WaterSurgeon, Speedbump, NH, Anyone-Water Treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WaterSurgeon, Speedbump, NH, Anyone-Water Treatment

Do you mean to say that they are using the carbon filter as the iron filter? That wouldn't be a good idea if they are. I still don't see the need for a softener.
    (The < symbol is how it is listed on the report. So that is how I listed it here.)
    Just means less than.
    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
      Do you mean to say that they are using the carbon filter as the iron filter? That wouldn't be a good idea if they are. I still don't see the need for a softener.
      Just means less than.
      I honestly don't know what to tell you on the carbon filter question. In what order would you install the components I have listed in post 27?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

1-Chemical Feed Pump

1-50lb. Soda Ash (Starter for system-Consumable that must be replaced periodically.)

1-Bleach (Non-Specific Mixture/Quantity Yet-Consumable that must be replaced periodically.)

1-Chemical Solution Tank

1-120 Gallon Retention Tank with bypass

1-24,000 Grain Carbon Filter

1-24,000 Grain Iron Softener-3 bags Iron Pellets (Starter for system-Consumable that must be replaced periodically.)
        I'm not sure, because I'm not sure what they are recommending. I'm confused by the feed pump and the soda ash/bleach thing. I understand the solution tank and retention tank, but am not sure what other than to remove chlorine the carbon filter is for. The last thing is the 24,000 Grain Iron Softener. I'm not sure what that is. I'm with NHMaster in that 32,000 grain units would be the minimal size I would use. Especially with that much iron.

Comment

Would chlorination help treat other types of iron rather than bacterial iron? Would the soda ash be needed to work with it?

At this point, with all of the confliction, I would dump this project if these people weren't at their wits end.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Chlorine air and potassium permangenate will oxidize ferrous iron. In other words farrous iron is clear water iron and unless oxidized, can run straight through a filter. So yes the chlorine could help remove the iron if it's ferrous. If it's non-ferrous the water will be yellow coming out of the faucet.

I really don't know what to tell you because I have never worked with soda ash. If it were my water, I would raise the PH with a calcite filter then simply remove the iron with an iron filter. The iron filter can use potassium permangenate or chlorine. You could add a softener behind the iron filter to catch any iron that may sneak through and the calcite filter will raise the hardness, so the softener would be a plus.

Comment

Spoke to Kyle at Lancaster. Very helpful. (At least to my ignorant self). He's explaining to me that the chlorine/soda ash injection is being used as the iron treatment.

Soda ash/chlorine iron treatment into...
              Settling/holding tank into...
              Carbon filter to remove chlorine into...
              Iron water softener as a final to remove any trace iron that may be left and/or hardness into...

House.

J.C.

Comment

Settling/holding tank into
                I'm not sure what a holding settling tank is. It sounds like an un-pressurized tank. If so, your going to need another pump, tank, switch etc. I'm still not sure what they are doing. Having never used soda ash is probably the main reason. I'm not sure how it works.

Comment

My understanding is that it is a closed & pressurized settling tank.

J.C.

Comment

Now my concern is pressure. Recommendations for a good cycle stop valve and switch?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I'de like to see a picture of this tank.

As for constant pressure valves, do they have a submersible pump or jet pump. If jet, a valve probably isn't necessary. If it's a sub, I would recommend the 1" brass adjustable valve on my website. You can see it here.

Comment

Thanks. Submersible. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. If it's necessary, I'll probably get it from you.

Again, thanks.

J.C.

Comment

The tank is labeled on my end as an RT120B.

120 Gallon Retention Tank with bypass.

J.C.

Comment

That would be where the ash and chlorine do their thing with the iron. It needs a certain amount of time to make it all happen. I'm just not sure what they are trapping the iron with. Sounds like the carbon filter. You might wanna ask them.

Comment

It's a pressurized retention tank. I assume it has a backwashing head attached. it is used as a settling tank to give the iron time to precipitate out and settle.
                              sigpic

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but is going after better water an option?
                                I'm thinking of the long term costs to maintain this system that it might
                                balance out to drill a new well which I know is an expensive proposition
                                but hey, what is being proposed will chew on their wallet year after year
                                with no end in sight.
                                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                                X