spray foam insulation to cover holes under vanity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spray foam insulation to cover holes under vanity

Like many bathroom sink vanities, mine has three pipes underneath (hot water, cold water, and drain) that go through holes in the vanity backing and into the wall. The holes are larger than the pipes and provide an opportunity for rodents or insects to enter, so I would like to plug/seal them around the pipes.

I am not ambitious enough to pull out the vanity and form a new wood backing with properly sized holes. I would like to simply cover the holes without turning this into a high-effort project.

A couple ideas:

> I could use duct tape, but I'm not sure how long the adhesive would stick to the surrounding wood.

> The holes are too big for caulking, but I might be able to use expanding spray foam. I have not used spray foam before, but the ads I've seen on TV make the latest spray foams look very useful.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or if you have experience with any particular brand of spray foam that works well. Thanks in advance.

Re: spray foam insulation to cover holes under vanity

Duct tape, seriously?

Comment

The hot and cold side already have those escutcheon's (collars/shrouds or whatever they are called) on them, but the holes are even larger. And OK, maybe duct tape was a dumb idea.

Comment

Spray foam can be really, REALLY MESSY. Don't ask me how I know.

Comment

Yep, I guess spray foam would be messy. Probably works best with narrow cracks and gaps.

I have another idea using plastic sheet. I will see what I can find at the hardware store tomorrow and report back when I settle on a solution.

Comment

I think i would stuff thé holes with steel wool and then caulk it with silicone that matches the color of your vanity then use a putty knife and smooth it out. The escusions will slide up use your duct tape to keep them up... I wouldnt do this on a customers house but i would do that before spray foam or duct tape. Hope this helps seanny

Comment

Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Photo attached.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like someone cut the holes large enough to push the angle stops through without taking them off? I wouldn't even worry about it, the holes in the vanity back up to the original wall where there is a tiny gap around the pipes. Caulk around the pipes if you're worried about bugs. Liquid Nails works really great for filling gaps and holes too, repaired the rusted out fenders on my old Ford with wire mesh and Liquid Nails, No Chit! LOL

Comment

Get ya something like paneling, or some stiff thin plastic or something. Cut it half, then carve cut or whatever on each half so that you can sort of put it on the wall and slide it around the pipes, since you aren't wanting to disassemble any plumbing, this is the easiest way. Then liquid nails it or caulk it to the wall, and finish up with caulking it around the edges and the seam down the middle and around the pipes, then slide the escuteons back to the wall.

Comment

I make my own scutchens from Lincoln hub caps. Where the hell is Marin co. ? TEXAS ? Post 5000 where's My Prize??
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Texas Road House.

Comment

WOW! talk about sloppy work!

The area is too tight for spray foam as it will make a total mess.
                          Keep in mind there are various types of spray foam...
                          You have max expansion to minimal expansion types.

By looking at the photo I see only the thickness of the rear panel
                          I would TRY simply using drywall mud...

lightly dampen the drywall in the opening..if there is insulation or debris in the holes remove it.
                          Then apply a few light coats of drywall mud and smooth to the wood panel.

This is a bit unorthodox but the rear panel will not be moving...
                          the pipes should not be moving...and all you want to do is fill the hole openings...

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            I make my own scutchens from Lincoln hub caps. Where the hell is Marin co. ? TEXAS ? Post 5000 where's My Prize??
                            Congratz TOOL on the big 5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the good input. This would have been vastly easier if the hole in the drywall were simply caulked before the vanity was installed.

Question: If a plumber creates a hole in the drywall for pipe, who is generally responsible to fill in around the hole with caulk or other covering? Is it the plumber, or would it be someone in the finishing trades? Same question could apply to an electrician who pulls wires through a hole in the wall.
                              Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 10-04-2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X