X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well pump question

My well pump is set at 30 - 50 PSI ( I think ) It doesn't shut off when the PSI hits 50. It keeps running until the pressure blows a valve that shoots water all over my basement. Any idea what could be wrong? What triggers the pump to stop at 50 PSI or the top PSI that it is set at?

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Update:
    Just wanted to thank everyone. Changed out the stem and pressure switch. Works great. Won't have to get up at 2am and clean the water out of the basement.

Thanks Again.
    Last edited by wags1; 10-15-2011, 09:34 PM.

Re: well pump question

Try this.
    Search Results for pressure switch at The Home Depot
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I would most likely look at the pressure switch, and see it it is operating correctly, and or if the pipe to it is not clogged or mineralized up,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The pressure control switch controls the cut in & cut off for the well pump. Sounds like you have a clogged nipple to pressure switch or you have a bad pressure switch. I would get a new pressure gauge ( they are cheap & old ones usually aren't working correctly), a new nipple & a new pressure switch. You can tell which one you have by taking the cover off & looking at the label on the inside top of the cover. Then shut off the power to the pump , drain the tank, install new pressure gauge, nipple & pressure switch, take a tire pressure gauge & check the air pressure in the bladder tank this should be 2 psi below the cut in pressure. On a 30 - 50 switch this should be 28psi. Do not add air if too low. If it is way low time for a new tank. If it is couple lbs. low just adjust the switch accordingly. Turn on a hose bib ( I turn on a hose bib no screen or cartridge to get clogged up with junk that is the line), turn the power to the pump on, when the hose bib stops spiting air turn it off, check the cut in & cut off pressure settings. 30-50 switch should shut off at 50 psi. Once the pump stops running turn the water on to check the cut in pressure by turning on the water & watch the pressure gauge to see when the pump kicks on. The cut in pressure should be 2 psi above the air pressure in the bladder tank. If not adjust the switch which will have instructions on how to do it.

Comment

Man I type slow 2 people responded before I got done.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone. Changed out the stem and pressure switch. Works great. Won't have to get up at 2am and clean the water out of the basement.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Working...
            X