X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water stains on dining room ceiling

Hello there. Just yesterday, my husband noticed two new water stains on the ceiling in our dining room that sits directly below our guest bathroom that is located on the 2nd floor. The water stains are medium sized and yellowish in color, two areas about 6 inches across, but they are both dry. There are also new water stains on the edge of the dining room carpet on the floor against the wall that comes down from where the water stains are. The carpet seems to be a little damp.

Two months ago, my sister in-law moved in with her 2 and ½ year old daughter and have both been using this bathroom. My sister in-law said that they have not had any water accidents in that bathroom, except her daughter stuffed the toilet with toilet paper one time. The toilet did not overflow, and she was able to either pull out, or flush all of the toilet paper down the toilet successfully. We are getting ready to call a plumber, but I was wondering if shoving a bunch of toilet paper down a toilet would cause a major problem?

We just moved into the house and had the house inspected about 4 months ago. This bathroom has never leaked before as far as we know, and everything in the bathroom looks fine, dry, and sealed well. There is an air conditioning/heating vent on the floor of the bathroom right next to the bathtub, but there is dust in the vent and it seems like there has never been water inside of the vent.

Thank-you in advance for any help!

MJ

Re: Water stains on dining room ceiling

These types of leaks are hard to trouble shoot without being there.

Toilet paper overload could have resulted in leakage around the wax ring of the toilet

if there was a partial stoppage. Check whatever fixture is directly above the ceiling stains.

As far as the water on the floor next to the wall, it could be running down from above or it

could be something different all together. If you know a qualified, experienced, and

reputable plumber, by all means call him.

Comment

All second the overflow in the tub and add the following comment.

Does the bathroom have tile floor?

One of the biggest problems when people have someone install a bathroom floor is the failure of the contractor to install a water proof membrane. The house next door to me is going through this very issue. Its a rental. Two years ago the owner, who lives about 90 miles from the house decided between tenants to do some upgrades. Tile in the kitchen, dining and bathroom was the biggey. At the recommendation of some other idiot neighbors he hires some illegal alien contractor who has been known to do work in the area. The house gets done, he gets in a new tenant, who has kids and within six months the downstairs bathroom has water stains on the ceiling. He knows I'm a plumber so he calls me up to look at it. Go through the motions and figure its the water seeping through the grout lines, through the floor and to the drywall ceiling.

Also don't rule out that you might have a pin hole leak in a pipe.

Have you looked inside the vanity at the piping, angle stops etc.... to see if water is leaking underneath?

Comment

A plumber can drill a few small 3/4" holes in the ceiling and put a flexible camera head in the floor cavity. A helper can operate fixtures, flush toilet,fill tub to run in overflow drain ect. This may save ripping down ceiling. I recommend asking neighbors who they trust to service their home. When You hear a name twice,that's Your plumber. Also I recommend You stay away from big National company's. Go Small and local. Good Luck and Please let Us all Know what You find.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

[EDIT] This post is not directly intended to insult anybody's family, I mean it in general towards folks who are careless with water and bathrooms.[/EDIT]

Standing water does not belong on any finished floor surface in a residential home; tile, lino, carpet, hardwood, nothing (excluding a finished floor in a shower, DUH). If tenants are getting water on the floor and it is leaking onto the drywall below, they need to be educated then charged for the damage. Even if the floor was linoleum, water will get to the un caulked baseboard, get into the wall and have a leak that they will say is not their fault. I have seen it land both ways, a legit leak, and idiots splashing significant amounts of water onto the floor and let it stand. I am not a plumber, but I have done customer service and construction management (residential homes) for several years, I have seen what kind of trouble ignorant people will blame on other people.
          Last edited by masterbeavis; 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            A plumber can drill a few small 3/4" holes in the ceiling and put a flexible camera head in the floor cavity. A helper can operate fixtures, flush toilet,fill tub to run in overflow drain ect. This may save ripping down ceiling. I recommend asking neighbors who they trust to service their home. When You hear a name twice,that's Your plumber. Also I recommend You stay away from big National company's. Go Small and local. Good Luck and Please let Us all Know what You find.
            Use a thermal imager & you don't have to drill any holes. Also, it is easier to find the leak.

Comment

Thanks, Great idea ! Wish I had one. Depending on leak, some ceiling may have to come down
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                Use a thermal imager & you don't have to drill any holes. Also, it is easier to find the leak.
                heh, how many folks carry around thermal imagers? It would be a nice tool to have for sure.

Originally posted by toolaholic
                Thanks, Great idea ! Wish I had one. Depending on leak, some ceiling may have to come down
                I hated having to take down parts of ceilings. It never seemed to fail that a customer would notice that the patched Sheetrock looked different in just the right light, and having to argue with the patch guy (as the jobsite superintendant) that he needed to do it again and NAIL the repair, OR have to float the entire ceiling. The plumbers HATED having to pay for an entire ceiling float, and the homeowner would wonder what kind of idiots built their homes. (residential new construction warranty repair) Nowadays when I do ceiling patches, I get questioned as to why I float a few feet past a repair bigger than a few inches... Its because I don't want you to know where my patch is! Its more work, but it was like I was never there....
                Last edited by masterbeavis; 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                X