X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Remove Lead Drain Pipes

I'm remodeling the only bathroom (2nd floor) in my brick row home built in 1954
    Removed all mosaic tile flooring
    Floor joists are 2x8... Bathroom is approx 30 sq ft

Lead drain from bathtub to CI stack
    Lead drain plus H & C supply in concrete and ceramic tile wall to CI stack
    Big Big Lead from toilet to CI stack

Want to remove all Lead and replace with PVC
    Plumber wants to Torch Lead to remove from stack

Read somewhere that Lead can be cut with a saw and the oakum removed with some special tool
    or screwdriver, etc

Want to remove all Lead as safely as possible (No Torch's Please)
    With no damage to CI stack

Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated

I Thank you in advance for your time and expertise. I look forward to hearing from you.

Re: How to Remove Lead Drain Pipes

Without seeing your set up...most of the time there is a brass caulking ferrule from the lead to the cast iron....you can cut the lead right at the start of the brass...then use a no-hub band coupling on the brass and run pvc back to the tub....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I have seen similiar set ups, Ci to randomly run/bent led pipes and what not. I either cut the cast iron with a chain style cutter and use no hub bands, usually with the lip inside them with the stainless band for support and strength, and if you don't have access to a chain cutter, patience and a few saw zaw blades will cut the cast and cut out the lead pipe and then follow with the no hubs and new pvc. If that is possible in your situation. If you do cut the cast just remember to support it because there may be nothing else holding the weight going up. Without seeing the actual situation this is my best guess for a solution.

Comment

The best way to cut it out I've found is to ask your friends if they know a good Licensed Plumber.
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Ahhhhh, as much as I would LOVE to tell you how, you're not a plumber, or apprentice

So good luck mang.

Comment

Guys, they stated a plumber wants to torch it out, from reading the post, I think they are asking if there is safer ways, ie not filling the home with fumes from torching lead... But I could be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
              Guys, they stated a plumber wants to torch it out, from reading the post, I think they are asking if there is safer ways, ie not filling the home with fumes from torching lead... But I could be wrong...
              After re reading, I think you are right.

There are other methods, yes. Discuss them with your plumber. If not satisfied, call someone else.

Comment

Thanks Alphacowboy for taking the time to read my post. You are correct. As I said, just looking for some alternative other than torching.
                Have contacted many plumbers and they all want to use that torch. The last plumber said he could do the job using a low heat torch.
                Maybe by just heating the lead it could be removed more safely.
                I have an oak wood ceiling below this bathroom floor. This is another reason for my concern.

Comment

I wouldnt use a torch, but make sure they have good liiability insurance and let them do their thing...i wouldnt take advise from a home owner that got advise on the intternet cause its my insurance which i should know the limitations of and im a professional, as long as your hiring certified refrenced trades people you shouldnt have to second guess them you could always try you tube cast to pvc connections or something along those lines... I d probally cut it. Out and use a ci to pvc fernco and replace From thé lowest connections up with pvc but Thats just me.
                  Last edited by seanny deep; 10-08-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, it should be cut out. I wouldn't use a torch.

Comment

Thanks for your reply and reassurance. I have a licensed insured plumber who I trust, but when I hear that T.... word I get very nervous.
                      I am a retired lady who enjoys home repairs (owned my home for 42yrs)
                      Took all summer to demo mosaic tile concrete wire lath floor. Used cold chisel mini sledge and wet towels. It was lots of fun.
                      Just curious about How 2 remove oakum ...
                      Should ask Uncle Robert (86 yrs old) Master Plumber...maybe he will remember How 2

Comment

Doesn't anybody in PA own a sawzall?
                        sigpic

Comment

Exactly...even my Dremel will work

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Doesn't anybody in PA own a sawzall?
                            That was My only thought .Clean cut, and Why would You eat the lead fumes ? I question using any tradesman that would go the torch way! I'm guessing they're are folks that never wiped lead. No, I never have either.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                            X