X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a mystery pipe

Inspection camera would tell you what it ties into if anything or if its not into anything where it ends up. If there is no water in it, it must be capped at the other end.

Comment

I have worked with that piping, forget what it is called. i have used it for pulling soda and beer lines in stadiums before. i have also used it in bars for beer lines from a keg room to the bar. not sure that helps you

Comment

Originally posted by cuffer22 View Post
        sounds like a soil gas pipe.....
        I asked both the builder and inspector about the pipe being for radon mitigration. They both told me that radon in a non-issue in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
          I asked both the builder and inspector about the pipe being for radon mitigration. They both told me that radon in a non-issue in my area.
          Why not run a sewer camera down the pipe and see where it goes?

When you come to the end you could also have it located since many cameras come with a locator. It probably won't be free, so the question is how curious are you?

It certainly seems like a "future" for something.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Why not run a sewer camera down the pipe and see where it goes?

When you come to the end you could also have it located since many cameras come with a locator. It probably won't be free, so the question is how curious are you?

It certainly seems like a "future" for something.
            Very curious! What would one expect to pay for this service?

Comment

the green color is the same as SDR pipe
              did you run a little water in it to see if it goes into the sump pit like Rick said

it is the wrong pipe for electrical

it looks like it goes in away from the outside wall

it must be a chase for something
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

That pipe is SDR35

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  That pipe is SDR35
                  thats it
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Well, a small part of this mystery has revealed itself. I crammed my head down next to the pipe, and used a mirror and flashlight. There is a yellow rope down in the pipe, so it looks like it may be a chase for something. the question is - what?!?

I don't want to pull the rope, as it may not be connected to anything, and then the chase is useless as it is far too long for a fish. I can't imagine what it would be for, or even where it goes. It appears to go away from the wall, in the opposite direction of the exposed part.

Any new ideas?

Comment

I would tie the rope off so you don't lose it and send a camera down.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                        I would tie the rope off so you don't lose it and send a camera down.
                        I thought about getting an inspection camera, but it maxs out at like 6 feet. My HDs dont rent the plumber's sea snake/camera unit.

Comment

Sunbelt Rentals, united rentals.....there has to be other places besides HD that you could use.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Future for buried HVAC lines but without seeing the basement layout it's hard to tell. Maybe a conduit for future whole house generator.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Future for buried HVAC lines but without seeing the basement layout it's hard to tell. Maybe a conduit for future whole house generator.
                              That is a great suggestion (generator). The end of the run is next to the electrical panel. It appears the pipe travels away from the basement electrical panel (and garage) and heads for the backyard (180 degrees opposite). The furnace and AC are perpendicular to the pipe, and are located about 30 feet away.

Does this mean the other end of the pipe would be buried underground by the house footings somewhere?

Comment

If you want to put a snake down it you may want to use a fiberglass one like the utility guys use when they run a rod in their underground conduits. It has enough strength to be pushed for a long distance. And if for some reason it comes back up into something electrical like a panel box or transformer pit you wont get zapped. Looking at my old United Rentals catalog they rent 200 and 400 foot push rods. They also have inspection camera's for rent as well.

The other end could come up and be caped / shallow buried under the top soil if it is for a generator. The sparkies could have installed it that way before the basement walls were back filled for future use at the time the excavation was open.

Does a natural gas line come anywhere near where the other end may come out, if so that could be a clue as it may have been roughed in to come up near the line for a natural gas gen set.

Comment

Working...
                                X