X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProPress

I'm looking into buying a ProPress, but not sure what model to stay away from and what models to look at. I'm a small shop that does most residential remodels as well as light commercial. I'm wanting one for convenience on installs, and because I want to spend some money.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Re: ProPress

Hey Rick, give this poor guy one of yours.
    sigpic

Comment

Yea Rick!!

Comment

What ? Does Rick have extras
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Man, not real sure I'd buy a press for service. They are nice and all, and when they work SWEET. But that's the thing, when they work.

Worked for john for a little over a year, he has a cordless and a corded one and I don't need more then 3 fingers to count the number of times we used it. They are expensive, the fittings are expensive, and I have seen a propress joint leak. Although it was on a 2 inch in a bad spot, it's not guaranteed to not leak. Plus, the tools are so dang big...

Might rent one for a few weeks to see if you really want one. the novelty might just wear off.

Comment

I use mine every day for service for everything. I have never had a leak and I'll never go back to soldering. It's been almost two years now. Never going back.

Comment

are you using it for copper or pex?

This may be one of those tools that caught on in the midwest and west. Hardly anyone around here has one, uses one or can get the fittings.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                Man, not real sure I'd buy a press for service. They are nice and all, and when they work SWEET. But that's the thing, when they work.

Worked for john for a little over a year, he has a cordless and a corded one and I don't need more then 3 fingers to count the number of times we used it. They are expensive, the fittings are expensive, and I have seen a propress joint leak. Although it was on a 2 inch in a bad spot, it's not guaranteed to not leak. Plus, the tools are so dang big...

Might rent one for a few weeks to see if you really want one. the novelty might just wear off.

I've used the Pro Press all the time when I worked for a outfit that did nothing but large commercial. It's nice, but I want one to use it for remodels, not new construction. New Construction I would just sweat the pipe, but on the remodels it would come in handy on the jobs where the water meter bleeds through.

Does anyone know if it is approved for underground?
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

Comment

I own a small press tool by another manufacturer. If you do a significant amount of new or repair commercial then it may come in handy. Otherwise, it is a complete waste of money in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

It is legal for underground but you should check with local inspector first
                    sigpic

Comment

do i have 1

no, i have 9

at least 1 in every model ever made. corded and cordless. 1/2''-4'' with xl and xlc jaws and rings.

if all you want is 1/2''- 1.25'' then an older 100-b is great, battery powered, or the newer 210-b that's l-ion battery and lighter, smaller and better swivel head. plus it already has the 1.25'' jaw set.

if you want all out brute strength that's 1/2''-2'' and then optional 2.5''-4'' you need the larger models. both battery and corded. 320-e, 330-b, 330 -c, corded and ct- 400 corded.

corded is less costly and will work without worrying about dead batteries.

i only keep the smaller 100- b in the truck, but have everything else including fittings up to 4'' at the shop.

fittings are of much higher quality, better sweep and thicker copper. they cost more, but are far superior to cxc fittings.

speed and simplicity are the advantage. show me anybody that can assemble a 1/2''- 4'' fitting in 5 seconds a joint. no sanding, fluxing or soldering. no water running issues. no hitting with a hammer to assemble a fitting. no worries about water safe flux or lead free solder. no leaks ever.

if you're interested, i can part with some spare inventory. plus i rent them out as needed.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I got my 330C last year for a job I knew it would be easier to use then solder... Now I use it all the time. Mine has a cord witch is good most of the time and seems stronger then a fully powered cordless. But sometimes the cord sucks like when I'm doing a backflow outside, I bought an inverter and now plug into my van if needed. As soon as the price comes down on fittings I will never use solder again. If you are doing up to 1 " the 100B would be best for your money.
                        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

What's the advantages of the 330c vs the CT 400? I've used the CT-400 a lot on 3" and 4" installs, but it's been probably 8 years since I used one. I remember it was built like a tank and seemed like it would last forever, but it was heavy as sin. I've also used the 330c or maybe 100b can't remember and it was alot lighter, but not sure if it is built as well. Is the CT-400 even made anymore? I do want to have the option of the swivel head. I would prefer to have a cord over a battery. Corded tools seems to be more reliable.
                          Will Rogers Plumbing
                          Moore, Oklahoma
                          (
                          405) 323-2852

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                            What's the advantages of the 330c vs the CT 400? I've used the CT-400 a lot on 3" and 4" installs, but it's been probably 8 years since I used one. I remember it was built like a tank and seemed like it would last forever, but it was heavy as sin. I've also used the 330c or maybe 100b can't remember and it was alot lighter, but not sure if it is built as well. Is the CT-400 even made anymore? I do want to have the option of the swivel head. I would prefer to have a cord over a battery. Corded tools seems to be more reliable.
                            How much commercial and Multi-Occupancy buildings do you do?
                            Look at what each of the other plumbers do.

Ironranger...I'd get a 100
                            Plumberscrack...I'd get a 330
                            Drtyhands...I'd borrow one from Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              How much commercial and Multi-Occupancy buildings do you do?
                              Look at what each of the other plumbers do.

Ironranger...I'd get a 100
                              Plumberscrack...I'd get a 330
                              Drtyhands...I'd borrow one from Rick.
                              and then I would borrow it from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X