Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WaterSurgeon, Speedbump, NH, Anyone-Water Treatment

Wondering about recommendations. Person has:

Single family home. 4 people. Well producing 10gpm. 100' deep.

Test Results:

Iron= 6.2 mg/l
    PH= 6.4 mg/l
    Manganese= .04 mg/l
    Calcium= 10 mg/l
    Magnesium= 5 mg/l
    Total Alkalinity= 53 mg/l
    Total Hardness= 46 mg/l

Orangey water. NO bacterial iron present.

Any recommendations to clear it up? Thanks.

J.C.

Re: WaterSurgeon, Speedbump, NH, Anyone-Water Treatment

Bump a time or two.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

i would if i could, but i can't so i won't

hey, culligan man

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Wow, that is some problem water. Hardness is enough that they would need a dual tank unit to keep up with backwashing more than once a day. Get stock in Morton Salt prior to installation. Low PH iron is much harder to remove with an iron filter, so a neutralizer would be needed. 6 parts of iron is a bunch also. It is rare I see iron that high.

So my recommendation would be an the Neutralizer, Iron Filter with Potassium Feeder, then the Softener. Fleck makes a great head for doing the switch between tanks. Can't remember the Model # though. I have only had to use a couple of them over the years.

Most of the time, low PH water comes from a shallow source. Is it possible they have an old casing that has a hole in it? Or is this a new well?
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I believe the house and well is less than 10 years old. Thanks for your recommendations.

J.C.

Comment

Wow, if they have been in there for 10 years; imagine what the inside of their plumbing must look like.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                Wow, that is some problem water. Hardness is enough that they would need a dual tank unit to keep up with backwashing more than once a day. Get stock in Morton Salt prior to installation. Low PH iron is much harder to remove with an iron filter, so a neutralizer would be needed. 6 parts of iron is a bunch also. It is rare I see iron that high.

So my recommendation would be an the Neutralizer, Iron Filter with Potassium Feeder, then the Softener. Fleck makes a great head for doing the switch between tanks. Can't remember the Model # though. I have only had to use a couple of them over the years.

Most of the time, low PH water comes from a shallow source. Is it possible they have an old casing that has a hole in it? Or is this a new well?
                My local dealer handles Lancaster. I'm gonna' submit the results to them as well to see what they come up with. But I wanted to get some other water pros opinions as Lancaster can make a mistake.

There first recommendation was a treatment system for iron bacteria. But they did not do any kind of test for iron bacteria.

A test by the County/State has a specific page & test for iron bacteria stating "none present".

J.C.

Comment

A test by the County/State has a specific page & test for iron bacteria stating "none present".
                  If the test was negative, that takes care of that. If they did have iron bacteria, the toilet tanks would have a 1/2" of slime on the inside.

The only remedy for Iron Bacteria is Chlorine. Many times, you can hyper chlorinate the well and make it go away. If not, a chlorinator is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                    If the test was negative, that takes care of that. If they did have iron bacteria, the toilet tanks would have a 1/2" of slime on the inside.

The only remedy for Iron Bacteria is Chlorine. Many times, you can hyper chlorinate the well and make it go away. If not, a chlorinator is installed.
                    That's what I was getting in position to do. Had the materials list, electrician lined up, everything. Pulling the trigger on it the next day when I was told that "Lancaster does not test for iron bacteria..."

Well why in the heck are they recommending for me to install chlorinators, holding tanks, large carbon filters etc. without KNOWING???

So I basically pleaded with the owners to have the County/State test for iron bacteria....and they found none.

J.C.

Comment

You da man. Beats the heck out of putting in a bunch of stuff they don't even need. Is Lancaster a wholesale distributor or the manufacturer? I have heard of them. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they make the units Sears sells. I'm not real keen on those.

Isn't there any filtration Distributors in your area. You might want to do a Google search in your area. They usually have someone working at these places that is sharp on recommending the correct equipment the first time.

Comment

Lancaster Information.

Lancaster Pumps - Water Treatment - Water Purification - Commercial - Residential - Lancaster, PA

J.C.

Comment

Did you deal with Gary at Lancaster? Thats who I usually deal with .

Comment

Lancaster Information.

Lancaster Pumps - Water Treatment - Water Purification - Commercial - Residential - Lancaster, PA
                            I have heard of these guys, but I didn't know they had a pump line. They must not cover the entire US. They weren't a player in Michigan when I lived there nor are they a player here in Florida. I wonder how many States they do cover?

Comment

Sorry I did not see this post until today, JC.

Who did the initial testing to come up with the results you posted. State/County, Independent Lab, or a sales rep for a water treatment company? Regarding the Iron, what type of iron is it? example:

Five basic types of potable Iron:
                              1. Sequestered Iron
                              2. Heme iron - Iron Found in organics
                              3. Iron Bacteria
                              4. Ferric Iron - Red water iron
                              5. Ferrous Iron - Clear water Iron
                              The iron concentrations are what is alarming, and not knowing what type of Iron it is makes it hard to specify the type of treatment.

KDF85, sounds like a good canidate if the concentration levels are as high as you posted.

My recommendation is to find an independent lab that specializes in well water testing, generally one that is certified in your state to perform and certify the testing. The cost is roughly around 250-400, and will provide a complete listing of all contaminants.
                              If you have more detailed questions PM me.

Additional questions on the house.

What is the fixture count on the house? How many tubs? Do they have a large jacuzzi or roman style tub in the master? Standard shower in the master or custom with multiple heads, etc.. Flow restrictors present in the shower heads or have they been removed?

Is the iron issue a problem in the house only or is it a problem with the landscape, ie: stained concrete walkways, driveway, etc.... Issues with iron fouled landscaping?

If the iron is an issue with the landscaping, what are the gpm usage for landscape, and daily water consumption that would need to be treated?
                              Last edited by Watersurgeon; 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X