Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDR 26 X Clay Tile Pipe no-shear coupling?

When making sewer repairs, the most common material to use here is SDR 26 gasketed sewer pipe (the green variety, not the blue that is used for water).

Most of my repairs involve Clay Tile Pipe X PVC/CI no-shear shielded mission couplings that are made to receive schedule 40 PVC or service weight/no hub cast iron. When using SDR 26 with these couplings the pipe fits loosely and often is not 100% water-tight even after tightening up the coupling.

None of the supply houses in my area know of a no-shear coupling that is made for SDR 26. They all tell me to just use the Schedule 40 coupling.

So my question: Is there a no-shear made that is CLAY X SDR 26, or is there a bushing or some other type of fitting that can be used? Would an SDR 26 coupling make up the difference (coupling with gasket or solvent welded onto the SDR 26 and then fit the coupling into the schedule 40)?

Am I being too obsessive compulsive?

thoughts? comments?

Re: SDR 26 X Clay Tile Pipe no-shear coupling?

when i need to adapt to sdr35, i will glue on a coupling and then band to that.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Go to Keift Brothers, ask for the Atlas couplings, they are much better fitting than the Mission Brand couplings. There are a couple others that work really well, just can not recall the name. There is one Called Romac but the cost is up there. The Romac coupling can compress from 6.05" to 6.30" where the Mission Brand which is 6.45" Here is their catalog page. http://www.romac.com/2006-Catalog/PD.../501-sewer.pdf
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That Romac looks like it's built to take a lickin' without no drippin'. It looks like some old dresser coupling that we used to have at the old shop....but BIGGER!

Thanks for the tip Ron!

Comment

Might try a SDR 35 to sch 40 bushing then clay to sch 40 fernco with a shear band
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Might try a SDR 35 to sch 40 bushing then clay to sch 40 fernco with a shear band
            I was just remembering the Clean Check Back Water Valve I bought came with SDR to SCH pipe bushing. Swade I bet Keift will have the bushings since they also sell the Clean Check.

Comment

Swade, here is a SCH 40 to SDR adapter.

Attached Files

Comment

And put some lime around the coupler to repel roots in the future.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Swade, here is a SCH 40 to SDR adapter.

Thanks Ron,

I was at Harlem Supply in Lyons the other day and they had a couple so I grabbed one. I'm still going to stop by Keift Bros. and check out their couplings too. I have clay outside area drain that I need to replace the trap on it for Monday.

Comment

Working...
                  X