X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewage pit

My basement has a rough in for a new bathroom, and has a sewage well/pit (not currently used). The sewage pit is not being used, or connected to any drains, but sometimes has water in it. Where in the heck is this water coming from? The water eventually evaporates, and then the pit is dry again.

I looked in the pit with a flashlight, but there is nothing draining in there. The bottom is solid plastic, so there is no way ground water is getting in (like a sump pit).

Click image for larger version

Name:	1a6db1eb383b493a16aa0650f8054200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	15321

Re: sewage pit

Are thé fixtures for your bathroom tied into the venting system. If so moisture in your venting system, and rain could be finding it way down the vent system into the drainage. Run a garden hose down the closest vent and see if water ends up in your sump. Just a wild guess hope this helps.

Comment

There are no fixtures; unfinished space.

Comment

If theres √* bathroom roughed in then theres a four inch line to the toilet flange and a four by two wye wet venting the toilet if theres a tub or shower "roughed in" then that will be picked up under slap by another wye, then that two inch line will have two forty five degree fitting sending it vertical with a 2" c/o then a two by 1.5" by 1:5" sanitary t sending the fixture drain ouut of the wall, for your future lavatory then the top run of that tee will go up and tie into the existing venting system. Thats considered a bathroom group 6 fixture units in the national canadian plumbing code. As long as your bathroom is fully roughed in thats most likely your problem.

Comment

There should also be a 4 by 2" wye coming off your main drain to tie that sump into prob ally an orange cap on it also a 3" vent for the sump. They may have ran a 2" vent i run into that alot, whether the sump was there or not the code states you must run a vent into any unfinished basement for future provisions.

Comment

well, i went down and did some more investigating after reading your post. As far as I can tell, there is no connected venting to the sewage pit. I did find the 4" x 2" off the main stack, as you indicated. I also found what I believe is a 2" vent, for future use (but not connected to the rough in).

The rough in for the toilet is a 3" pipe, connected under the slab to the pit, and is about 10" off of the floor. To the right of the future toilet (about 24") is a 1.5 " pipe that is capped and extends about 24" from the floor. To the right of the 1.5" pipe there is a section of the concrete slab cut out, and it is filled with gravel (with a plywood cap screwed on top of it). Under the gravel is probably the connection for the future shower (does that sound right?).

Across the floor there is a 2" pipe (again, about 24" out of the floor) that is capped.

Is there a vent I could be missing somewhere where the water could be getting into the sewage pit?

Either way,when the pit has dried out, is it safe to cap off everything (toilet is the only non-capped pipe) and then seal the pit air tight?

Click image for larger version

Name:	e53308adf6619b75e830a56479a592c5.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	15323Click image for larger version

Name:	3f6e765ea1f31846b57a14632be1bb2b.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	15324
            Last edited by franklin pug; 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM. Reason: added pics

Comment

Okay i see what theyve done so its not ur venting there shouldnt be anything else tied into the sump. I wouldnt advise seeling the sump because then it wont be able to evaporate maybe pull the plywood off the floor where the future tub will be located. Just see if its capped and if they ground sealed under it still shouldnt have water there but might be worth a look, other then that i dont have any other logical answers for you. Capping the toilet makes sense should have been done in the first place. There isnt a floor drain in your basement slab anywhere that could be running into that sump.."guessing not you would have mentioned it" il think about it some more if i get any ideas il let u know

Comment

Working...
              X