X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain for icemaker?

I am installing an under the cabinet ice maker in my kitchen. I removed an old trash compactor that was inoperable and am reusing the space. I have the water line run through the cabinets from a shut off under the sink. My question is about the drain. I was planning on using a clear flexible 7/8" OD vinyl tubing down through the floor and out through the band joist and dumping into a flower bed. I will leave a loop in the tubing to act as a trap so that no insects crawl back into the ice maker. Is this acceptable or must I plumb this drain into my sewer? It would not be very hard to connect to a sewer drain line but I figured why waste potable water (melted ice) when it can be used for irrigation of the flower bed.

Re: Drain for icemaker?

those pump out a lot more than melted ice water. plus i don't know about your weather/ freezing in s.c.

the way we do it is to plumb it just like a dishwasher via an air gap into the sink with a wye branch tailpiece from the basket strainer. the disposal branch is already used by the dishwasher.

they do make a special airgap that has 2- 5/8'' in and 1 7/8'' out, but i would keep it separate and dump in into a second airgap, unless you don't have a way to drill another hole in the sink.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
      Thanks for the response. My ice maker does not have a pump (gravity drain only) so I could not connect like a dishwasher. If I must drain to the sewer my only option is a trap and an air gap in the crawl space.

Freezing is not a concern in my area of SC. So my question is: is my plan code compliant or is my only option a sewer drain?

Comment

without a pump, then you have no choice other than a condensate pump to pump it up and out, or treat it like an air conditioning condensate line. of course an indirect waste into a floor sink is the way it's done commercially.

you could try the outside condensate, but you'll have a lot of water during the defrost cycle. i would use a condensate pump and dump it back into the waste or far from the house foundation.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

everytime i've installed one of those ice machines I just rough a floor drain in right under it towards the back for the drain hose to hang over. no gap at the sink at all.
          I'm not entirely sure about roughing it in to drain to the flowers, hoping someone with more greywater experience can chime in.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Probably ain't code, but I say chunk it in the flower bed and keep the government out of it.

J.C.

Comment

Not sure on codes in S.C. but here you can legally run it to your flower bed. It is actually not considered grey water because all it will be is melted ice which is potable water. But Id run it out of a 3/4 pvc line with a bell reducer on it at the ice maker so it had a indirect waste and line was not tied strait to the icemaker.

Comment

Working...
              X