X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Roll Groover

Need to roll groove 4" Sch 80 PVC. 20 feet up. Ridgid's only goes to 3". Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Hand Roll Groover

Didn't know you could do that to pvc.

Can someone explain how and why this works? And what application you use it for?

And for crying out loud answer the mans question!!

Comment

I had no idea you could groove pvc either, I guess if you can thread it, theres no reason you can't groove it.

is there no way to glue in this application?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Neat!

But when would a mechanical joint be preferable to glued on PVC, I understand with metallic piping, just not sure on the application with plastic.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

ahh ok. the absorbs vibration part I didn't clue in on.
          I didn't really think about taking it apart. with pvc I'm awefully quick just to slice it open and use a slip coupling. I can see that becoming a problem if it needs to be disassembled very often.

Comment

i would double check with the inspector first.

at 1 time actual grooving/ cutting of the pipe was allowed and legal.

now i believe all that's allowed is to roll the grove, basically the pipe is not cut but rolled and a grove is pushed/ displaced into the pipe.

i believe this was due to the material being over cut and weakening the pipe.

my victaulic roll grover is for copper up to 6''. i believe a different set of rollers can be installed for steel pipe. not too sure about the plastic code on grooving.

let us know what the code dictates on plastic.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
              It can be taken apart and absorbs vibration?

The manufacturer says twice as fast as swet......20% faster than pressed fittings. OH NO! say it cant be. lol
              either the manufacturer or your quote is way way off. someone obviously doesn't own both systems like i do.

how could you say that a victaulic joint is 20% faster than press

do you know how long it takes to roll a grove, check depth and lube and assemble a victaulic joint

a hell of a lot longer than the 5 seconds it takes to press a joint in copper or stainless steel.

please copy and paste the quote you got this from so i could laugh at the fool that wrote it. then if they think they're serious, i'll call them and invite them on to the forum to defend their stupidity.

remember i own and use both systems. please try to prove me wrong.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I sold off my roll groove equipment years ago. We used to use it for sprinkler systems but then the whole insurance / liability thing happened and we moved away from fire suppression systems altogether. The last time it got used before I sold it was piping a tank farm for a local oil company. I have to imagine that cutting a groove in PVC would seriously weaken the pipe at that point and even if you used sch 80 or 120 it's still going to take the pipe out of spec.
                sigpic

Comment

Whoa Rick, you're pretty touchy on the propress topic...

Comment

I have a manually operated roll groover as well for copper and its been a blessing when replacing 2"- 6" leaking valves, devices, copper pipe and fittings.
                    Its a Wheeler Rex. I sent them an email, but haven't heard yet if they have the dies for 4" Sch 80 PVC.
                    Ridgid makes a roll groover that will groove up to 3" Sch 80 PVC, but not 4.

As it stands now, I need to groove 2-4", 2-3", and 2-21/2" Sch 80 PVC lines, in a hotel boiler room that was done completely in plastic,
                    sans the ball valves, and nipples off the tanks and boilers.
                    Trying to repair the numerous leaks is not an option for me or the owners. This will be a total conversion from CPVC to ProPress on a property that is less than two years old. I believe the General and his plumber are on the hook for this job. Their latest attempt to make repairs included ratchet straps and duct tape. Go figure.

The one option I shudder to mention. lest a war break out, will be a Uni-flange and retainers. And now that I think about it. I will use them.

Let the flogging begin.

Comment

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
                        Indeed.

Comment

It wouldn't let me play the videos .But that looks serious
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That's a hell of a machine to shake up some pipe. Would be a sweet job to do that...

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                              Need to roll groove 4" Sch 80 PVC. 20 feet up. Ridgid's only goes to 3".
                              Check out the 975 Combo Groover. It'll do 4" Sch 80. It's an in-place and a power-driven unit (hence the "combo" name). It's a pretty nice unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X