I dont understand the laundromat post......i asked how propress gave you an advantage over the competition and you site a 2" valve that wouldn't shut off and the "other" plumbign company didn't want the job.........then come to find out you didn't use propress. So no I didn't get its relationship to propress....sounds like the other company just didn't want the job,I cant speculate it was because they didn't have a press tool,because I would ahve jumped right in and propress would not even have entered my thoughts because its not required nor needed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      I totally agree we are entitled to our own opinion. I dont need to use one to know and understand how it works. It presses aka crimps the fitting just like a pex tool does pex rings. The press tool takes longer than my pex hand crimpers but basically does the same thing just with a different material. So I understand how it works. I also understand that in North Carolina you must get permission to use propress.

I dont understand the laundromat post......i asked how propress gave you an advantage over the competition and you site a 2" valve that wouldn't shut off and the "other" plumbign company didn't want the job.........then come to find out you didn't use propress. So no I didn't get its relationship to propress....sounds like the other company just didn't want the job,I cant speculate it was because they didn't have a press tool,because I would ahve jumped right in and propress would not even have entered my thoughts because its not required nor needed.
      Done discussing anything with you.
      Last edited by ironranger; 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM. Reason: like talking to a brick wall

Comment

That is correct, the smaller Rothenberger will not press 2". I don't think I ever said that I pressed 2" pipe did I? You seem to be very fascinated by what I do. Maybe sometime we can have a private chat and I can educate you if you wish. Have a nice day. Pancakes anyone? All done with this one, can see where someone wants to take it, no thanks.
        Here you act like you didn't press the 2" pipe. You never said you pressed it. I assumed you did thats why it was brought up.
        Had one last week. Copper in a slab for a laundromat and couldn't shut of the old 2" gate valve all the way. They called my competition and they told the customer to call me. I saved them a bundle and made a new customer for life. Have had dozens of customers call me over the competition because they've seen what ProPress looks like, they want it and they know I have it.
        Here you say they called your competition and they told the customer to call you. That means they were never even on the job.

You can second guess it all day long but in the end the other company didn't want to do the job. I got the job because of the ProPress. There isn't anything more to it. Got to run, busy day.
        Here you say the other company did not want the job.

I'll attempt to explain it to you once again, I don't know why though. Others got it. The laundromat had a leak in a copper pipe in the slab leading to the bathroom. They were not able to completely shut off the water at the 2" main gate valve. The other company had cut the pipe already. I don't know why the meter valve wasn't used, could be that it wouldn't shut off either. They are about 8 feet under ground here and constantly have problems, I didn't ask why. The other company DID want to do the job but could not solder with the water still flowing. They called me to to use the ProPress, I fixed it. It's done. Do you get it now? WTF and what does it have to do with the topic at hand about the competition?
        I'm not going to argue with you especially now that you admit once again that you've never used the tool. And if you're comparing your hand pex tool to a ProPress tool than you really don't have a clue. No thanks, not interested. I'm done with this thread. Goodbye.

It's still my opinion that ProPress is far superior to soldering. ProPress fitting are stronger, thicker, longer sweeps, are installed using a Mechanical joint. No it's not like a pex crimp, no it's not like a sharkbite etc., not even close. Plumbers that actually use the ProPress stick with the ProPress. Those that have never used it just like to bad mouth it because they don't want to spend a few dollars to make their lives easier and their wallets fatter. Truth, fact, Done. Now instead of attacking others try showing a little love around here!
        Now in your last post you claim they already cut the pipe and the valve would not shut off and that they DID want the job.

I dont know what story to believe....it seems that its evolving after every question.

It is a FACT that a propress joint is not stronger than a brazed or soldered joint. Thats a fact and your not entitled to an opinion otherwise. I brazed joint is stronger than the material itself. Will a propress joint exceed the burst pressure of copper?

The reason the fittings are long sweep is to help prevent cavitation. I was slammed for a ding on some 1/2 copper...and yet the same people are crimping the crap out of copper joints almost making larger sizes look square. But thats ok......its very hypocritical.

ADD> Sharkbites are very similar to propress...they use an o ring to seal the joint....aka sealing element.

Sure the propress will do multiple types of pipe and my hand crimpers will only crimp pex.....but when we are talking about installing 3/8-1" pex......my hand crimpers will blow a propress machine out of the water....propress could not even come close to the speed of a hand crimper and cannot crimp the joint any better.

I dont repipe homes with copper.....I use pex. If i only repiped two homes a year with copper I would solder the joints because it would not justify buying the tool and the expensive fittings. I dont think soldering is all that difficult and it doesn't irritate me to do it. I dont have leaks when i solder. I'm very professional in my methods.
        Last edited by TheMaster; 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Comment

By the way......you say the leaking pipe was in the slab leading to the bathroom. I dont know what size it was.....it really doesn't matter because no press fittings are suppose to be installed under the concrete slab or in the slab.

Isn't that right or do I have that wrong too?

Yeah I would want to call it "over" too if I was you. The more you explain it the more it doesn't add up.

ADD> Now I see you tried to erase the post where you tell on yourself for pressing a fitting in the slab. Too late I had already copied it. Sorry. Post number 122 on this page.
            Last edited by TheMaster; 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Won't be long now.

Comment

Won't be long now.
                Is that your motive for posting info that doesn't make sense? So I can point that out to you and then you can try to flip it around that i'm causing trouble? I didn't make you make those posts.

I just asked you to explain how having a propress gives you an advantage over the competition. You chose to respond with answers that conflicted with each other.

Comment

Is that your motive for posting info that doesn't make sense? So I can point that out to you and then you can try to flip it around that i'm causing trouble? I didn't make you make those posts.

I just asked you to explain how having a propress gives you an advantage over the competition. You chose to respond with answers that conflicted with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Collecting tools can become a sickness if not nipped in the bud.
                    Hey, Hey have you been talking to my girlfriend. My goal is to fill my shops & house with enough tools to make it on "The Hoarders". My doctor says there is no cure for me & it is terminal ( my girlfriend is going to kill me) . Remember he who has the most tools when they die wins.

Comment

How do you figure less headaches? Less time maybe but only on small jobs. Much much much more cost. I don't discourage any of the guys from using the machine. They have all used it a couple of times but nobody is real impressed yet.
                      sigpic

Comment

You Propress guys "sucked" me in already, and don't have to convince me to try it.

I'm the type who will buy an expensive tool, even if it bails me out one time...it was worth it to me. I would still be afraid to use it on my Boiler installs, as I won't be afraid to pick up a torch either. I just think Propress HAS it's place in our field and I will eventually get one. I do like the "new" Rothenberger slim design they came out with, as I think it can get into tighter spots than the Ridgid. I could be wrong, but if pictures do tell a story, the Rothenberger seems to win that one.

Lastly, all of us on this forum will be DEAD by the time Copper ends in our field. Let's please stop acting like it's ending tomorrow.

I'll take anyones wager if they want to belly up to the bar on that one.
                        Last edited by Flux; 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          How do you figure less headaches? Less time maybe but only on small jobs. Much much much more cost. I don't discourage any of the guys from using the machine. They have all used it a couple of times but nobody is real impressed yet.
                          I feel the same way...i'm not bashing it but only saying its not anything thats changing my world. The cost of the material itself and the machine is a killer unless your doing ALOT of pressing. That tool is like a tractor in respect that if your not using it alot your not making any money with it.....better off renting it from a business standpoint.

Comment

I feel the same way...i'm not bashing it but only saying its not anything thats changing my world. The cost of the material itself and the machine is a killer unless your doing ALOT of pressing. That tool is like a tractor in respect that if your not using it alot your not making any money with it.....better off renting it from a business standpoint.
                            You have no idea what you're talking about. You don't have one, you've never used one, your words! I use mine every day, it's hardly a tractor. The cost of the material is not a factor unless you're giving them away. Your opinion carries no weight. It's like you giving your opinion on how the new lamborghini handles, you have no idea and it makes you look silly even trying. After 24 years in this business the ProPress HAS CHANGED MY WORLD.

Comment

It's been fun guys but this argument is crazy. These guys that are bashing the ProPress have no idea what they're missing. The new ProPress tools are lighter and more powerful than ever and I'm buying another one! I seriously could not live or work without one now that I've used them. I will not go back to soldering, it seems so barbaric! LOL
                              Have a great afternoon. Work is done for me, time to play.

Comment

I did not know what a propress was untill I looked it up I thought it had to do with pex,yah you can slap me now,but after watching a vidio of it in action and its cool.
                                Did not know it was copper to copper,and if I was still in the field I would like it a lot.
                                I have been out of the plumbing biz for a while and like seeing new tools that work!

Comment

Working...
                                X