X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moen facet

I can't get the stem out of our bathroom moen faucet, I have the pin out it should come out but seems to be really stuck any ideas? I tried using visegrips to yank on it but to no avaail. HELP

Re: moen facet

If you have a single handle 1225 cartridge, the new cartridge (free from Moen) will come with a little plastic insert tool that you can put on the old one and rotate the stem with an adjustable wrench to loosen it , it will come out- never had one that didn't come out. Now if you have the 2 handle faucet, Those cartridges can be a real b_____ to get out. In one case I had to drill mine out. There is a thread on that whole topic, but you have to search for it.

Comment

they make a puller. sounds like you have an original brass stem.

the puller will either yank out the entire cartridge or just the inner core stem. then the puller has a ball bearing that will insert into the core and engage into the core body port. this allows you to pull it out.

a vice grip will pull the center stem and a 1/2'' pipe easy out will pull the core.

never fun without the proper tools or hands on experience. but it will come out.

either the o-rings have pinched or the brass is really pitted.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
        How old are those Moen brass stems you talk about? I've never seen a brass one and ones I work on are up to 20 -23 years old.

Comment

Its a single handle about 15 yrs old I have a new brass stem and a new plastic stem the plastic stem has all the rubber on the lower end while the brass is all over it, I did find the plastic tool you were talking
          about I will try that and let you all know thanks so much. Ken

Comment

that little plastic tool did the trick, now do I need to put any lube on the stem before I put it together? Ken

Comment

I usually put faucet grease on them before reinstalling them.

Originally posted by oleboy View Post
              that little plastic tool did the trick, now do I need to put any lube on the stem before I put it together? Ken
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Look inside the brass valve body make sure there is no crap in it....if there is use a soft coth to clean...do not scratch the brass in anyway. coat the cartridge (on the rubber parts) and I usually put a bit inside the valve body also...slide it in slowly.....should be ok....don't forget to put the clip back on.

Comment

All back together and working fine the first stem would not completely go all the way in so I tried another I had ( a friend gave me a cigar box fill of faucet repair parts) and it fit perfectly I did use a little
                  vasoline, I got a few brownie points from the wife, and I agree I am no rocket scienctist or license plummer just a retired home owner tiring to save a buck during these hard economic times. Thanks again toall
                  Ken

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa....did you actually use Vaseline or the lube that came from Moen? Vaseline is a no-no on rubber parts since it is petroleum based. It will swell and deteriorate rubber parts. You need to use silicon based product specificallly for plumbing. It can be picked up at any big box stores in the plumbing dept. If you did use vaseline the stem should be removed and cleaned out and reinstalled with the proper product.

Comment

In the old days faucets were made differently/better, and as such rebuilding was a good thing. Now you have to determine if theres any warpage of the valve body, pitting of the brass, scaring of the brass, hair line cracking. These are all issues that as plumbers we are not addequately equiped to diagnose, a machineist is. As a service manager I have directed my guys to replace faucets not rebuild them. We cant 100% guarantee that rebuilding will solve a leaky/drippy faucet isue, even though it commonly does. I have found that about 1 out of 10 rebuilds is a failure, either instantly or shortly in the future. If you rebuild and it doesnt work out guess who gets there name smeered all over the internet. As a professional I dont think we should recommend a rebuild to or customers unless we are equiped to tell them with 100% certanty that there issue will be solved permanently. Whats your thoughts???????????????????

Comment

Moen now says don't add any more grease to the single handles like the 1225's....sometimes too much will make the faucet not stay off....its weird but it happened to me....turned in off and the stem slowly came back out!!!
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by money in jetting View Post
                          In the old days faucets were made differently/better, and as such rebuilding was a good thing. Now you have to determine if theres any warpage of the valve body, pitting of the brass, scaring of the brass, hair line cracking. These are all issues that as plumbers we are not addequately equiped to diagnose, a machineist is. As a service manager I have directed my guys to replace faucets not rebuild them. We cant 100% guarantee that rebuilding will solve a leaky/drippy faucet isue, even though it commonly does. I have found that about 1 out of 10 rebuilds is a failure, either instantly or shortly in the future. If you rebuild and it doesnt work out guess who gets there name smeered all over the internet. As a professional I dont think we should recommend a rebuild to or customers unless we are equiped to tell them with 100% certanty that there issue will be solved permanently. Whats your thoughts???????????????????
                          are you serious

what part of service and repair did you not learn

today the modern faucets are no longer washers and seats. their either a cartridge or a ceramic stem.

so basically when a faucet or shower / tub valve drips, you instruct your guys to replace the fixture and not service and repair it.

a ballcock gets replaced and not repaired?

you've got to be kidding us.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I've never repaired a ballcock in 24 years (replace guts) other than making an adjustment. Too easy and cheap to replace them.

Comment

noit when you have $200-300 ballcocks for 1 pc. toilets. kohler, case and american standard old school.

a $6.00 fluidmaster i can understand. but even then i carry the $1.50 seal for them.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X