X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporadic standpipe backup.

This has been an issue for about a year now but has gotten worse these last two wks. It started out w/ very sporadic standpipe backup when washing machine was running. Ex: after a backup we wouldnt see another for 2 months then it would start again for a week straight then go away for a month etc. I have used a clog buster (several occasions) and snake to try an clear the pipe but they didnt work. The snake would only go so far until it felt like I would have to force it in further,which i didnt want to do. Well now it has started backing up in the kitchen sinks and water stands at the bottom of the washer after a cycle. Funny thing is when i turn on the garbage disposal the water drains fairly quick but the other sink starts to bubble the water it has in it. The dishwasher water also backs up in the sinks but not as much. Im guessing something is going on down stream but I have done all I know to do. Any ideas?
    Last edited by neato0z; 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM.

Re: Sporadic standpipe backup.

Ya. Call a plumber.
    Not being a ***, but that's what you need.

As far as water standing in the bottom of the washer after a cycle, that souds like a appliance issue to me. Because no matter if the plumbing is stopped up or not, those babys will empty water wherever. Weather it be the drain, or the floor.

Comment

The snake will only go so far because it is probably hitting the clog. Work it in a little harder.

There's a stoppage downstream. You may need a bigger cable, depending on what you're using now.

Going through a clean out or roof vent will possibly allow you to use a bigger head.

If you have crossed your confidence threshold, then it's time for a pro.

Comment

lots of home layouts put the laundry and kitchen in the same area. a kitchen sink is by far the worst fixture in the home when it comes to properly cleaning a line and the one that's abused the most. a laundry requires a 2'' waste line and between the kitchen grease and sludge, that 2'' line is choked down to an 1''- 1.25''.

a proper commercial snake and cutter and or a jetter will clean the laundry soap and lint along with the grease and grime from kitchen.

a kitchen sink without a proper cleanout is never fun. a laundry is not an issue as i can still get a 5/8'' sectional cable down a 2'' or 1.5'' trap if need be. but a kitchen with a disposal requires a cleanout or a removing the trap to access the waste and then adding water to help flush.

try snaking the kitchen and laundry line. run water as need to help flush out th line. all else fails, call in a pro and make sure they use the proper cable and cutters or jetter.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the info rick,jim. I know about the roof vent but Im unsure of what 'cleanout' is refering to. Total novice I am. Also are there any good chemicals out there that would get rid of the sludge buildup?
          Last edited by neato0z; 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM.

Comment

It sounds like you will need a professional drain cleaner or a plumber for the clog. The dishwasher issue is appliance related, most likely a pump problem shutting off too soon or wearing out. Most all dishwashers have a built-in mechanical non-return valve on the discharge side to prevent waste water from flowing back into the dishwasher.

Comment

Sounds familiar? Hmmmm, I found the same thing, look at my post above yours! I wonder how ya found that? "A built-in mechanical non-return valve on the discharge side to prevent waste water from flowing back into the dishwasher."

I don't know but I would assume most all have some kind of check valve, don't you think? Also don't most all dishwashers have the discharge hose attached near the top of the dishwasher anyway? I'm pretty sure they do. I could see a garbage disposer though pushing water back, who knows.

Funny!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                Have you ever found a dishwasher hose that didn't have the loop to the bottom of the countertop and the drain was slow or backed up? What does the water do when the dishwasher pump turns off? Think it might run back down the hose into the dishwasher??? How about when they run water in the K-sink and it starts to back up....think it might run back down the hose and enter the dishwasher?

I'm just trying to learn.
                Assumed he was talking about the washing machine, since he mentiond dish washer after that. And after re-reading the post, hard to say

but yes, you're right I have seen plenty of DISH washers with water standing in them.

Comment

99% of my customers dishwasher have a counter top air gap installed. a high loop is not allowed by our code. only the fancy high end european dishwasher can get away without an air gap out here. new construction for me was 100% air gaps. plus no extending the factory hose.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

When I was in Ca. I did hundreds of air gap calls for dishwashers. I hated those calls. Remove the 7/8 hose from the air gap and G/D, clean it out, unkink it etc..,,, Now up here in the sticks people don't have them, they've never heard of them. Funny how things are so different in different places.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      When I was in Ca. I did hundreds of air gap calls for dishwashers. I hated those calls. Remove the 7/8 hose from the air gap and G/D, clean it out, unkink it etc..,,, Now up here in the sticks people don't have them, they've never heard of them. Funny how things are so different in different places.
                      Yes things are different. I never installed any Earth Quake
                      Hardware in Mass. Of course Now I might!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Yes things are different. I never installed any Earth Quake
                        Hardware in Mass. Of course Now I might!

In Marin County for sure! I was there in the 89 quake and was picking up tipped over W/H's for days.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          In Marin County for sure! I was there in the 89 quake and was picking up tipped over W/H's for days.
                          Marin county, land of Quakes and hill slides." Your house may come down the hill to greet You some afternoon"
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                          X