X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rd8000 Ridgid Generator

I purchased this generator within the past two years so far it has been great. I use it for a hunting camp to power a well pump,and some light electricity when needed. There are times when we have work parties that require running the gen for long periods of time no matter how we've used it it runs fine. We have 480 hours on it and I have changed the oil at 50 hours, and evey 100 hours since then.I've cleaned the air filter also. This past weekend one member was running the gen and after 6-7 hours he noticed the lights beginning to dim, as if the gen was running out of gas, but when he went out to check the gen it was running and wasn't out of gas but the lights were dimming and brightening, When I checked it the next day sure enough it was doing the same thing so I checked the voltage coming in and saw 100 Volts and flucuating. I next went to the gen itself to check, to eliminate the breaker, I got the same readings at the gen outlets, both 120v, and 250 outlets. Any ideas? I believe we lost one leg of the output phase. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Re: rd8000 Ridgid Generator

Originally posted by rayd52 View Post
    I purchased this generator within the past two years... Thanks, Ray
    Three year warranty.
    Don't try a self repair, you may void the warranty.

Having said that, you've likely got a faulty regulator or possibly worn brushes and/or dirty slip rings. But the only way to accurately check the generator's output is underneath the black end cover at the stator's terminal block.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks Doctordeere, I just read the owners manual and discovered that same thing wow! a three year warranty. I went online ti Ridgid to find my nearest authorized service center and will bring the generator to them. Is this condition something that is common in these generators? If so, is there a way or maintianence procedure to prevent this? I read the manual and the only maintainence it tells you is spark plugs, air filter and oil.

Comment

Originally posted by rayd52 View Post
        Is this condition something that is common in these generators? If so, is there a way or maintianence procedure to prevent this?
        Common in all generators, not just Ridgid's.
        No, it's not a maintenance issue. The brushes just wear out occasionally... but not at 480 hours (unless there's an alignment issue between the brushes and the rotor's slip rings).

I worked on one today with 830 hours and it still had over 40% brush life remaining. Unfortunately, it also still had the original spark plug & air filter, and what looked like the oil it was originally shipped with. NEVER underestimate the power of stoopid.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
          I worked on one today with 830 hours and it still had over 40% brush life remaining. Unfortunately, it also still had the original spark plug & air filter, and what looked like the oil it was originally shipped with. NEVER underestimate the power of stoopid.

That is only 34 days of continuous use, that aint so bad!
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
            That is only 34 days of continuous use, that aint so bad!
            Nah. Not bad at all.
            Like my brother's neighbor... who wonders why his truck died so young... shortly after he performed its first oil change at 35,000 miles.

Comment

For synthetic, that aint so bad!

Shoot, on my older trucks, that was about my oil change interval, my oil always looked clean. Of course there was a oil slick everywhere I parked because I would leak more oil than what I would burn. I would spin on a new filter every 7K or so.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Thanks Doc, brought the generator to the authorized repair person and as you stated it is under warranty and will not cost us a cent.I'll let you know how it turns out when we get it back. Rayd52

Comment

I have a new Ridgid RD8500 generator and it does not want to start or stops during normal operation. I have cleaned all fuel lines and all fluids are at the levels they are suppose to be. It has an automatic starter and when trying to start the unit, it sounds like it is not getting fuel, however, there is no blockage from the tank to the carburetor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Have been running my rd8000 12~14 hours a day for past 7 days due to Sandy. I have been noticing when I run it above half load it burns oil. 10~12 oz's a day if I run a few hours in the 6~7 kW range. I have been filling it with cheap supermarket 10w30 because that is all I could find during storm. Not sure if the cheapo stuff makes a diffference??

I'm approaching the 200th hour and was only able to find a 5 quart bottle of 10w30 Mobil One Full Stnthetic. Any disadvantage to using this when I change the oil?
                    thanks

Comment

I too have been running my rd8000 during Sandy and still continue to as we've yet to regain power back to our community. I've used both synthetic as well as regular and it seems like there's little noticeably difference....either way it's been burning a few oz's of oil every 12-18 hours of use. I can't tell if it's supposed to do that (normal or not) but it's happening. Perhaps someone more seasoned in using these can answer the oil burning question we both have.

I can't tell how many watts I'm using but I'm powering my whole house with the occasional addition of microwave, hair dryer and toaster oven. I've been changing the oil every 60 hours of use with topping the oil off every 12-18 hrs (turning it off to do so). It seems like regardless of synthetic or regular, the color and feel of the oils from either is relatively the same. I know it's not very scientific....and maybe due to my intervals of oil change being more frequent is diminishing the ability to discern durability and/or longevity....but there's some feedback re: your oil issue.

Luckily, after Irene last year, I learned that relying on gasoline as my primary source of fuel for the generator is foolish nor sustainable, I've since converted to Natural Gas and hooked up to my home and have had no issues. On my 320th hour today and just replaced the spark plug and cleaned the filter. I keep the 5 gal gas tanks full really as a back up and/or mobile or for the car.

For those more seasoned, some additional questions:

1. During cleaning of the air filter, I found some oil residue. I read the manual and in the filter cleaning section, the instructions comment on lubricating the element with lubricant (I suspect engine oil)....I just can't figure out whether it's supposed to have oil there or not and where the oil is coming from? Are the oil levels too high?

2. Engine burning through oil...is it normal? It's not a lot but on the dip stick probably down half way from full.

3. Other then typical oil, air filter and spark plugs, any other items of concern for maintenance and checkups?

Thanks for any comments or answers.
                      Last edited by sjlucky; 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X