Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a lead and oakum seal

Hi,

I am remodeling a bathroom in a '63 house. How do I make a good seal with the sewer pipe?

See the attached image. I have removed the old lead and oakum seal. I tried this donut which I bought at Menards: Fernco Flexible Donuts but the donut is too small to fit tightly into the sewer pipe - there is a difference of about .200 inch in their diameters. The Fernco site says that I can custom order the correct size but I have not tried yet. I figure I'll wait until I am sure this is the right approach.

Thanks,
    -John
    Attached Files

Re: Replacing a lead and oakum seal

Update: I talked with Fernco and they told me this is a common application for their Donut product. I need to go through a distributor to order and I need to give them the dimensions of the bell and spigot.
    -John

Comment

I would replace the CI pipe and redo the joint, and then transition to ABS or PVC DWV...
      My first recommendation would be lead and oakum.
      Second, lead wool (if allowed) and oakum.
      Last would be the donut. They work.....but, I am not a big fan, cause lead is easier and a better fit.

It sure looks like the lead joint is still in place in your picture.

Comment

I removed the lead after taking the picture.

Could I have left it in or should I have taken it out to remake the joint?

-John

Comment

If it's below grade why not use a regular C.I gasket,SV C.I.,XH C.I. or they make them to go from a XH hub to SV pipe/SV hub to XH pipe......
          Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

How did you remove lead and oakum ?

Comment

Working...
            X