Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
maximum length of horizontal line Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • maximum length of horizontal line

    I have few questions about the horizontal lines:

    1. is there a maximum length limitation for a toilet sewage line can go horizontally above the ground even with a proper slope? if yes, what's the number?

    2. if I have a 52' long horizontal toilet drain line along basement wall with a proper slope, how many vents are needed just for this horizontal line? There will be a vent just after the toilet.

    3. is there a maximum length limitation for a horizontal vent line?

    4. Read following from other forum, why there is a maximum fall requirement?

    The drain line should have a minimum fall of 1/8" per foot (an 8' line would have 1" offall from end to end) and a maximum of 1/4" per foot.

    thanks,

  • #2
    Re: maximum length of horizontal line

    There is no maximum, and no need for intermediate vents. Under the UPC, a 3" line must slope 1/4" per foot, but a 4" pipe can slope 1/8" per foot. The most important thing on a long line like that is to be sure it is straight...no sags or bellies, because that WILL cause problems.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: maximum length of horizontal line

      1/8" slope is minimum underslab as long as Its 4" pipe or larger, above slab you must have 1/4" ?* foot fall their is no maximum that i am aware of 52' seems like ?* big basement. You cannot run horizontal vents untill your above thé flood level rim of thé toilet. So yes thé limitation is Its illégal to run flat vents ...vents côme off before fixtures Not after unless Wet venting such as bathroom groups. Seanny
      Last edited by seanny deep; 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: maximum length of horizontal line

        Originally posted by thisnewowner View Post
        I have few questions about the horizontal lines:

        1. is there a maximum length limitation for a toilet sewage line can go horizontally above the ground even with a proper slope? if yes, what's the number?

        2. if I have a 52' long horizontal toilet drain line along basement wall with a proper slope, how many vents are needed just for this horizontal line? There will be a vent just after the toilet.

        3. is there a maximum length limitation for a horizontal vent line?

        4. Read following from other forum, why there is a maximum fall requirement?

        The drain line should have a minimum fall of 1/8" per foot (an 8' line would have 1" offall from end to end) and a maximum of 1/4" per foot.

        thanks,
        Be careful asking Code questions on the Internet as it is often wrong. Here is a link to your Plumbing Code. I suggest your read the information for yourself.

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: maximum length of horizontal line

          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Be careful asking Code questions on the Internet as it is often wrong. Here is a link to your Plumbing Code. I suggest your read the information for yourself.

          Mark
          Sheriff...

          Who was that guy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: maximum length of horizontal line

            horizontal is unlimited, except for the fact at a certain point you'll end up in china

            but the practical answer is although it's unlimited, use common sense when running a toilet or powder room toilet as the low flow toilets of today, 1.6 - 1.28gpf are not sufficient to carry a load that far unassisted. meaning, you need to have a shower or other clean/ grey water type fixture in line with it to assist. this is not a code issue yet, but a real life honest to goodness years of experience answer. you will thank me later when you don't have stoppages.

            ps. a bathroom sink doesn't qualify as an assist to the toilet.

            too many large scale places i've worked on have a powder room anywhere from 40'-70 away from other fixtures. lines are properly installed and perfectly clean. the load runs out of steam literally

            thin about how little water a 1.6 or 1.28 flush is compared to an original 3.5-7.5 flush of yesteryears.

            of course if it's only a mens #1 toilet, the sky's the limit

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: maximum length of horizontal line

              Take HJ's advice. You're in Mass and they have their own code. Under the IPC the toilet to vent distance is unlimited but Mass will require one located per size of your horizontal run.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: maximum length of horizontal line

                I'm an Old Mass Hole Myself. Hire a plumber ,They'll bust Your Azz. Go Sharks N Niners. Bless Ted Williams, and Bobby Orr
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: maximum length of horizontal line

                  As BUZZ LIGHTYEAR would say " TO INFINITY AND BEYOND "
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: maximum length of horizontal line

                    I just noticed that you are from MA. We don't care what you do,....but your code is different,and Speaker of the House Sal DiBiasi will throw your keister in jail if you are caught plumbing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: maximum length of horizontal line

                      Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                      I just noticed that you are from MA. We don't care what you do,....but your code is different,and Speaker of the House Sal DiBiasi will throw your keister in jail if you are caught plumbing
                      Funny Guy, I escaped Mass. over 30 Years ago. Have Been a Lic B Ca. Gen. since then. I do all My plumbing Under the Ca. G.C. 3 trade Rule. Lots in S.F. Where the toughest Inspectors dwell. Now doesn't that break Your Heart? Suck It Up Buttercup
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: maximum length of horizontal line

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        horizontal is unlimited, except for the fact at a certain point you'll end up in china

                        but the practical answer is although it's unlimited, use common sense when running a toilet or powder room toilet as the low flow toilets of today, 1.6 - 1.28gpf are not sufficient to carry a load that far unassisted. meaning, you need to have a shower or other clean/ grey water type fixture in line with it to assist. this is not a code issue yet, but a real life honest to goodness years of experience answer. you will thank me later when you don't have stoppages.

                        ps. a bathroom sink doesn't qualify as an assist to the toilet.

                        too many large scale places i've worked on have a powder room anywhere from 40'-70 away from other fixtures. lines are properly installed and perfectly clean. the load runs out of steam literally

                        thin about how little water a 1.6 or 1.28 flush is compared to an original 3.5-7.5 flush of yesteryears.

                        of course if it's only a mens #1 toilet, the sky's the limit

                        rick.
                        Well played my friend, well played.

                        You have the ring, and I see your Schwartz is as big as mine. Now let's see how well you handle it. -Dark Helmet

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X