Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zone valvELECTRIC MOTOR - is what I meant

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
    I am sorry but it is irresponsible to recommend a device to be used for gas service that is not rated for that purpose. Can you image the insurance company's reaction if there were a problem. "Sorry but we are not covering your house being destroyed in this explosion because it is totally your fault."
    The house would not explode.
    But if the valve failed to turn off the gas to the range if we left something cooking, that would be a problem.

I will have to get an old zone valve motor and see if it has enough torque to turn off the gas valve.
    I doubt it.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: Zone valve?

The zone valve would do it, usually appliance gas is under 1/2 a psi. but I couldn't answer if they are actually rated for gas. I'm thinking no.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      Could a hot water heating system ZONE VALVE be powerful enough to turn off a gas valve in the cabinet under the stove?
      I recall thathe zone valves also had an electrical contact which could be used to illuminate a GREEN lamp indicating thathe valve is closed.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        The zone valve would do it, usually appliance gas is under 1/2 a psi. but I couldn't answer if they are actually rated for gas. I'm thinking no.
        I would like to try a zone valve MOTOR to see if its torque would benough to turn the gas valve off.
        You are likely correcthat the zone valve is not approved for gas. It also may corrode.

Comment

ahh, sorry, I missed that part. Check this out instead

I would like to try a zone valve MOTOR to see if its torque would benough to turn the gas valve off.
          You are likely correcthat the zone valve is not approved for gas. It also may corrode.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Re: Electric gas valve which can shut off gasupply to a cooktop?

I am a voldumbteer emergency medical courier.
            Youqing, (wife) and I were called to transport blood, red lights and siren, to a hospital for a teen mother giving birth bleeding out in surgery. (They said, "Hurry!".)
            Just now saw your post. Sorry.

Yes. A hospital may call at any time requesting something (blood or components, surgical instruments, emergency drugs, antivenins, etc.) rushed to them red lights and siren.
            Often Youqing is cooking.
            We hurry to close windows, blinds, put parrot in his cage, turn OFF garden hose, if returning home after dark - turn ON porch light and light in front room, turn ON radio,
            turn OFF clothes-washer, get dressed, close and lock doors.
            Often I am dirty: mowing, changing oil, in the garage, must unplug soldering iron, clean-up while putting on clean uniform, etc., etc.
            In all the haste, my wife wonders if she turned the stoves off!!

Flipping a switch athe door to the garage would ensure thathe kitchen gastove is OFF and also an electric flatop in thenclosed back porch where she cooks smelly foods is OFF.
            In case we must leave, we bake using only the oven Time Bake function.

After we left, Youqing questioned whether Los Angeles Propane delivery in her haste she had turned off what was cooking on the gas range.

Is there an electric gas valve which could shut off the gasupply to the range?

Athe laundryroom door exiting to the garage, I would install a wall light switch.
            We would flip the switch off and need not worry.

Thank you.
            I just want to understand the reasoning for this installment?

Is it so you can immediately turn the gas cooker off in case of an emergency?
            Last edited by Socal John; 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

To do what you want Robert, you want an Asco normally closed solenoid gas valve. These can be 24volt or 110volt acuated. IMO Nothing more and nothing less will do the job correctly.

Comment

Here is one for $65 right now.

ASCO SOLENOID VALVE AIR/INERT GAS, WATER,LT. OIL 1/2" | eBay

Comment

Thank you.
                  In one of the valve's photos, why is there an arrow pointing IN where the female threaded gas pipe reads OUT?
                  What abouthat next valve for $10.95 !
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-06-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Chinese fire drill...

Originally posted by Socal John View Post
                    ...Is it so you can immediately turn the gas cooker off in case of an emergency?
                    Just now saw your post. Sorry.

Yes. A hospital may call at any time requesting something (blood or components, surgical instruments, emergency drugs, antivenins, etc.) rushed to them red lights and siren.
                    Often Youqing is cooking.
                    We hurry to close windows, blinds, put parrot in his cage, turn OFF garden hose, if returning home after dark - turn ON porch light and light in front room, turn ON radio,
                    turn OFF clothes-washer, get dressed, close and lock doors.
                    Often I am dirty: mowing, changing oil, in the garage, must unplug soldering iron, clean-up while putting on clean uniform, etc., etc.
                    In all the haste, my wife wonders if she turned the stoves off!!

Flipping a switch athe door to the garage would ensure thathe kitchen gastove is OFF and also an electric flatop in thenclosed back porch where she cooks smelly foods is OFF.
                    In case we must leave, we bake using only the oven Time Bake function.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X