Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Bathroom Remodel Questions Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bathroom Remodel Questions

    I've just started redoing a bathroom in a ranch home over a crawl space. I'm going to expand the room into an adjacent mud room, replace the tub with a shower, enlarge the vanity and move the toilet.

    Moving the toilet will entail fitting a new toilet (closet) flange and re-routing the piping in the crawl space. In shopping for the flange, I see the words
    Solvent welds into 4" or over 3" Schedule 40 pipe.
    My question is what does solvent welds mean? Is it just another term for pvc cement?

    Thanks for any help you can give and I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

  • #2
    Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

    Solvent weld just means Primer/Glue PVC or ABS Glue connection.


    J.C.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

      Thank you JC.

      Is there any advantage of ABS vs PVC and are the two interchangeable?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

        Originally posted by PhilC View Post
        Thank you JC.

        Is there any advantage of ABS vs PVC and are the two interchangeable?
        Some like PVC over ABS and some like ABS over PVC, and no they are not interchangeable , unless you use threaded adapters or no hub adapters and a no-hub coupling to join the two.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

          Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Solvent weld just means Primer/Glue PVC or ABS Glue connection.


          J.C.
          That explains why I didn't get a spark when I hooked my welder up to the PVC drain. Thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

            Air Admittance Valves?

            In the crawl space and running horizontally off the main stack, I see two pipes, about 2 ft. long with vented caps that seem to be air admittance valves. Being that I have a vent stack going up thru the roof, what would the function of these be? I'm thinking that AAV's are usually installed up with the fixture, before the p-trap where there is no outside venting?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              Some like PVC over ABS and some like ABS over PVC, and no they are not interchangeable , unless you use threaded adapters or no hub adapters and a no-hub coupling to join the two.
              Or all purpose glue...
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

                Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                Thank you JC.

                Is there any advantage of ABS vs PVC and are the two interchangeable?
                You will most likely have a hard time finding PVC in Jersey....mostly ABS.

                Here in Pa, you won't find ABS for sale anywhere that I know of.

                I prefer PVC.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

                  Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                  Air Admittance Valves?

                  In the crawl space and running horizontally off the main stack, I see two pipes, about 2 ft. long with vented caps that seem to be air admittance valves. Being that I have a vent stack going up thru the roof, what would the function of these be? I'm thinking that AAV's are usually installed up with the fixture, before the p-trap where there is no outside venting?

                  Just wondering if anyone can answer this question? Also, if there is a reason to use cheater vents, wouldn't they be vertical with the aav above the trap for that fixture?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bathroom Remodel Questions

                    Don't know why they would use them in the particular instance at your place.(if you post a pic we could tell maybe) Here, yes if you come outta the wall for a waste line we generally put a san. tee on it's back with atleast 4" of pipe then the studor vent , then out the end catch the trap..done.This is only if there in no vent anywhwere to tie into or run out on it's own.
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X