X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a mystery pipe

I have been living in a rural area for about 4 years, and am still learning about rural plumbing (clearly i'm not a plumber, though I took a basic course from the local college last year).

Anyway, there is this 4" green pipe embedded in my concrete basement floor. I have no idea what it is for. Its about 8 feet from my sump well, and is capped. There is a small hole drilled in the orange cap. Any ideas? Here is a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	60b5a82465a82b546cb3448a9576adcf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	15319Click image for larger version

Name:	625311351a2b612b412f9136de08a80e.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	15320

Re: a mystery pipe

probably a footing/ french drain.

pour some water down it and see if it ends up in the pit. the pump is used for rain water, correct?

the orange cap is typically a temporary test cap.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The sump pit collects ground water (holes in the bottom of the pit allow water in) and there is a 4" pipe connected there as well. I think that the pipe in the pit connects to the Big O and runs down to the ditch. Is this called a gravity drain system? I assume the sump pump is for back up protection.

Here is a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	35f40b4ad34305d5532cf910d67fa785.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	15322

Where would the "mystery pipe" discharge into the sump pit?

Comment

Place your ear next to the orange cap and have someone flush the toilet. If you can hear the toilet, you will know this pipe is part of the sewer piping.

To me it looks like a clean out with an improper cap.

Isit right next to an interior wall or is that the basement exterior wall?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Hvac line-set chase pipe? Looks like its installed on a 45,thats how its done here. Just a guess.

Comment

I put my ear next to it and flushed, but no sounds. The wall is exterior that it is next to. I am on a septic system, and there are no drains any where neat this pipe (the closest being a 1.5" drain 8 feet overhead). Also, all the other DWV pipes are black ABS (requirement in Canada).

I though maybe a Radon pipe stub, but radon really isnt an issue here in ontario. Also why would they have punched a small hole (anout 1") in the cap?
            Last edited by franklin pug; 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The Master -

Yes the pipe is on an angle, heading to an exterior wall. What is the purpose of the pipe for an HVAC system?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                The Master -

Yes the pipe is on an angle, heading to an exterior wall. What is the purpose of the pipe for an HVAC system?
                Run a line set when one decides to install air cond

Comment

That looks fairly new concrete. I would contact the Build. dept. to see name on plumbing and building permit. Make a phone call or Two,and find out for sure! You may also learn more about Your home.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    That looks fairly new concrete. I would contact the Build. dept. to see name on plumbing and building permit. Make a phone call or Two,and find out for sure! You may also learn more about Your home.
                    Good suggestion. I'll see what I can find out. Would the plumber remeber the job from 6 or so years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                      Good suggestion. I'll see what I can find out. Would the plumber remeber the job from 6 or so years ago?
                      Yes ,and It may have installed by others for a pourpose other than house plumbing !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well I got a hold of the building dept, and they found my plans. The inspector said that the plans were all blueprint and framing, no plumbing or electrical on them. He said I was welcome to come down and see them. He gave me the name of the general contractor, whom I called.

The gerneral contractor told me that he was not involved in the concrete pad or plumbing on this project, but talked to me for about an hour anyways. In the end, the only thing he could come up with is for future electical use. He said the previous owner was into lots of stuff, and may have wanted to run electrical outside for lamp posts, a shop, etc. Seems like overkill though, a 4" pipe. He said his guys did the sump and weeping tile, and we went though some of that - but it didn't really help.

So it remains a mystery. Would an inspection camera help in this scenario? If so, what could I expect to see?

Comment

Is the pipe next to the garage wall? if so it could have been set up for a garage floor drain pipe to come though the wall and drop into the pipe in the floor, then day light outside. Looks to me the pipe in the pics is 4'' sdr 26 and that pipe is not allowed in indoor plumbing.

Comment

sounds like a soil gas pipe.....

Comment

You might want concerning Forty ft involving line. Start with the principle gaps stringing vertically, through the first best golf hole, because of the foot of your racquet and copy.
                              Wilson Racquets
                              Babolat Racquets
                              Head Racquets
                              Prince Racquets

Comment

Working...
                              X