X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Vent Question

I had started a thread about this, but now have a pic to show.
    I'm redoing a master bath, which backs up to a second full bath and they share the main stack.

My question is about what appears to be a horizontal vent( 2" abs), coming off the main stack and branching into two outlets, which appear to be some type of vent cap?

I just see this now, having opened up the wall and it doesn't appear to be anything functional, like an in line vent.

Do you think it's ok to cap it off?

Re: Bathroom Vent Question

I'm not even a plumber and I can tell ya, that's a mess! Pvc couplings and abs pipe... yuck!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      I'm not even a plumber and I can tell ya, that's a mess! Pvc couplings and abs pipe... yuck!
      I noticed that too, but funny thing, the house was built in the 70's and all the connections have held up. Maybe they used Crazy Glue back then.

Comment

If the main stack goes through the roof used as a vent then I see no problem with cutting and capping the smaller drain if it's doing nothing. Could it have gone to an old sink or something else in the past? Will you maybe need it in the future? Is it a drain? I can't tell very good from the picture but the Tee looks funny, like a vent tee on it's side? I would cut it off close to the stack but leaving enough pipe sticking out for future use if needed.

Comment

that kind of looks like a trap adapter with the plastic plug left in it. maybe it was roughed for a tub that got deleted?
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

If you cut a pipe out, I would leavenough to connect another pipe if you find a need to use it in the future.
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

The bathtub in the other bathroom had some leakage issues from the drain and the waste piping was a mess of mixed metal, PVC & ABS piping. So I re-did it in ABS and routed into this piping. The tub drains well now and no more leaks.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Comment

From the picture you have posted in this topic, I can say that it would be your best option to call a plumber and to get things done in your bathroom. I have seen worst scenario than this, but a good plumber can easily handle it.
                plumbing phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by plumberpnx View Post
                  From the picture you have posted in this topic, I can say that it would be your best option to call a plumber and to get things done in your bathroom. I have seen worst scenario than this, but a good plumber can easily handle it.
                  I started a thread about this about a year ago, concerning what plumbers charge https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t36238/

I converted my plumbing system to Pex and will try to educate myself and handle whatever needs to be done. As I said, I remedied the issue in this case and everything is working fine and I didn't have to pay someone $500 to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                    I started a thread about this about a year ago, concerning what plumbers charge https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t36238/

I converted my plumbing system to Pex and will try to educate myself and handle whatever needs to be done. As I said, I remedied the issue in this case and everything is working fine and I didn't have to pay someone $500 to do it.
                    Our hats are off to you sir. Save a little even if it is right or wrong...

Comment

i dont charge enough but im learning plus im busy and making a living, ps im insured cerified licenced and do not have an add in the yellow pages. Ps sharkbittes arent legal to be covered up here but you can bury them in the ground go figure.... Id replace all i can see in your pic it looks like some one added a bathtub to a part of the venting system and forgot a trap probally a homeowner or overpayed illegal.

Comment

Ps feild bent hard copper is a no no id sharkbite some pex if i was a diy account or lawyer. And duct tape should not be in a conceiled location.

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                          Our hats are off to you sir. Save a little even if it is right or wrong...
                          ..or perhaps pay a lot and it may be right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                            Ps feild bent hard copper is a no no id sharkbite some pex if i was a diy account or lawyer. And duct tape should not be in a conceiled location.
                            Did you mean "field bent"? Probably done by the licensed plumber contracted during the original construction in the 70's and subsequently passed by the Building Inspector, as was all that piping that you see. Anyway copper's all been removed and changed to pex.

The duct tape is mine, just there temporarily to cover toilet connection to main stack, toilet being moved with 14" rough in, to avoid butchering of floor joist as done by previous plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                              I had started a thread about this, but now have a pic to show.
                              I'm redoing a master bath, which backs up to a second full bath and they share the main stack. i dont charge enough but im learning plus im busy and making a living, ps im insured cerified licenced and do not have an add in the yellow pages. Ps sharkbittes arent legal to be covered up here but you can bury them in the ground go figure.... Id replace all i can see in your pic it looks like some one added a bathtub to a part of the venting system and forgot a trap probally a homeowner or overpayed illegal.

My question is about what appears to be a horizontal vent( 2" abs), coming off the main stack and branching into two outlets, which appear to be some type of vent cap?

I just see this now, having opened up the wall San Diego Propane delivery and it doesn't appear to be anything functional, like an in line vent.

Do you think it's ok to cap it off?

I would definitely recommend you have a professional take a better look at that. Best of luck in this situation man.
                              Last edited by Socal John; 12-09-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X