Simple Bathroom-Sink Pop-Up Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Bathroom-Sink Pop-Up Question

The stopper doesn't lift high enough for the drain to keep up with input from the fawcet. The drain itself is not clogged, as demonstrated by pulling up on the stopper by hand. The horizontal arm is engaged in the hole in the bottom of the pop-up ("locked position," hole facing rear of sink as instructed), and the pop-up strap is adjusted correctly to push the horizontal rod down as far as it will go. I can only think of four possible solutions:

1) Switch to "unlocked position" with the horizontal arm not engaged in the hole (but this would seem to make the problem even worse).

2) Rotate the pop-up 180 degrees so that the hole faces the front of the sink (but I suppose the horizontal arm won't be long enough to engage on that side).

3) Buy a slightly taller pop-up (but I don't know if they come in different lengths, nor can I see any brand labeling on the pop-up).

4) Screw the pivot assembly more tightly into the sink-flange assembly to raise the horizontal arm, hence the pop-up (but this will involve other joints as well, and I don't know whether it is already as tight as it will go).

Before I start tearing things apart (it's in a difficult location to access, and it gets constant use), I would appreciate advice on which (if any) of the above alternatives is likely to be the easiest and/or most satisfactory. -- JClarkW

Re: Simple Bathroom-Sink Pop-Up Question

I would go with number 1, disconnect it and position it in a higher position. Or if you have another hole in the vertical assembly to lower the horizontal to make it rise up higher. Very common problem. Or, call a plumber. ;-)

Comment

a couple of questions. is the faucet aereator truly a 2.25gallon per minute aereator?

does it drain fast enough without the stopper?

there are higher end pop up stoppers that have an adjustable screw to raise the stopper even higher as long as the travel of the ball and rod/ horizontal rod is enough travel to raise and close the stopper. also check to make sure the sink overflow is clean. a dirty overflow will cause the sink to drain slower that normal.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Just rotate the stopper 180 degrees. The horizontal arm will lock into the pop-up and it will work perfect.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Interesting... (Sorry it took me so long to get around to this; I guess you've all forgotten long since.)

Thanks for all the suggestions; but as it happens, you were all wrong: Instead of an off-center hole in the base of the pop-up, this one is adjustable. It has a centered hole on a threaded rod with a lock nut to position it at the right height. Piece of cake! -- JClarkW

Comment

you couldn't figure that out before you asked the ?

Comment

As with much of plumbing, simple is not always so simple. Your responders "were all wrong" because they didn't have enough information. Had you mentioned that the stopper had an eyelet bolt threaded into it, the first response you received would have been to adjust the the bolt to the desired height. Plus, Rick's warning about the travel of the lift rod comes into play on some faucets with this type of pop up.
              Fixed stopper:
              http://www.faucetdepot.com/product-i...02-graphic.jpg
              Adjustable stopper:
              http://www.guillens.com/images/GRO/350/GRO28957AV0.jpg
              Last edited by Plumbus; 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the wild goose chase. "Wrong" was certainly a poor word choice.

Comment

Working...
                X