X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faucet cartridges

Is ceramic a good material for a faucet cartridge? I know plastic is cheap, is brass the 3rd option?

Re: faucet cartridges

ceramic is the best of the 3.

most ceramic have a lifetime warranty. you just call the company for replacements.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would say ceramic....but here is old school thinking by both consumers and suppliers.....what would your response to be to people that bring up sand etching the ceramics?
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Sand etching eh as money in jetting wore off on you dcman ...Jjk i think ceramic for sûre plus life time warranty as long as you have replacements shouldnt be a problem...i dont think...as long as your Not affraid to actually service * fixture instead of replacing it. Seanny
        Last edited by seanny deep; 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

ceramic happens to one of the longest lasting materials. the better jetter inserts are ceramic.

unless they build it out of carbide or diamond, ceramic is very, very durable.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
            Sand etching eh as money in jetting wore off on you dcman ...Jjk i think ceramic for sûre plus life time warranty as long as you have replacements shouldnt be a problem...i dont think...as long as your Not affraid to actually service * fixture instead of replacing it. Seanny
            That was very uncalled for!!! LOL.....Sand may not have been the right word...grit....maybe...or just hard water deposits? I guess what I am driving at is can ceramic be etched to start with? I live in a very rural community...we are about two years behind on plumbing technology and advances...And no, I repair faucets all the time....no problems...I don't know why one wouldn't repair over replace at least one time....

Derek

Comment

I come across just as many leaking cermic cartridges as I do ones with a seat and washer. ITs normal wear and tear.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                I come across just as many leaking cermic cartridges as I do ones with a seat and washer. ITs normal wear and tear.
                Wow...I thought that ceramic cartridge's where somewhat impervious to that kind of stuff...which I thought was supposed to be the "big" thing about why buy a ceramic disk faucet....which is why I asked in the first place...thanks!!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  Wow...I thought that ceramic cartridge's where somewhat impervious to that kind of stuff...which I thought was supposed to be the "big" thing about why buy a ceramic disk faucet....which is why I asked in the first place...thanks!!
                  It all depends on water quality, and how the faucet is used. Here is a picture of a shattered ceramic disc stem that was posted on PZ forums. I seen this happen a few times. In some cases it was a solder ball that flowed through and shattered it, others it was a small gravel that got in the plumbing from a main break. here is the link to the thread if you want to follow it. http://www.plumbingzone.com/f7/crush...r-stems-15588/

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    It all depends on water quality, and how the faucet is used. Here is a picture of a shattered ceramic disc stem that was posted on PZ forums. I seen this happen a few times. In some cases it was a solder ball that flowed through and shattered it, others it was a small gravel that got in the plumbing from a main break. here is the link to the thread if you want to follow it. Crushed Price Pfister ceramic shower stems - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum

Nice....couldn't see pics but that's okay....so in the end are you on board with ceramic faucets?

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                      Nice....couldn't see pics but that's okay....so in the end are you on board with ceramic faucets?
                      I like them in certain places. For example at a lab where they throttle the flow of the faucet, the ceramic works great.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                        Is ceramic a good material for a faucet cartridge? I know plastic is cheap, is brass the 3rd option?
                        Many ceramic disc carts are plastic body. So what you are really concerned with is the water-sealing material. Plastic, brass, are rarely seen. If not ceramic, then the sealing component is rubber. It might be compression...flat washer, rubber seat such as Delta, Valley, and many copy-cats, or o-rings and combos...pp, moen, etc. All have advantages and disadvantages. Even ceramics have rubber o-rings and rubber gasket body seals, which do fail.

Comment

Working...
                        X