Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric gas valve which can shut off gasupply to a cooktop?

I am a voldumbteer emergency medical courier.
    Youqing, (wife) and I were called to transport blood, red lights and siren, to a hospital for a teen mother giving birth bleeding out in surgery. (They said, "Hurry!".)

After we left, Youqing questioned whether in her haste she had turned off what was cooking on the gas range.

Is there an electric gas valve which could shut off the gasupply to the range?

Athe laundryroom door exiting to the garage, I would install a wall light switch.
    We would flip the switch off and need not worry.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 09-24-2011, 03:00 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Electric gas valve which can shut off gasupply to a cooktop?

What if you forget to turn off the switch?

Comment

Kiddie makes them in varios pipe sizes.

Follow this link

http://www.kiddefiresystems.com/utcf...-023_print.pdf

Comment

What do the Guys at the fire house have ???
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
          What if you forget to turn off the switch?
          The switch would be right next to the door staring us in the face.

One time I was outside mowing and another time under my vehicle changing oil.
          Youqing answers cell phone call from the hospital.
          While I am putting the mower away, cleaning up and changing into clean medical clothes, she is closing all the windows, locking doors, locking parrot in his cage, changing her clothes, etc.
          Such distractions can be a problem.
          The pilot light athe switch at the door would be staring everyone in the face as they leave - including her son who once lefthe stove on andeparted for school.

Comment

I cannot afford a professional system as linked above.
            The gas range is electric ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              What do the Guys at the fire house have ???
              Firemen have left stoves on and returned to their quarters with food smoking.
              Some fire stations have systems which turn on lights and turn off the stove and oven when they are "toned out".
              I made a circuit which turns on red lights (red keeps eyes adjusted to the dark) when the cell phone rings. A clap of my hands will do the same.

Comment

Ask the Wife if You could hire a live in, cute Lil Blond, to assist You.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Ask the Wife if You could hire a live in, cute Lil Blond, to assist You.
                  Can't afford one.

Could I make a furnace valve work - if it could flow the amount of gas necessary for proper operation?
                  I would need to defeathe.rmocouple so thathe valve would remain open.

I had a valve from an old gravity furnace. It had a standing pilot without a thermocouple.
                  Thoughthat I had kepthe valve when I installed a hot water heating system.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-03-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                    Can't afford one.

Could I make a furnace valve work - if it could flow the amount of gas necessary for proper operation?
                    I would need to defeathe.mocouple so thathe valve would remain open.

I had a valve from an old gravity furnace. It had a standing pilot without a thermocouple.
                    Thoughthat I had kepthe valve when I installed a hot water heating system.
                    How would you make it operate electrically? The type furnace gas valve you describe is probably a milivolt unit. It needs a power plile in the pilot flame to develop the voltage to run it. I caution you not to rig up some thing with gas involved, DANGEROUS! The Kiddie valve I noted in an earlier post is made specifically as a gas shut off device.

Comment

You can automate nearly anything. You can even have systems that will allow you to turn on/off things from your cell phone (which might be what you would really like).

But as a cheap and effective alternative, why not just give keys to a couple of trusted neighbors or nearby friends/relatives? You forget about the stove or clothes iron or whatever; you call; they go over and take care of it. And it's free.

Comment

you can put a big Red sign at the back door

Did you turn the stove off
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          you can put a big Red sign at the back door
                          Did you turn the stove off
                          I'd have to write it IN CHINESE!

Buthat's no fun.
                          Not afraid of gas if everything fits and seals - other than if it does not shut off when we are relying on it to close.

In our neighborhood, most people are at work. Our front door has a touchpad lock.
                          Sign is the best idea.

Comment

Zone valve?

Could a hot water heating system ZONE VALVE be powerful enough to turn off a gas valve in the cabinet under the stove?
                            I recall thathe zone valves also had an electrical contact which could be used to illuminate a GREEN lamp indicating thathe valve is closed.
                            Last edited by Robert Gift; 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Re: Zone valve?

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                              Could a hot water heating system ZONE VALVE be powerful enough to turn off a gas valve in the cabinet under the stove?
                              I am sorry but it is irresponsible to recommend a device to be used for gas service that is not rated for that purpose. Can you image the insurance company's reaction if there were a problem. "Sorry but we are not covering your house being destroyed in this explosion because it is totally your fault."

Comment

Working...
                              X